BBC says Thailand asks UK to extradite Yingluck

webfact

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Here is a question.

In order to begin the process of extradition from the UK, does a foreign country ...

a) have its embassy send a request letter to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office?

b) engage a legal team to begin court proceedings?

My point being, is this a real attempt at extradition? Or some zany non-attempt?

Could be an attempt to satisfy those whom the junta leader hopes will vote for him come the election.

' Come on Lung Kamnan, you can see I really tried to bring her back. Now get your boys behind me in February.'

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Maybe a buy one get one free deal. Get Yingluck for 3 billion and we'll throw in Julian.

But in all seriousness,  I'm not sure how Julian Assange must be feeling?  I'm sure I would rather be dead in his situation .  Maybe he regrets his actions. They still want to torture him.

As for Yingluck, her only crime being rich and pretty. 

Rich, pretty and utterly foolish to agree to implement a policy promising 15,000 baht a tonne for every strain of rice arriving at a Thai rice mill. 

Edited by bannork
  • Like 2

Mr Redbull would be more worth getting extradited back to Thailand to face trial and jail if considered guilty of his crime....but obviously his cashflow or connections seem to be high enough,  to be invisible by any country in the East or the West.... !!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

Could be an attempt to satisfy those whom the junta leader hopes will vote for him come the election.

' Come on Lung Kamnan, you can see I really tried to bring her back. Now get your boys behind me in February.'

If your theory could be called "the carrot", the other side of this election-based theory is that it is a warning to the Shinawatras not to get involved in the election. We can call that "the stick".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Who says Thailand isn't refusing now ....  and refused ten years ago and twenty years ago and ............ 

Thailand has a bad, no a very bad, reputation for not extraditing wanted individuals to other countries. 

Name a case if you do not mind 

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I'm trying to understand exactly what the Thais are saying in this letter.

The Thai Junta are saying "Here we are giving you two good reasons to reject our very humble submission and also BTW why we don't want her or any others "fleeing Thai justice" back in "SIAM"."

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

If your theory could be called "the carrot", the other side of this election-based theory is that it is a warning to the Shinawatras not to get involved in the election. We can call that "the stick".

But if they got involved it would be easy to dissolve the party under the new law.

The preosecution of Oak right now might not be a coincidence either. ' Get out boy and don't ever think about electioneering for PT.' perhaps.

I'm surprised the junta haven't found anything to stick on Jae Daeng yet. But then again these very rich people were associating with several other very rich people who are close to the junta, airports come to mind, so perhaps it's a case of not wanting her to spilll the beans on junta allies. 

I have to say I like Yingluck, to me she's a "hot chick" and a "babe" and regardless of spurious reasons the never-ending "witch-hunt of her brother, and now her, and latterly her son too does Thailand no favours in international politics, showing them as a petulant child lashing out in a hissy-fit.

The Thai "Government" chucked her out of legally elected office at gun-point, have hounded her ever since, and now her son as she is out of their reach. Par for the course because if she ever got back into power this Junta would probably find themselves stood against a wall for treason. So they need to prevent any possibility of a return by any means, similarly an election that was truly fair and free might have the same ending for this Junta and a good thing too if it stopped this coup cycle.

However, Theresa May is also a treacherous and evil two-faced cow who equally was not elected into her position as PM and I would not trust her half as far as I could throw her brogues and matching twin-set so I hope Yingluck has another bolt-hole until this is settled one way or the other because May might just send her back..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

The request for keeping the request confidential went right out of the window, so I think that should tell everything about how the UK government considers the extradition.

Unless it was Thai embassy official , who made this public 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

The request for keeping the request confidential went right out of the window, so I think that should tell everything about how the UK government considers the extradition.

If the Thai government did ask to keep the request confidential, then that throws the theory the Thai government were only asking the UK authorities in order to please their potential political allies right out of the window.

Edited by bannork

3 hours ago, Horace said:

Thailand's record in international and foreign legal proceedings is pathetic.  Thailand not only lost a major WTO case with the Philippines, but the WTO's decision against Thailand was scathing.  Thailand lost tremendous credibility on trade issues.  Thailand lost the Preah Vihear Temple case not once, but twice.  The second attempt was doomed to failure from the outset.  Thailand lost the Walter Bau international arbitration and then refused to honor the award. In other words, Thailand does not honor arbitration agreements.  And then when a jet was seized outside of Munich because Thailand refused to comply with the award, its Attorney General not only demanded that the claimant's lawyer come to Thailand to re-litigate a case that had already been won in a fair and unbiased international proceedings, but suggested he might not leave alive (the case was quietly settled with payment of the claim amount and substantial interest).  Thailand international reputation on legal matters is awful.

Well - as their children chant in school every morning . . . "we are the biggest and finest country in the world" . . . that being the case, I would imagine Thailand doesn't give a toss about the judgments of other nations.

35 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Well - as their children chant in school every morning . . . "we are the biggest and finest country in the world" . . . that being the case, I would imagine Thailand doesn't give a toss about the judgments of other nations.

"we are the biggest and finest country in the world" . . Where does it say that in the National Anthem?

26 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Oh I hope they do. I do hope so.

These idiots just never know when to quit. It is this "government", ie the 2 "P's" that keep dragging the Shinawatra name up. They will not let it rest.

And in the end, hopefully it will bite them, big time, in the ass.

Bringing her back, putting her in prison, could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I do hope so. I just wanna see the "2 P's" have the same public ending that Mussolini had.

Vivre le Siam!

only last year Thais (and us?......... ) were told to stop thinking about them both.  Past is past.

If they really wanted her here why did they allow/arrange her escape?

Not much critical thinking at the top.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grego49 said:

If this the case what the red bull clown.

Exactly, all quiet on that front. At least Yingluck didn't kill anyone (that we know of) and try to run away from the crime scene.

7 hours ago, jayboy said:

I'm trying to understand exactly what the Thais are saying in this letter.

Analysis: They are following the logic of the treaty and pursuing all technical options. This is complemented with a good-will gesture. Interpretation: It results in a situation --on the surface-- that they cannot be accused of not having done "everything" possible.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

In order to begin the process of extradition from the UK, does a foreign country ...

a) have its embassy send a request letter to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office?

Yes, standard procedure, unless of course it's a European Arrest Warrant.

2 hours ago, tomas557 said:

The request for keeping the request confidential went right out of the window

Placing the request of strict confidentiality at the end of the letter --on page two-- is  diplomatic code for "circulate at your discretion".

Edited by Morakot

2 hours ago, cliveshep said:

However, Theresa May is also a treacherous and evil two-faced cow who equally was not elected into her position as PM and I would not trust her half as far as I could throw her brogues and matching twin-set so I hope Yingluck has another bolt-hole until this is settled one way or the other because May might just send her back..

The beauty is, May or the rest of the scoundrels in her government can't send her back 'just like that'.

I mean she would probably love to so herself and her cronies can further enrich themselves, but unfortunately procedure has to be followed and courts respected.

The UK government of the day cannot yet do a '44, much as they would love to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baboon said:

The beauty is, May or the rest of the scoundrels in her government can't send her back 'just like that'.

I mean she would probably love to so herself and her cronies can further enrich themselves, but unfortunately procedure has to be followed and courts respected.

The UK government of the day cannot yet do a '44, much as they would love to.

Yup, fortunately some still have to respect these things. While it's not going to happen (and I think the junta is pretty certain of this, otherwise they wouldn't dare to pull such a show), I'd love to be the fly on the wall to witness the panic if there actually were indications that UK might agree to this.. Mr. P and the funky bunch would need some emergency diapers before declaring it a misunderstanding. Having YL in jail in Thailand would spoil their plans (and cute camo knickers) big time.

• Like 2

For goodness sake why don't they just let it go.  As others have said I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance that they would extradite anyone to Thailand whilst it is under military rule and doubtful that they would do it if democracy was restored.  If Thailand reciprocate by refusing to extradite serious criminals such as murderers and child molesters then most of the public here would say good riddance to them - let Thailand enjoy the pleasure of their company.

They had their "victory" by securing the conviction so why do they want the extra expense of keeping her in jail for 5 years.  In my view the purpose of Jailing people should only ever be to protect the public and I somehow don't think that Yingluck is going to run amock with an AK47 anytime soon.  She was no more corrupt than any other of the  politicians.  Her being in exile is far better than serving her up as a martyr to the many people who would still support her and her brother.

• Like 2