Expat volunteers in Chiang Mai denied visas in work permit standoff

snoop1130

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

Thank you.

Oh no no no. According to many poster reading another thread ' work permit conditions and issue have been blown wide open.'

PS.

I agree with your answer but can't find the sarcarsm emoji.

Edited by overherebc
  • Confused 1

exactly...I used to ask why so many found it necessary to pay huge money to adoption agencies in china, when there were 10,000 kids in foster care in Washington DC, alone.  Even I. some very wealthy areas, you d not have to go far to find needy, or at least some very needy athletes and students.

8 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

In most cases it has nothing to do with altruism.  More of an ego thing.  looks good when you go half way around the world for an apparently selfless purpose.  Which looks great on paper.  But when you dig deeper, the organization has provided no benefit, just wasted a lot of money and in some cases has brought more problems.

I met several young people/travellers/backpackers who would love to do volunteerswork in Thailand....but when i tell them they have to pay for that they can't believe it....it totally shatters their dream of free travelling and "doing something good for the world".

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can see their point, there have been loads of white foreign bogus volunteers in CM getting VISAs.

You pay an agent, they set you up with a charity, you get a 1 year VISA for turning up for 1 or 2 days.

I've known at least two guys in the past who did this (both under 50s).

no doubt many people are abusing the intent of the visas.  I am sure of a few I see posting on youtube blogging and trying make a few bucks a day that way are there in Thailand as "volunteers".  Nothing against volunteers.  So many really do mean well.  But many are there for far from altruistic reasons.  Evangelists, missionaries, that are really there trying to further their church or organization goals than to help the Thais. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

This new 'head of the labour office' is clearly not following the rules or doing their job properly.

Report them to the main department in Bangkok and get him / her bought into line or fired.

The Ombudsman office would be worth a try I think.

(have experienced similar myself.

one Departement requesting that I provide them with a certain document from immigration

in order for them to issue a document to me,

my local IO flatly refusing to issue such a document)

catch 22 comes to mind

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can see their point, there have been loads of white foreign bogus volunteers in CM getting VISAs.

You pay an agent, they set you up with a charity, you get a 1 year VISA for turning up for 1 or 2 days.

I've known at least two guys in the past who did this (both under 50s).

True, we are always quick to criticise the Thai authorities (after all they do have form), however sometimes there is more to the story. My countries visa rules for Thais are pretty strict. This does however seem to 'fly in the face' of the recent softening attitude to work permits seen in Phuket.

• Like 1