wife buying land in Thailand

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

The point is I don't need advice on the economics of the deal.  Simply the process of getting the deal done.  So all the recipe for disaster talk pretty much means nothing to me.

If you care to read my original reply, the recipe for disaster related to getting things done in Thailand, without actually being present.

It rarely goes the way you expect. How do you know the value of land in that area ? Your wife might tell you it's worth double but she is setting her family up for the future, so whats a little white lie ?

Fingers crossed that it all pans out well for you, it certainly will for Mum, sister and maybe a couple others...

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

If you care to read my original reply, the recipe for disaster related to getting things done in Thailand, without actually being present.

It rarely goes the way you expect. How do you know the value of land in that area ? Your wife might tell you it's worth double but she is setting her family up for the future, so whats a little white lie ?

Fingers crossed that it all pans out well for you, it certainly will for Mum, sister and maybe a couple others...

I've shopped pretty extensively in that area.  It's on a paved roadway in an excellent area.  Absolutely this is a bargain price.  Of course it will work out well for her mother and sister.  That's my intent!  This way my wife feels like her family is secure.  Effective cost to me is next to nothing.  

My wife's cousin's boyfriend is very rich but has outlived his means.  Having cash at this time is what helps me do this deal.  I never borrow money or buy on credit, just pay cash for things I buy.  

well, you say that you have figured out how to do it.   if so,  then no more questions?  

The fact that someone (cousins boyfriend) needs money quickly is a red flag.   Its all a little confusing

to me...but here is my suggestion:   WHOEVER is the owner on the chanote should make a contract

with the person your wife trusts .  This can be done simply at the poo yaa bahns house with him being the WITNESS.   This contract should state details of piece of land (on Chanote #.......) and the selling

price.  The name of purchaser will be your WIFE with her disignated person written in as having the

power of atty. to sign this agreement.  

Better yet would be to have it done in a lawyers office.

ANY  documents your wife needs to sign must be notarized AND then brought to a THAI embassy or consulate for their notarization ( embassy might not need outside notarization)  CALL them.

This can be difficult it you are not physically near a consulate or embassy !   I know this all from experience with my daughter sending me a POA (form from land office here).

like i said...if you want to do quick and feel its ok......do a simple contract at poo yai bahns house then

send the money   :-).    and take your chances.

16 minutes ago, rumak said:

well, you say that you have figured out how to do it.   if so,  then no more questions?  

The fact that someone (cousins boyfriend) needs money quickly is a red flag.   Its all a little confusing

to me...but here is my suggestion:   WHOEVER is the owner on the chanote should make a contract

with the person your wife trusts .  This can be done simply at the poo yaa bahns house with him being the WITNESS.   This contract should state details of piece of land (on Chanote #.......) and the selling

price.  The name of purchaser will be your WIFE with her disignated person written in as having the

power of atty. to sign this agreement.  

Better yet would be to have it done in a lawyers office.

ANY  documents your wife needs to sign must be notarized AND then brought to a THAI embassy or consulate for their notarization ( embassy might not need outside notarization)  CALL them.

This can be difficult it you are not physically near a consulate or embassy !   I know this all from experience with my daughter sending me a POA (form from land office here).

like i said...if you want to do quick and feel its ok......do a simple contract at poo yai bahns house then

send the money   :-).    and take your chances.

Let's talk about the POA.  I trust both the registered owner of the land  (my wife's cousin) and her sister, who could be POA for us.  We can get the POA form notarized in Thailand because they have a family friend who is a notary.   So we're having my wife's sister send the form to us, we're sending it back signed.  My wife's sister will have it notarized and then will consummate the deal for us as POA.  This seems to be the simple way of doing it.

if the family friend will notarize the form......( and nobody says that your wife is living out of the country

to the land office).  Unless "friends" with land office, they will insist on embassy notarization........ by all means give it a go

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

if the family friend will notarize the form......( and nobody says that your wife is living out of the country

to the land office).  Unless "friends" with land office, they will insist on embassy notarization........ by all means give it a go

Why would a Thai National need an Embassy notarisation? Signature and passport copy or ID would be enough.

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Why would a Thai National need an Embassy notarisation? Signature and passport copy or ID would be enough.

read the whole post.    the wife (thai national ) is NOT IN THAILAND.    For any official documents such as a Power of Atty......the thai govt requires her to get proof of her signature in person at a consulate or embassy .

31 minutes ago, rumak said:

That's what we're going to do.

2 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

We're in mid Florida.  I called Atlanta and they told me that the only place that would stamp it in America was Washington DC.    That's a big trip.  Will call the Miami office tomorrow.  

if there was ever one thing that you could count on......it would be getting different answers from different

locations/persons.   

My poa (more than one) was done in canada and the office in toronto did it for my daughter (to me).

She thought she would have to go to Ottawa but that was not needed.   remember, this was in our case.

others results can be different.

In the States,  if i were you i would call Miami ( thai consulate ?)  I also would try to ask simple question

like:   Can you notarize my form that i need to send to thailand.   If too much detail, etc they might just

get confused  ?   Yes, you can say it is a POA for wife's sister. BTW:  POA form should be from land office AND your wife will have to know how to fill out .   Land office has an "example" that you can look

at to help with yours.

1 minute ago, rumak said:

if there was ever one thing that you could count on......it would be getting different answers from different

locations/persons.   

My poa (more than one) was done in canada and the office in toronto did it for my daughter (to me).

She thought she would have to go to Ottawa but that was not needed.   remember, this was in our case.

others results can be different.

In the States,  if i were you i would call Miami ( thai consulate ?)  I also would try to ask simple question

like:   Can you notarize my form that i need to send to thailand.   If too much detail, etc they might just

get confused  ?   Yes, you can say it is a POA for wife's sister. BTW:  POA form should be from land office AND your wife will have to know how to fill out .   Land office has an "example" that you can look

at to help with yours.

Now that's some reasonable advice.  This is what I was hoping for when I posed the question.   Unfortunately, 80% of the responses on this board are how everyone is trying to cheat you, ad nauseum.  Appreciate an intelligent answer!

3 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

Now that's some reasonable advice.  This is what I was hoping for when I posed the question.   Unfortunately, 80% of the responses on this board are how everyone is trying to cheat you, ad nauseum.  Appreciate an intelligent answer!

mai pen rai......off for a bike ride now

IMG_1439.JPG

10 hours ago, MadameM said:

You know what, you may be right. I did this in 2005. The law may be changed. Anyway, I rest my case. I got the land the way I did - I'm lucky, perhaps. And I'm coming to live my retired life happily on this land starting next month. I can't hold on my excitement any more. You're invited to visit us and we can discuss more on the issue. ?

Pls send a personal message. I would love to meet you 

On 8/2/2018 at 7:21 AM, thailand49 said:

Thai people especially family, in general, think they know more than us simply because we aren't Thai.

I sure the sister had something to do with the sale of the land. Great deal etc etc.. because the money is coming basically from a Farang and cash. It a lottery winning!

Personally, the owner hasn't been able to sell the land because very few got the cash and can't get a loan.

So tough on you but tell your wife NO but hell NO, just kidding smile and make an excuse we will just have to wait until she can go visit, see, and register it herself. Sister or family member most likely getting a commission or like many Thais think the ATM is going to change their mind.

What can I say except what a pile of utter nonsense!  The only thing you say that makes any sense to me is that most don't have cash.  That is true all over the world.  I make sure I have cash so I am never in a weak position to buy anything.  I've never been anywhere that doesn't work.

6 hours ago, medic5678 said:

What can I say except what a pile of utter nonsense!  The only thing you say that makes any sense to me is that most don't have cash.  That is true all over the world.  I make sure I have cash so I am never in a weakon to buy anything.  I've never been anywhere that doesn't work.

Oh, I get it now one of those guys who think they know it all but put a post asking for help and when they don't get an answer all sugar coated they start to whine.  For the record what is nonsense is if you have so much money <deleted> are you even posting here asking for advice just do it! instead of trying to tell me you don't do anything or go anywhere unless you have the cash!

No one is saying you don't have the money the point I'm trying to make to you is your wife can wait until she has the time to get back to Thailand to buy the land in person. The land isn't going anywhere and I stand by my comments sure people all over the world might not have money but hear this we are talking about Thailand. So in your case, the land isn't in Bangkok most likely in your case the land is upcountry and Thais, in general, don't have that lump sum lying around like you rich man so the land isn't going anywhere fast. bye

Hello I too am from the USA and have some experience that may be of some assistance. My wife is  Thai and we have and have purchase 3 houses and 3 plots of land in both Pai and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

It sounds plausible that your wife can use a power of attorney for her purchase while not in Thailand but where I see you might run into problems is on your end. My experience is the that the land office will require a Letter Of Confirmation from you stating the the land is solely your wife's property and not yours. My experience is that this document is very easy to sign and execute in the land office in Thailand, about $.75 but a real pain in the rear if trying to do this from the states. 

In my experience that has not been easy. Most embassy/consulate I have contacted in the states don't even know what this is (including New York). The process for me was to get the paper notarized, then go the the city clerk to certified the notary is registered. After those two stamps, I bring it to the  embassy/consulate for the Thai stamp. If this sounds complicated and a pain, it is and it was.  

Normally  I am very relaxed and positive purchacing land in Thaland  but this always is the hardest part of our deals. If we are interested in a piece of land I sign off on it in the land office before I return home and then my wife has this paper work ready if we go ahead with the purchace Hopefully you are close to a Consulate and have much better luck than me. 

P.S. All my deals here have been honest straight forward and above board. 

Letter of Confirmation for a Foreign spouse married to a Thai National

When a Thai national married to a Foreigner acquires a property in Thailand, the Land department normally requires the foreigner to sign a letter of confirmation. This letter confirms that the property was acquired with the money of the Thai person and that this property is part of Sin Suan Tua, or personal property as defined by Thai Law.(The opposite of Sin Somros, which is common property). They often asked also non-married couples to sign the same document.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:16 PM, sead said:

I dont think you became a millionaire by being stupid. So if possible an ticket home would make it so much easier. The most problems accur after something is bought in wifes name. If you want to buy land then go and see it for yourself instead of some pictures. Otherwise you could be disappointed  and you dont seem to lack the cash.  It's ok to trust you wife but I promise you that doesn't mean you can trust her family etc etc. I just saw my gf house. It's a shed. And I want to build it up for some small cash If you can afford it so why not. It's not end of the world and we learn from our mistakes and mistakes makes us s.arter

Way off the subject, and clearly you haven't read the original post and the further posts.

Just one snip from the original post:  "The issue we're having is that she''s in the USA and cannot travel to Thailand to do the deal."

On 8/2/2018 at 5:31 PM, medic5678 said:

No, but I'll ask for it.  I'm asking about title search because that's the way I buy land in America.  I find it very difficult to understand the Thai system in general.  As an aside, I'd never think about doing business in Thailand.  Just build a vacation cottage where I can take my wife a couple of times a year.  This is in Kamphaeng Phet, so it's not a tourist area, which I want to avoid.  My wife is in the last stages of adjusting her status for a Green Card, and she cannot possibly leave to do this at this time.  I've pretty well figured how to do it.

Good luck to your wife! Buying a piece of land in Thailand is much easier than dealing with the US immigration. And, Kamphaeng Phet is a nice, quiet city. I passed through with my husband once -- love the city!

On 8/2/2018 at 10:57 AM, sawadee1947 said:

You describe a somehow crooked version 

How many pieces of land have you or your wife, if any, bought in Thailand?

Not all the Thais are crooked!

I am banging my head on the wall here, aren't I.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:55 PM, medic5678 said:

Build into the deal is us allowing my wife's mother and sister to build a house in the front of the property, which is easily big enough for 3 houses. Her cousin wants to control who lives there.  This is a fast sale and we're in the catbird seat to get this at this price.

Be caveat on the building house point.

You should allow them to build their houses in your land as a rent of your property. Based on Thai/ land law, if my knowledge isn't out of date, people who build a house in your property can claim the ownership of the property after 5 or 10 years -- not sure on the years. There're several ways that crooked people can steal the property. That is why -- as I mention far above, I have to ask my brother to stop by my land occasionally to make sure nobody coming in and using my land -- building a house, cottage, or plant crop.

The deal doesn't sound right on the building a house. I suggest NOT! Have them sign a property rental before building their house. You can rent the land out for 10 baht a year, but never allow them to move in and build the house in your land.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Oh, I get it now one of those guys who think they know it all but put a post asking for help and when they don't get an answer all sugar coated they start to whine.  For the record what is nonsense is if you have so much money <deleted> are you even posting here asking for advice just do it! instead of trying to tell me you don't do anything or go anywhere unless you have the cash!

No one is saying you don't have the money the point I'm trying to make to you is your wife can wait until she has the time to get back to Thailand to buy the land in person. The land isn't going anywhere and I stand by my comments sure people all over the world might not have money but hear this we are talking about Thailand. So in your case, the land isn't in Bangkok most likely in your case the land is upcountry and Thais, in general, don't have that lump sum lying around like you rich man so the land isn't going anywhere fast. bye

Unfathomable that you could post something even more clueless.  I asked HOW to do a transaction.  Not whether I should do it.  You are "one of those guys"?  Grow up!  Better yet, take a class in reading comprehension.  That would solve a lot of your problems.

18 minutes ago, MadameM said:

Be caveat on the building house point.

You should allow them to build their houses in your land as a rent of your property. Based on Thai/ land law, if my knowledge isn't out of date, people who build a house in your property can claim the ownership of the property after 5 or 10 years -- not sure on the years. There're several ways that crooked people can steal the property. That is why -- as I mention far above, I have to ask my brother to stop by my land occasionally to make sure nobody coming in and using my land -- building a house, cottage, or plant crop.

The deal doesn't sound right on the building a house. I suggest NOT! Have them sign a property rental before building their house. You can rent the land out for 10 baht a year, but never allow them to move in and build the house in your land.

We're building a house, and her mother is building a house.  Let's say, hypothetically, her mother claims ownership of the land where she built the house.  What do I care?   I'm basically giving it to her anyway.   I'm spending 50k to have a little vacation home (25k on property and 25k on building a little cottage house) in a place where I MIGHT spend a month a year.  In the meantime, my wife doesn't worry about her mother and sister, which is a huge added bonus.    How many people spend a whole lot more than 50k and just wind up with a condo?    All in all, the benefits are well worth it to me because my wife will be happier.

When I die, my wife will be a millionaire anyway.  So I'm not worried in the slightest about getting cheated here.  It's really her land and her house, because I'm not taking any of it with me.   Her family has been utterly honest and trustworthy in every way.  I love them all.  I just want to get the deal done quickly while we have the chance to take advantage of her cousin's boyfriend's oafishness.  What makes this really sweet is I tried to buy the property before all of this and they didn't want to sell it.  Now they approach us and the price they'll take has dropped precipitously.  Basically, he's over expanded with women and having business problems.  He took my wife's cousin's gold back and sold it (50 baht), and now he wants money back from the land he bought her when he was the big cheese.  She's furious with him and happy to deal the land to my wife.  Now is the time to strike the deal.  If you need to sell land in a small town like this, you are in a weak position because no one has cash.  I waited and this has dropped right into our hands.

If my wife had her Green Card, I wouldn't be asking this question because we'd just fly there for a vacation and take car of it.  Immigration is really difficult and we are almost through with it.  

My wife dreams of us living in Thailand 6 months a year when I retire.  However, our 5 year old is quickly becoming Americanized.  She grows up in America and attends college, etc....  She will not want to live in Thailand.  The reality is that people immigrate and end up putting down roots in America.  I've seen it countless times.   None of her Thai friends will ever live in Thailand again.  Neither will she.

And for the record, I love Kamphaeng Phet.  Getting away from the tourist areas, one discovers the real Thailand.

1 hour ago, medic5678 said:

We're building a house, and her mother is building a house.  Let's say, hypothetically, her mother claims ownership of the land where she built the house.  What do I care?   I'm basically giving it to her anyway.   I'm spending 50k to have a little vacation home (25k on property and 25k on building a little cottage house) in a place where I MIGHT spend a month a year.  In the meantime, my wife doesn't worry about her mother and sister, which is a huge added bonus.    How many people spend a whole lot more than 50k and just wind up with a condo?    All in all, the benefits are well worth it to me because my wife will be happier.

When I die, my wife will be a millionaire anyway.  So I'm not worried in the slightest about getting cheated here.  It's really her land and her house, because I'm not taking any of it with me.   Her family has been utterly honest and trustworthy in every way.  I love them all.  I just want to get the deal done quickly while we have the chance to take advantage of her cousin's boyfriend's oafishness.  What makes this really sweet is I tried to buy the property before all of this and they didn't want to sell it.  Now they approach us and the price they'll take has dropped precipitously.  Basically, he's over expanded with women and having business problems.  He took my wife's cousin's gold back and sold it (50 baht), and now he wants money back from the land he bought her when he was the big cheese.  She's furious with him and happy to deal the land to my wife.  Now is the time to strike the deal.  If you need to sell land in a small town like this, you are in a weak position because no one has cash.  I waited and this has dropped right into our hands.

If my wife had her Green Card, I wouldn't be asking this question because we'd just fly there for a vacation and take car of it.  Immigration is really difficult and we are almost through with it.  

My wife dreams of us living in Thailand 6 months a year when I retire.  However, our 5 year old is quickly becoming Americanized.  She grows up in America and attends college, etc....  She will not want to live in Thailand.  The reality is that people immigrate and end up putting down roots in America.  I've seen it countless times.   None of her Thai friends will ever live in Thailand again.  Neither will she.

And for the record, I love Kamphaeng Phet.  Getting away from the tourist areas, one discovers the real Thailand.

Well said! I do understand the tie of family value in Thailand. I'm feeling quite the same having my trustworthy family I can depend on in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, medic5678 said:

Quite natural for many Thai wives to want to spend 6 months here and 6 months in Thailand. My husband and I, however, decided to sell our property here and move to live permanently in Chiang Rai (I'm a Bangkoknian, but can't stand Bangkok anymore). He retired for over decades; I just retired a few months ago. We didn't save enough to live comfortably here. I'm always worried about having a home healthcare for my aging husband. We can't afford that luxury.

Based on my research, in Chiang Rai where we are heading for at the end of this month, we can have a trained home healthcare assistant -- live in, for less than $400.-  a month. So, here we go!

Also, when I'm getting older, the excitement of living in the US doesn't count anymore. I long for my family and friends in Thailand. Just sharing!

I can't wait to be back home, and friends and family can't wait to having me there again.

Good luck for both of you on your purchase and everything. 

7 hours ago, MadameM said:

Quite natural for many Thai wives to want to spend 6 months here and 6 months in Thailand. My husband and I, however, decided to sell our property here and move to live permanently in Chiang Rai (I'm a Bangkoknian, but can't stand Bangkok anymore). He retired for over decades; I just retired a few months ago. We didn't save enough to live comfortably here. I'm always worried about having a home healthcare for my aging husband. We can't afford that luxury.

Based on my research, in Chiang Rai where we are heading for at the end of this month, we can have a trained home healthcare assistant -- live in, for less than $400.-  a month. So, here we go!

Also, when I'm getting older, the excitement of living in the US doesn't count anymore. I long for my family and friends in Thailand. Just sharing!

I can't wait to be back home, and friends and family can't wait to having me there again.

Good luck for both of you on your purchase and everything. 

I think that's awesome!  I do ask, if you had children in America and they had kids, could you leave your family in America to live in Thailand?  This complicates matters a lot as far as moving home again.  We  are very likely to open a little import business from Thailand.  My wife has it in her blood to run a booth at a large fleamarket.  I'll fund it, and she can make spending money if that's what she wants to do.  This ensures a few business trips to Thailand a year.  I really think that will be enough.

My little girl is being brainwashed into getting a doctorate.  Not necessarily in  medicine, but higher education in whatever she chooses. I am in charge of the brainwashing, with my wife's total enthusiasm :).  Our baby is learning at an incredible rate and is absolutely gung ho on staying in America.  She's 5 and she says she'll go back to Thailand to visit, but she's going to live in America.  Wants to be a dentist.  So I think we'll wind up with ties here that will keep my wife in America, by her own choice.  

I do understand your decision.  Thailand and Thai people are wonderful.  Much nicer than many people here in America.

9 hours ago, medic5678 said:

Unfathomable that you could post something even more clueless.  I asked HOW to do a transaction.  Not whether I should do it.  You are "one of those guys"?  Grow up!  Better yet, take a class in reading comprehension.  That would solve a lot of your problems.

Unfathomable let the ego go man!  As I said you got a negative answer you didn't like so it is mental block time!  

You ask HOW  to do a transaction?   AND MY RESPONSE WAS DON'T AND WAIT!  that would solve a lot of your problems!?

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Unfathomable let the ego go man!  As I said you got a negative answer you didn't like so it is mental block time!  

You ask HOW  to do a transaction?   AND MY RESPONSE WAS DON'T AND WAIT!  that would solve a lot of your problems!?

Good, now you've said your piece, please move along.

Archived