wife buying land in Thailand

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, medic5678 said:

Good, now you've said your piece, please move along.

Same same, I read your situation and I really wish you all the luck, your daughter is smart enough to know to stay in the U.S. being actually free regardless of how much people think their home country has changed? If they actually believe this then I suggested those give up their citizenship where ever they come from. Everyone thinks the grass is greener somewhere else but green grass takes work to keep it green. I've met a lot of expats here living close to 15 years and I can tell you first hand no country has a lock on being nice!

You have all the right to express and ask your questions but from reading your remarks you haven't lived here for long enough periods to get the bigger picture.

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Those that warn of the pitfalls of letting someone else do something for you, whilst not being there yourself, are not unintelligent answers.... They are experienced answers...

FYI :  i have answered many posts with just three words :  Don't do it !   the responses to that are

quite predictable of course .  Famous saying is...i don't give advice because nobody ever takes it.

BUT, in this case i put my cynicism (and experience) aside and gave a straight answer, mainly because

the OP basically said he was not worried and willing to do it as it was small money FOR HIM.  So be it,

and i did mention the red flag.

I am a little disappointed that he is now engaging in the typical pissing contest with some posters.

But that's what we love about TV,  isn't it?   

52 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

My wife has it in her blood to run a booth at a large fleamarket.  I'll fund it, and she can make spending money if that's what she wants to do.  This ensures a few business trips to Thailand a year.  I really think that will be enough.

My little girl is being brainwashed into getting a doctorate.  Not necessarily in  medicine, but higher education in whatever she chooses. I am in charge of the brainwashing, with my wife's total enthusiasm :).  Our baby is learning at an incredible rate and is absolutely gung ho on staying in America.  She's 5 and she says she'll go back to Thailand to visit, but she's going to live in America.  Wants to be a dentist.  So I think we'll wind up with ties here that will keep my wife in America, by her own choice.  

I do understand your decision.  Thailand and Thai people are wonderful.  Much nicer than many people here in America.

First of all, we don't have children. I got married in my late 30s and also it's very expensive here to raise a child without any help from family members. Being a teacher, I don't miss that much ? Regarding your wife's thinking of opening the booth, I wish her good luck! What I have learned and admired in living in this great country is that you can be whatever you want if you set your mind on, work hard for, and make sure you love what you do. I always encourage my students who mostly are the children of immigrants that the opportunities are out there regardless of their skin colors and beliefs. I spent several years exploring until I found what I wanted to do.  I believe your wife will finally find what she wants to do here successfully. 

I have a 7 years old niece - half Thai half American. She also gets a strong support from her dad to explore  places she wants to fit in in the future. Her mom, my cousin, enrolls the girl in Thai-buddhist temple's Sunday school to expose her to both cultures, but the girl will be growing up American -- she's born and raised here. And for sure, my cousin won't be able to move back to Thailand. Her new root is running deeply here.

For people, I think they are the same everywhere. There are nice Americans and not so nice ones as those Thais in Thailand. I always look at the value the country hold. I'm humbly thankful for every opportunities the US provides me and for the loving kindness from the love ones in Thailand where I was born and raised. Can't ask for anything more -- highly contented as I am ?

On 8/3/2018 at 12:57 AM, sawadee1947 said:

No! You are totally wrong. If a Thai wants to buy a plot and will become the owner with a title deed in his/her name it's necessary to sign personally at the Land office. Same when you want to sell. Living in US you have to fly home to sign at the Land office. You describe a somehow crooked version 

poor sawadee...... don't know how long you have lived here but you are the one that mai ru ruang !

no need for me to explain why.   you still wouldn't get it

12 hours ago, siam dreamers said:

My experience is the that the land office will require a Letter Of Confirmation from you stating the the land is solely your wife's property and not yours. My experience is that this document is very easy to sign and execute in the land office in Thailand, about $.75 but a real pain in the rear if trying to do this from the states. 

Siam Dreamers, 

That's what I did when purchasing the land. However, I got this letter done by myself during the time I went back to Thailand to see the land and started the purchasing process with the bank. I did a lot of research before hand, so when I was there I had my husband's notarized documents ready and it can be done withing no time at the Ampur. With this important letter and the power of attorney, my brother was able to transfer the property deed for me

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Same same, I read your situation and I really wish you all the luck, your daughter is smart enough to know to stay in the U.S. being actually free regardless of how much people think their home country has changed? If they actually believe this then I suggested those give up their citizenship where ever they come from. Everyone thinks the grass is greener somewhere else but green grass takes work to keep it green. I've met a lot of expats here living close to 15 years and I can tell you first hand no country has a lock on being nice!

You have all the right to express and ask your questions but from reading your remarks you haven't lived here for long enough periods to get the bigger picture.

Good luck!

Thanks.  I never will live in Thailand like the typical expat, nor would I mix much with the expat community in Thailand.  This is just a vacation house for me in a sleepy little town,  and I'm helping my wife's mother and sister at the same time. Pity it's on the other side of the world and the trip is so grueling, but that's the breaks.  I will always rely on my wife to guide me through Thai society to avoid the pitfalls.  I generally feel much, much safer in Thailand than I do in America, though I don't run in circles that put me in dangerous situations, with the exception of my career in medicine, where I deal with career criminals and violent injuries on a daily basis.  

4 hours ago, medic5678 said:

Thanks.  I never will live in Thailand like the typical expat, nor would I mix much with the expat community in Thailand.  This is just a vacation house for me in a sleepy little town,  and I'm helping my wife's mother and sister at the same time. Pity it's on the other side of the world and the trip is so grueling, but that's the breaks.  I will always rely on my wife to guide me through Thai society to avoid the pitfalls.  I generally feel much, much safer in Thailand than I do in America, though I don't run in circles that put me in dangerous situations, with the exception of my career in medicine, where I deal with career criminals and violent injuries on a daily basis.  

They say what you do in the past prepares you for the future. I've haven't always been on the right side of the law but I had enough people around me to guide me back to the right path.  I spent majority of my H.S. years in reform school but never did any real time like a few members of my immediate family who has been in Folsom and Pelican Bay.  I'm not white but Asian and majority of the generation before me like my Father/Uncles came from old China and Hong Kong. In U.S. they were leaders or members of what they call Associations/Black Society/Tongs the legal description in the U.S. they in the profession of Import Export.

That being said I know what discrimination is all about because just getting to school each morning was tough having to walk miles around the Irish/Italian kids so I didn't lose my lunch money. 

Without going into a longer story as to how I came to settle in Thailand, I do have a Thai wife and a legal adopted son living here in Thailand.  Like everyone coming or settling here I didn't go looking for trouble but I wasn't born yesterday either?  Like you in the beginning I left many of the pitfalls to my wife but realized silently Thais in general aren't educated like us in the West, I was told they think backwards and that is being kind.  Leaving final decision to her was the reason we had pitfalls, particularly I was told over and over again " this is Thailand "  this is one of the biggest phrase I just hated to here as if Thailand has a special way and answer to everything.  The more I saw the more I learn the language the more I started to hate Thailand but because of my Thai family I didn't want to them feel I hated all Thais.  I had to humble and reinvent myself to be more patience but it took lots of doing and it nearly took my life.  

Before that I went a bit off the cliff got tired of the lies, stealing from Thais that I had to deal including several close members of her family which included her older sister and husband. It was like I was here to be abuse and stolen from because I had the money to lose?  When I had enough aside from her sister and husband with my family connection in HK and Southern China I asked for some help and help was what I got. 

Today, life is good my relationship with my wife is strong and my son now all grown up with his wife see the discrimination I have to go through because I'm not Thai, I say it proudly if I ever become 100% Thai I will take a gun and shoot myself.  

I make it a point to wake up and go to sleep each day respecting everyone around me but I sleep with one eye open.  My wife and son heard it many times that when I go it will be violent and I won't spend time in a Thai jail I will go out in a blaze.

I left America. as far left as one can go but today after living here for 15 years I have a greater respect for my country U.S. of A, I will not kneel, it isn't perfect but I proudly would fight for America's freedom. Living here we take for granted the little things that make us who we are and how think and act. I screw up my education but today I appreciate what the U.S. gave me. No matter what people think they are losing nanny State and all people in the U.S. have it good.

Thanks for your ear and good luck for your purchased, your daughter is getting the best education staying in the U.S. with her you still have a home if you ever decide to make the move here. Don't let that go unless you have too!

On 8/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, medic5678 said:

I'm a millionaire buying a $50k piece of land for a $25k bargain price from my wife's cousin.  We're going to build a little house ourselves, and her mother is going to build a second home for herself.  Think of it as a vacation home for us and security for her mother.  I think my life is worth a lot more than 25k.  So many utterly clueless posts and not a coherent answer.

The overall mentality of people is simply incredible.  Thais are like everyone else.  Some dishonest, most utterly trustworthy if you know them.  The idea that everyone is out to cheat/rob/kill you is ridiculous.

Well done! Your are 100% correct not everyone is out to get you/us we can say sometimes it happens but not put everyone under the same umbrella.

I ran out of fuel a couple months ago a little shop was nearby did hand signals and he knew what I needed. Gave him 100 baht and his worker 

went and got enough fuel to get me to the station not far away. Gave me my change I tried to get him to accept a tip. He wouldn’t do it. 

There are good people in the world 

On 8/6/2018 at 5:13 AM, mogandave said:

Oh, and people don’t sell property worth $50k for $25k.

You obviously don't grasp the dynamics at work in this deal.  I've been in may deals where we purchased undervalued assets... but it doesn't matter in this case.  I'm going to stick a little cottage on this and have a little vacation home in Thailand.  No intention to sell it ever.   It kills 2 birds with one stone.  I got a cheap house, and my wife doesn't worry about her immediate family.    Now, you may say that I'm giving 1/2 of the property to my mother in law, which is fine by me.  Having her mother next door to our house in Thailand makes it that much more valuable to me because my wife is so happy with this.  

I priced a lot of lots in Thailand when I was there.  No deal I found anywhere is remotely as good as this one.    I was surprised at the prices of land serviced by nice roadways, let alone a piece with decent houses around it.   It's very cheap to build a house in Thailand, but the lots are surprisingly expensive.   All of this is complicated by the long trip to Thailand, which makes any real estate investment problematic and hard to manage. I'm elated that this has come along.

The moral of the story is to always have cash and never need credit.  Most people are utterly unable to do this, but live strapped to banks from check to check.  Sound familiar?

Last week, in 3 days I lost 7,700 on a stock that I sold and ate the loss.  Sometimes in life, that happens.  I got nothing at all for my $7,700 except a bit wiser.  In the great scheme of my investment life, however, this is peanuts.   Many would hop up and down and yell.. hey, you lost $7,700.  Not a mention about the several hundred thousand I made so far this year.  So it depends on what you want to focus on.  The guy who always picks winners doesn't exist.

I really only asked this question to learn about the mechanics of buying property in Thailand.  I don't need or want advice on valuation.

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yep, no shortage of braggadocious rich guys buying fantastically underpriced properties from their wife’s relatives here...

You mean no shortage of sourpuss losers who can't cut life in their own country and run to Thailand, huh?

5 hours ago, medic5678 said:

Last week, in 3 days I lost 7,700 on a stock that I sold and ate the loss.  Sometimes in life, that happens.  I got nothing at all for my $7,700 except a bit wiser.  In the great scheme of my investment life, however, this is peanuts.   Many would hop up and down and yell.. hey, you lost $7,700.  Not a mention about the several hundred thousand I made so far this year.  So it depends on what you want to focus on.  The guy who always picks winners doesn't exist.

I really only asked this question to learn about the mechanics of buying property in Thailand.  I don't need or want advice on valuation.

Well best stick to that subject then. No one cares how’s much you have or haven’t earned this year. At the end of the day it’s  an annonymous forum and anyone can pluck a number out the air and post.

It really does come across as bragging. 

13 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I stand by my originality post, if you’ve got the dough. and you trust your wife, why not just let her handle it?

Why look to a bunch of losers on a website for advice?

Well, it's just a matter of making sure it's properly recorded, that's all.    It's something I've never done.  I'll listen to what a number of people have to say here, weight the options.   Seems that we might not need to do anything except send my wife's ID an a signed POA from the land office, where her sister can execute the deal for my wife.  Maybe no notary or embassy stamp at all.  I'll report back when this is over, because we're trying to do this in the next few days.  My will will have the chanote in her name when it's done.

My wife is beyond awesome and utterly trustworthy, by the way.   If we were through with the green cards, this would be very easy to do.  But it is what it is and time is of the essence here.  Striking while the iron is hot.  

On 8/2/2018 at 5:58 AM, medic5678 said:

I'm a millionaire 

Like I said in my other posts guys like you end up more broke than degreeless teflers.

I don't understand why are you all red in the face about people who are suggesting that it's really a dumb idea to buy land remotely from another country.

Yes, that's utterly stupid as I'm sure you'd inspect a 55 inch LCD before you committed to a purchase....or at least there would be a decent return policy.

This has nothing to do with your wife being a bargirl or not. What a childish and irrelevant thing to say.

6 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Like I said in my other posts guys like you end up more broke than degreeless teflers.

I don't understand why are you all red in the face about people who are suggesting that it's really a dumb idea to buy land remotely from another country.

Yes, that's utterly stupid as I'm sure you'd inspect a 55 inch LCD before you committed to a purchase....or at least there would be a decent return policy.

This has nothing to do with your wife being a bargirl or not. What a childish and irrelevant thing to say.

It's true that this is the frame of reference with many Farangs.  You sound very familiar with it, huh?  The idea that you can actually find a classy lady from a great family seems pretty far fetched to some.    Seems to sure upset the likes of you.  Loser.

19 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

It's true that this is the frame of reference with many Farangs.  You sound very familiar with it, huh?  The idea that you can actually find a classy lady from a great family seems pretty far fetched to some.    Seems to sure upset the likes of you.  Loser.

My wife doesn't require for me to buy her land or a house for her or her family. She works for international company and makes her own money.

Far from classy when you are "taking care" sight unseen.

5 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My wife doesn't require for me to buy her land or a house for her or her family. She works for international company and makes her own money.

Far from classy when you are "taking care" sight unseen.

My wife doesn't "require" me to do anything.  We've always planned on a house in Thailand.   As far as working, I don't want my wife to work.  I want her to raise our daughter.   If she does work, I want her to play at it.   There's no pressure at all for her to make money and that's the way I want it.  In all honestly, I wouldn't want your  wife.  You are in no position at all to judge how classy mine is.  Perhaps you're not worthy of licking the bottom of her shoe.   

11 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

My wife doesn't "require" me to do anything.  We've always planned on a house in Thailand.   As far as working, I don't want my wife to work.  I want her to raise our daughter.   If she does work, I want her to play at it.   There's no pressure at all for her to make money and that's the way I want it.  In all honestly, I wouldn't want your  wife.  You are in no position at all to judge how classy mine is.  Perhaps you're not worthy of licking the bottom of her shoe.   

I pity your wife as it seems it's all about what "I want" !!! I was trying to give you some sensible advice in my 1st response but you now just come across as a typical know it all "millionaire"

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I pity your wife as it seems it's all about what "I want" !!! I was trying to give you some sensible advice in my 1st response but you now just come across as a typical know it all "millionaire"

She sure seems happy.  How is yours?

12 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

No, but if it's any comfort to you, I'd let you lick the bottom of my shoe.

My carabbean wife would say "kiss my ass" when she was exasperated. When I said OK she would smile and all would be back to normal.

Archived