Got red stamp on visa in Vientiane, what's next?

My passport has one page left, so need a new one anyways, I don't even have enough pages to even attempt another visa run in Laos...

I like to do visa runs in Vientiane. Should I do a Cambodia first with old passport , and then do a Vientiane run after that with a brand new passport,(I have one Cambodia left for the year)?

If they don't give me a visa for some reason...and I ran out of border visa runs by land (2 a year, I have one left though), could I still come back by air, maybe take a plane from Laos to BKK?

I have 2 cats and I really want to avoid being locked out of Thailand....

I read there is no limit to visa on arrival by air? So in theory, 2 Cambodia's by land and one by air from Laos to BKK airport could work if Embassy turns me down again (even with fresh new passport...) ?

Just being paranoid here as usual!

3 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

I read there is no limit to visa on arrival by air?

That’s not entirely true. There is no published set limit, but IO’s have the power to deny entry based on any number of entries.

I would to a ‘visa run’ for a new 30 day visa exempt entry, and apply for a new passport asap once back in Thailand. You then shouldn’t have a problem getting a new Tourist Visa from Vientiane with the new passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

For the record how many visas did you have in your passport? You got the visa at least so there's another 3 months to make the next move. Good luck.

Been here for 15 years, lots of passports! But in 9 months I'll be 50...so can get retirement, first time in my life I'll be happy to get older!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

That’s not entirely true. There is no published set limit, but IO’s have the power to deny entry based on any number of entries.

I would to a ‘visa run’ for a new 30 day visa exempt entry, and apply for a new passport asap once back in Thailand. You then shouldn’t have a problem getting a new Tourist Visa from Vientiane with the new passport.

You mean Vientiane don't have me in the computer, wouldn't it safer to do Savanahket?

19 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Been here for 15 years, lots of passports! But in 9 months I'll be 50...so can get retirement, first time in my life I'll be happy to get older!

I can see where you are coming from, the Thai government has you jumping through hoops if you want to stay here long term on a tourist visa, and under fifty.

1 hour ago, ikebukuro5 said:

I don't even have enough pages to even attempt another visa run in Laos...

To avoid the larger visa-sticker entering Cambodia, you could use the e-Visa option, valid at Poipet, Trat, or the Phnom Penh airport.  But ...

If you have a 'red stamp' already, I would not count on the Thai-Consulate in Phnom Penh being cooperative - they are finicky these days; they also take 3 to 4 days for processing.

If they don't give me a visa for some reason...and I ran out of border visa runs by land (2 a year, I have one left though), could I still come back by air, maybe take a plane from Laos to BKK
... I read there is no limit to visa on arrival by air? So in theory,  ...

You could try, but the airports are as bad as the Poipet / Aranya crossing, when it comes to denying Visa-Exempt entries for those with longer-stay histories in Thailand.  And, if denied entry by air, you are detained until a flight back where you came from leaves.  I'd rather be denied at a land-border, where at least I get to go back immediately - not get locked up like a criminal, first.

But, you will almost certainly not be denied entry by land *except at the Poipet crossing*, if you only have one visa-exempt entry by land in 2018.

if Embassy turns me down again (even with fresh new passport...) ? 

58 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

You mean Vientiane don't have me in the computer, wouldn't it safer to do Savanahket?

They won't, with a fresh passport, as they only count the visas they see in your passport (no database).  At Vientiane, with a red-stamp (from any consulate), they will tell you straight-up to "get a new passport" so they can issue you another Tourist Visa.

2 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Just being paranoid here as usual!

Given the inconsistent practices of some entry-points, and people being told about "laws" that are no where to be found in the law or ministerial orders, "paranoid" is a wise perspective to have.  That said, if you keep an eye on the reports here, you can avoid the problem areas.

They do keep computer records, but they don't seem to use those records when looking at past history. They just go by a physical count in your current passport. So when you go with a new passport you shouldn't have any problem getting a few more visas from Vientiane.