Tears of joy as Thai mother thanks Norwegian for saving her son

webfact

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

No life guards on Nai Yang ??

Good job Mr Norway was.... Hope the 5th boy is found...

6th boy.

Nai Yang is supposed to be cover by that fake life guard contract ... just a joke as most of these guys don't swim. Or so it has been reported ... 

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Is it me, or has that kid got a 'wont be doing that again in a hurry' look?

Hes probably just had a winger round his earhole from his mum, do you expect him to look happy ?.

I wouldnt be if she gave me a winger round the ear

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sungod said:

Is it me, or has that kid got a 'wont be doing that again in a hurry' look?

His mother should have the same look - and teach her kid to swim (although, depending on the sea conditions, that may not have saved him)!

Most Thais just don't appreciate the dangers of the sea and the danger can easily be in water 2-3 feet deep. Once caught in a "rip" most victims do the wrong thing and drown. Try going to beaches that are marked or have life guards.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Most Thais can't afford the airfare to Australia !!

They have lifeguards on Patong beach - just nobody takes any notice of them. :sad:

I have spoken with them and they told me they were Australian trained.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm guessing that consisted of asking them, "Were you trained in Australia?" to which the answer was "Yes."

I bet if you asked them if they knew "How many beans make five?" they would answer "Yes'" to that too.

I am NOT that stupid. :smile: In the course of a long conversation they volunteered the information. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I am NOT that stupid. :smile: In the course of a long conversation they volunteered the information. 

Oh, OK sorry, I had assumed (erroneously) that you were joking.

I take it these are the new Thai lifeguards everyone seemed to be slagging off recently for not going to help swimmers in difficulty?

They were sent to Australia to train? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

About 9 years back I met the boss of  a major Australian  Lifesaving outfit in Patong.

He had brought over 28  ( iirc ) advanced ticketed lifesavers who split up to train Thai lifesavers at each beach.

They had also brought gear including the very useful Barry Bennett rescue boards , some of which , faded and dinged , can be seen under life saver sheds around Phuket still today.

They had sponsors like airlines etc.

The plan was that they were prepared to commit to a lifelong training program ,  and some of the Australians were enamoured with the island , so I assume their is still some involvement..

His name is Terje Tønnesen , not Terji , just wanted to make that clear. 

Terje is an old norse name.  My countryman is a real viking hero .  

Edited by balo

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I take it these are the new Thai lifeguards everyone seemed to be slagging off recently for not going to help swimmers in difficulty?

No offence taken.

"...not going to help..." Had not heard about that one.

I cannot recall about where their training was.

This was about three years ago and they were fairly busy with a lot of Russians and some other Asians who were not at all concerned about their directions and continually had to go out on a board to herd swimmers into a safe place.

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

No offence taken.

"...not going to help..." Had not heard about that one.

I cannot recall about where their training was.

This was about three years ago and they were fairly busy with a lot of Russians and some other Asians who were not at all concerned about their directions and continually had to go out on a board to herd swimmers into a safe place.

This is the story I was referring to from a couple of weeks ago (below).

In the text of the full story from the Thaiger it was stated:

"A local surfer, from The Philippines, noticed that the man was in difficulty and rushed to his assistance. The paid lifeguards watched from the shoreline and helped the man once he was back to shore.

A former lifeguard at the beach made the comment that the new lifeguards “don’t like to swim as they don’t have confidence or training.”

“They didn’t have any of the required equipment to attempt a rescue.”"

From what you said it was about three years ago you were talking to the lifeguards, if I read it correctly?

Since then, IIRC they have all resigned/been dismissed and a new group has taken over in the last couple of months.

This is from what I've read in news articles via TVF, so again I'm willing to be corrected if I've made any erroneous statements. I'll admit I've only been to Phuket once, and that was twenty-five-odd years ago.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

From what you said it was about three years ago you were talking to the lifeguards, if I read it correctly?

Since then, IIRC they have all resigned/been dismissed and a new group has taken over in the last couple of months.

That I did not know - thanks for the update.

It would explain the 'latest' comments. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2018 at 10:22 AM, bluesofa said:

It could be Australian 'Lifeguards' came here to train them.......... That also would be Australian trained.......... Sounds more believable.......... the wording can be taken more than one way......

9 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

The Phuket Governor should give him an award for saving two citizens of Phuket. Then get some lifeguards, all the billions of Baht made from tourists and Thailand cannot even get lifeguards. Such lack of respect for the tourists. 

Its simply the selfishness of the Elite who decide if these contracts will be filled ...

In my  beach villiage in Phuket , it was no secret that one of the most odious local figures was trying to win the contract ... his plan to make it profitable was to get funding for numerous guards but  only employ ONE on any given day ! Thats how f...ed up things can get over here..

As far as I know , the current lifesavers are  all volunteers.... There is only one on my beach ...

5 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Its simply the selfishness of the Elite who decide if these contracts will be filled ...

In my  beach villiage in Phuket , it was no secret that one of the most odious local figures was trying to win the contract ... his plan to make it profitable was to get funding for numerous guards but  only employ ONE on any given day ! Thats how f...ed up things can get over here..

As far as I know , the current lifesavers are  all volunteers.... There is only one on my beach ...

With little equipment no doubt!