What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I work on solving some of the world's probems -- at least a small sliver component of them -- at the UN/Geneva, the EU Parliament, and the US Congress, through a US registered NGO all whilst sitting at my computer in Isaan ... and I am a pain in the A&&ss to most but not all of them as well.

Noooo. I just can't believe you would be a pain in the A&&SS.

Well there's not much to do in agreeing with the accepted wisdom as it is, by definition, accepted. For me, on here or in the NGO world, the only real fun comes when you can spot a flaw in the accepted wisdom, and people, who have accepted the accepted wisdom, aren't always happy to have to deal with that.

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

Well there's not much to do in agreeing with the accepted wisdom as it is, by definition, accepted. For me, on here or in the NGO world, the only real fun comes when you can spot a flaw in the accepted wisdom, and people, who have accepted the accepted wisdom, aren't always happy to have to deal with that.

Sounds to me we are kindred spirits - iconoclasts.

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

yes, Cayman is costly the other two - not so

all 3 sport way better beaches than LoS

come to think of it, Luxembourg and Belgium also have fairly good arrangements for overseas earnings

little do you know. Luxembourg is about to abolish the flat 10% on interest income (which was limited to certain investments) and Belgium has a sky high income tax (50%!!!), even higher than my home country Germany where i would pay "only" ~46%.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, smotherb said:

So, you don't think many would stay for the weather and the temples?

The weather is the biggest draw for me.

Thai weather is one of the few things i hate.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Naam said:

a Learjet, a Lamborghini, two mistresses tucked away?

newwer.gif

Yes naam but you are replying to someone who says... But but I can buy all the Leo and Tiger I want every month.... 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sounds to me we are kindred spirits - iconoclasts.

Well just to keep it on-topic, the NGO costs me about $500 per year to keep going, and, other than that, it costs me virtually nothing to bang heads on a nearly daily basis, at times, with big shots around the world who, by all measures, shouldn't be giving someone like me the time of day. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Naam said:

people who find Thailand "not inexpensive" have never experienced a huge tax load in their home countries which evaporises in Thailand and therefore makes each and everything dàmn cheap. doesn't apply to U.S. Americans who feel the claws of the IRS no matter where they live.

You are free to put it that way if you so choose.  Not important to me.

You can't however get away from the fact that the USA has one of the lowest tax rates of the Western world countries.

17 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Biggest expenses

Fuel for cars - 12,000 pm

Alcohol - 0 to 20,000 pm

Books 100,000 in the last year

Books 100,000? Try kindle and www.bookbub.com - no need to pay anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Looks like you lead a modest, comfortable life here based on what you've revealed.

It would, however, be a very uncomfortable feeling to be at the edge of the income/outgoing envelope in a "low cost" place like Thailand, without much fat to cut off the bone if you needed to.  Or a viable plan/ability to increase the income amount.  Juxtaposed to life expectancy and the inevitable creep in cost of living.

Well, at least the OP's doin' ok for now.  A lot of folks aren't.image.png.76d82f2a50e3b238f6e7f064b1ff29ef.png

And if ever a medical or other emergency requiring  extra baht?

What then?

29 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Not true. I found life in SoCal very sanitized and bordering on boring. I decided I wanted to retire to the tropics, always wanted to live in the tropics after seeing Africa at seventeen, and Asia at nineteen......it just took a while. Also if I lived in any of the countries you mentioned I wouldn't be living with a beautiful woman at my retired age......maybe an overweight and angry woman, but not funny and sexy, and makes me laugh many times a day. A joy to be with. If I had big big money I might consider living in England in the summer, and Santa Barbara in the winter. But I do not, so I enjoy my later years happy and comfortable.

Being the bar fine guy kinda makes you the exception. Nothing wrong with enjoying the young thing on your arm but for the majority that's not a consideration, been there done that , learned and moved on. I will state again Thailand is perfect for folks looking to retire for less than $1200/month and old guys wanting to hang with young girls. IMHO people with more means would find the opportunity costs to great to remain here. It's like how much am I willing to pay per month for safer roads, clean air and water, real law enforcement, education and stable government. Start adding up the cost of those options and Thailand becomes a very expensive experience relative to allot of places. Seems to me if one is going to spend US$5000-6000 per month these options should be standard. Again Thailand is a very nice cheap destination when compared to others similar ie; Cambodia, Laos, VN, PP or Central and South America.

7 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

old guys wanting to hang with young girls. IMHO people with more means would find the opportunity costs to great to remain here. It's like how much am I willing to pay per month for safer roads, clean air and water, real law enforcement, education and stable government.

So where should I go for  safer roads, clean air and water, real law enforcement, education and stable government, and still be able to hang with young girls? 

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So where should I go for  safer roads, clean air and water, real law enforcement, education and stable government, and still be able to hang with young girls? 

Lot of places. Problem is we need to find a time machine to take you back 40 years to a time  when young girls were attracted to your abs and hair rather than the 1000baht glued to your balled head. Until then keep doing what makes you happy cause you got the right place ! Really the best reason to be here if that's what you're looking for.

7 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Lot of places. Problem is we need to find a time machine to take you back 40 years to a time  when young girls were attracted to your abs and hair rather than the 1000baht glued to your balled head. Until then keep doing what makes you happy cause you got the right place ! Really the best reason to be here if that's what you're looking for.

Nobody was ever attracted to my abs, it was always the money (or the house) they wanted.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Naam said:

little do you know. Luxembourg is about to abolish the flat 10% on interest income (which was limited to certain investments) and Belgium has a sky high income tax (50%!!!), even higher than my home country Germany where i would pay "only" ~46%.

(might have changed recently, but ..)

a number of very large European corporations some years ago shifted their cash handling to Belgium

these are corporations that do business in a way that require very very large sums of money, cash, available on very short notice

they keep the cash in Belgium and do some very short term international banking with them,

you know; very huge loans for 5 hours for 20 hours and then medium long term loans 2-3 days and some very long term loans 1-2 weeks

why?

minimum tax levied on that kind of activity in Belgium

25 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

I worked in Asia for almost 15+ years before moving to Thailand. In addition to a lot of what you say above, what attracted the Thai girls I have been with is that none spoke or yet speaks English so they needed to find a  sufficiently flush Thai-speaking farang. If not for that, esp. if you saw the girls in question, I wouldn't have stood a chance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Why is it survival....cos he eats the local cuisine? He has transport, a convenient located apartment just cos he dosnt eat at the top restaurants serving western food dosnt mean he is surviving.....and by the way, you can cook a steak or salmon meal at home for less than 80 Baht...

Gotta be kidding mate. Good food needs to be two to share. Ok, Thai  (tenderloin) beef for two is 300 Bahts minimum, proper Aussie beef is double that, add to this an ok mandatory bottle of wine and you get to 1500 -2000 with a bit of cold cut and apple pie with ice cream for dessert. That's at home; WC's overhead would only be 400 to 500, that's why I love them. 

BTW WC isn't Top, just a pleasant middle class western eatery, with a somewhat innovative business model.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

How my post managed to reinforce your view when I did nothing but take exception to it is beyond me. Oh well.

Maybe if you're pushing 80 or 90 years old, the uncertainty about whether social security is going to be there for you, or how your investment portfolio is going to perform in the coming years can be brushed aside, and a 'can't take it with you, might as well spend it while you can' mindset takes hold, but, fortunately, I'm not there yet.

It's a little insulting to keep telling everybody who says they're living below their means in reality just doesn't have the money to spend any more than they do.

Your first paragraph talked about not having enough to leave loved ones and the uncertainty of pensions and social security; which led me to think you were not spending money now because of those reasons. 

I am pushing 80, I am 73, but I have no pension and my social security is beer money in comparison to what I spend. However, as I said, we have already taken care of our son and my wife is taken care of on her own.  If for some reason pension, social security disappear and we blow all the liquid and non-liquid assets; well, we would't be alone we probably as we start living a meager existence.

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I also choose to have the convenience of deciding when I leave and when I go to any particular place - on my motorcycle... and I'll get there a lot quicker too and park anywhere too."

That's 100% accurate.

You don't mention if you feel it's a safe mode of transport?.

I think Motos. are incredibly unsafe, big or small.

Your thoughts on that matter?

My thoughts on the safety of "motos"? Of course, you bring up a good point that I didn't consider when discussing - "to own or not to own a car". Some people may prefer a car for the safety aspect vs "motos". I forgot because I don't consider "motos" dangerous, only the people who ride them. If you've driven around Pattaya for a day, you've witnessed crazy on "motos". I'm not one of them. "Motos" have riders that can choose how to ride.

Ultimately you do have to make a choice. Sitting in parking lots all day in air-conditioned cars, or getting around freely on "motos", with a slightly higher risk. 

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Realistic monthly Budget for a Retired:

Decent House        15000 no Pool/ 3 AC

Electric                      2500

Water                           150

Health Insurance     4500

Car Insurance             700

Benzin                        3000

Car Maintenance        700

Wifi/TV                         750

Phone/ Internet          400

Food                         15000

Traveling etc.          10000

So you will need 50- 60k THB/ Month.

My Experience after some Years on Westcoast for 2 Persons. Midle Class Car.

Thank you for sharing.
This gives me hope. 

Edited by BertBert

24 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Gotta be kidding mate. Good food needs to be two to share. Ok, Thai  (tenderloin) beef for two is 300 Bahts minimum, proper Aussie beef is double that, add to this an ok mandatory bottle of wine and you get to 1500 -2000 with a bit of cold cut and apple pie with ice cream for dessert. That's at home; WC's overhead would only be 400 to 500, that's why I love them. 

BTW WC isn't Top, just a pleasant middle class western eatery, with a somewhat innovative business model.

Yep, Aussie beef is around double that. I pay between 700 and 1000 baht per kilo for the cuts of Aussie beef I buy, but there are MUCH more expensive options than that, going well over 2000 baht per kilo for top quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

So, you don't think many would stay for the weather and the temples?

The bottom line for me is that I have "been there done that" all over the HUGE USA and Europe including years in Alaska.

I took a brutal financial beating during the Obama years. Ce la vie. No more Mercedes. But I can still live just fine in the USA as long as I am in the sticks...

But why? To see the same stuff over and over again? Spend my life a slave to the car? Listen to folks screaming at each other 24/7 over politics?

When I first went to Thailand it was for the chicks. I even got a midget! Everything else was a bonus, food,temples,wierd shit etc.

Now 25 or so years later, the Temples and food and wierd shit are the things I like to do. The chicks are a bonus. I don't smoke, drink to excess (a beer a day a the most)  don't give a hoot about Western food and am perfectly happy just chilling. 

I'll be there in a month or so and will be living on 40k a month. If I was teaching,that's what I would have. And ive gota lot of temples to see

We own our home and both cars are paid for.      When you figure in both health insurance for wife and myself, auto insurance for 2 cars and all the other living expenses it cost us around B 75,000 a month.    We don't try to live "cheap" but we don't piss money away either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BertBert said:

Thank to the contributors.
I will go to try to live with my girlfriend in Isaan (Buriram province).
6 to 8 month in Thailand, the other months in the Netherands, so I can keep my Health Insurance. (I am 66 years old.) 
But I have to pay for my appartment also. Double expenses.

We have build a house wich is not finished yet.
We need to build the kitchen annex, the ouside wall / fence.
And things like airco, freezer, TV etc.
But we can live in the house now.

So when that part is settled, we dont have housing expenseses.

My income will be around 2200 Euro. I need 800 for my appartment, taxes, insurance in the Netherlands, so I can spend 1400 Euro (55.000 THB) per month.

Thanks to what I have read untill now, I think we can make it.

Thank you too.

I was hoping many would share with others, and they have.

Without going into too much personal details. 

I think it's a great insight for new kids on the block. 

When I worked here I was on a good salary and perks. 

Now it's the pension and bank interest.

Plus a fall back account just in case.

I'm in the 50k to 60k bracket outgoing all up.

Exchange rate isn't helping. 

We all know that. 

I did try to add more.

It vanished somewhere...

I will try later again. 

Some really nice, knowledgeable people on here.

Thank you.

• Like 2