What do Scouts do in LOS?

thaibeachlovers

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, peterb17 said:

Actually I rather like the fact that Thais have a sense of identity and some pride in their country- and through the rules on land ownership have not been taken over by the Chinese. As always looking in from a Western point of view . 

Hitler Youth - a bit much

A bit of an idiot who thinks to be funny!

Edited by bermannor
addition

23 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

A rhetorical question?

Boy scouts at primary schools often don't even know the right greeting, called the Wittayahaht.

The kids from P. 1 to 3 have to use two fingers, the upper primary level 4 to 6 three fingers.

I went to a boy scout camp at the end of the P 6 school year and it was a nice adventure, even when I had to look after them. It's great to get to know them privately when you only know them from the classroom.

Foreign teachers should be more involved in such camps because it's a great chance to develop a good relationship which is important in the classroom. 

In P.5 and 6, they a sort of learn how to tie some knots, but not really.

At the high school, it seems that they're just wearing that uniform because it's Wednesday. When almost adults have to learn right and left in the heat, I don't see any useful outcome.

Boy scout seems to be one of the most hated subjects at Thai schools. Unfortunately, do the teachers not teach them what would be useful for their lives and marching in the boiling sun alone doesn't make them to scouts who can read maps and do things with wood that could be life-saving.  

Isn't it that 3 fingers are the official greeting and 2 finger with V the posing sign? And woh, how they hate being scounts!

Thai girl scout gredting 3.jpg

thai girl scout pin 3.jpg

On 7/30/2018 at 8:36 AM, Stupooey said:

Thai scouts are more like a paramilitary organisation - I've heard them compared to the Hitler Youth - which no doubt instils a sense of the brand of Thainess promoted by our beloved leaders. When I was teaching in Bangkok, the sight of kids as young as 6 being forced to frog march round the playground and salute the pompous Scoutmaster used to turn my stomach. A scene more suited to North Korea or the Stalin era Soviet Union.

They are nothing like the Hitler youth. Silly idea

• Like 1

14 hours ago, seancbk said:

You can read some great info about Scouting in Thailand at this link - http://www.thaiscouting.com/

When I was about 10-11 years old my mother was the Camp Commissioner for the Hong Kong Girls Guides.  Rather than join the Cubs I instead went to Girl Guide meetings with her and used to go on their camping trips.  I have fond memories of being the only boy amongst a load of 11-18 year old girls who were blossoming into young women ?  

You jammy blighter.

Nowadays you would be a victim of serious group sexual assault, subjected to hours and hours of counselling to help you recover from your traumatic experiences.

4 hours ago, champers said:

You jammy blighter.

Nowadays you would be a victim of serious group sexual assault, subjected to hours and hours of counselling to help you recover from your traumatic experiences.

I try every day to relive it ?

5 hours ago, The manic said:

They are nothing like the Hitler youth. Silly idea

Although my original remark was somewhat flippant, based on a couple of slightly tongue-in-cheek comments made to me by other English teachers, there are probably more similarities than you think. As I understand it, the original Hitler Youth was based very much on the Scouting movement, although over time considerably more emphasis was given to military-type training and nationalist indoctrination (sound familiar?). By the mid 1930's it had become a very different animal, although when Scouting was banned in 1935 its remaining members were, I believe, made to join the Hitler Youth instead.

14 hours ago, bermannor said:

Isn't it that 3 fingers are the official greeting and 2 finger with V the posing sign? And woh, how they hate being scounts!

Thai girl scout gredting 3.jpg

thai girl scout pin 3.jpg

IIRC the international Scout salute uses the 3 fingers of the right hand and the Cub salute uses 2 fingers of the right hand. The girls in both photos are correct.

• Like 1