Beware using debit cards when paying for fuel at gas stations say Thai media

webfact

32 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Just be careful that you don't alert them to where you reside, assuming that you live here that is, there are lots of reports that Barclaycard are canceling the cards of those living in Thailand.

It's a Thai bank Visa debit card, not a problem.

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The CVC three-digit security number on the back of the card for online purchases is a weak link in the system when, as illustrated here, can be written down along with the other details when staff take your card away to process the payment. I have made a note of this number, stored it securely at home, then scratched away the CVC number on the card to stop anyone reading it.

Just a proactive measure to try and prevent this obvious weak link occurring.

On the same subject has anyone ever had sales staff compare their signature on the sales voucher with that on the rear of their card? No, me neither - ever.

I've written on other TV threads before, that for ten years now I always sign my name erroneously as "Enid Blyton" (a UK children's author from the 1950s) - a) because I can, and b) to highlight the lax system of checking in Thailand. Twice I've signed as "Rumpelstiltskin".

This is the even more worrying part: I've written to Barclaycard and told them this. No response from them.

Mickey Mouse paid for my last car service at Toyota !!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mehrdad said:

Anybody know why while paying with ATM card in shopping mall pos or any supermarket pos cashiers not use or not ask about password !!! Only put card in pos and price !! Not password! 

Yup, something else I'm chasing up with the card companies.

(This is an excerpt from an email I've sent to Mastercard:)

I've asked the  Bank of Thailand who run it about purchase verification methods.

From what I can understand it is up to the individual retailer to choose the verification method.
Why have retailers in Thailand been given the option to choose?
Now as most people don’t like change, they seem to want to continue using the ‘signature’ option, when apparently they could opt to require customers to enter their PIN number on the EDC terminal, which to my way of thinking is a lot more secure, as well as eliminating opportunist stolen card use.

The UK has been using ‘chip & pin’ cards for twenty years. When I have been to the UK on holiday, every transaction (excluding the lower value ‘contactless’ payments) have all required PIN number verification.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I have a dedicated bank account with a debit card for small purchases. Only a few thousand baht in it, can't trust anyone here with your plastic. It is after all the Land of Scams.

That is what I do, keep the balance low. Also get instant , or near instant, messages on any movement.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

His elder sister made a deal with the owner of the gas station to repay the stolen money and it was allowed to rest without prosecution as no one wanted to blight the future of the attendant.

Including the victim? Because if I were a victim, I most certainly wouldn't give a s__t about his future 

• Like 1

'The UK has been using ‘chip & pin’ cards for twenty years. When I have been to the UK on holiday, every transaction (excluding the lower value ‘contactless’ payments) have all required PIN number verification.'

Not for that long. And even the PIN system isn't foolproof.

11 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'The UK has been using ‘chip & pin’ cards for twenty years. When I have been to the UK on holiday, every transaction (excluding the lower value ‘contactless’ payments) have all required PIN number verification.'

Not for that long. And even the PIN system isn't foolproof.

I'm willing to stand corrected. How long has it been in use - more than fifteen years.

The PIN system is a lot better than the signature verification at the moment. I don't know if it isn't foolproof. I'd be interested to hear your view.

I purchased a computer (about 1500BT) from a well known large store which starts with "T" and paid for it with a credit card. The assistant took my card and went out the back to "put it through the system" When I returned to Australia I received my Credit Card statement which had purchases of over AUD$7000 on it which I did not make. As I only used the Credit Card once while in Thailand there is not doubt that the details were taken at this store. From the variety of purchases at various locations in Australia there is no doubt that the details taken were "sold on".  Fortunately the issuing bank reimbursed the fraudulent transactions however I now never use my credit card in Thailand

Just recently when I've used my Thai debit card and a UK credit card for online purchases, I was sent a one time password by txt which needed to be entered before the purchase could be completed. One occasion it was a bloody nuisance though as I have 2 phones, Thai and UK and don't carry both. I wanted to order some travel tickets when I was out and about on my UK card and didn't have my UK phone, so couldn't do it, so I had to use the Thai one instead. Is this some new system ?

Edited by britishjohn

On 8/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, attrayant said:

Wrong. Lose 8000 baht in cash and see how fast the bank moves to get it back to you.

Cash is easily lost, stolen, skimmed, miscounted and untraceable so its used in crimes.

Agree but at least you know that the maximum you can lose it what you're carrying at the time. And only carry reasonable amounts - everybody's idea of reasonable being different of course!

I think I got caught up in this scam. A few weeks ago, I paid for fuel at a Shell station using my credit card. The next day, I had two charges for purchases of AMEX gift cards of US$220, both in exactly the same amount. That was the only time this card had left my hands for at least a month. I reported it straight away to the issuing bank and they removed the charges cancelled my card and sent me a new one.

Appreciate the idea of scratching off the PIN number. I've just done that with my cards.