What happened to Silom bars: all closing?

yimlitnoy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2018 at 5:24 PM, Ks45672 said:

You sound like the kind of person who would be sitting outside the 7/11,drinking a can of whatever is cheapest stuff in the fridge.... 

Me! Me! ? ? 

Pick up fag ends from the street too!????????

Dont video me bro ?

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Can technology's come a long way in recent years... 

And the beer inside them?.Raging bitch is just about my favourite beer/ale, which funnily enough perfectly describes the poster who thinks I would ever drink from a can though he may just be a basic one.

6 hours ago, adammike said:

And the beer inside them?.Raging bitch is just about my favourite beer/ale, which funnily enough perfectly describes the poster who thinks I would ever drink from a can though he may just be a basic one.

That's the point, they've succeeded in doing away with the metallic taste of years gone by. Cans tend to be more consistent than bottles nowadays, craft beer shops have many of both - Raging bitch comes in cans too.

Given the choice though I'll pour it into a glass. 

8 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

That's the point, they've succeeded in doing away with the metallic taste of years gone by. Cans tend to be more consistent than bottles nowadays, craft beer shops have many of both - Raging bitch comes in cans too.

Glass is more environmentally conscious....

silom is a lonely area of town in the evening. i remember living there for a couple months and walking down empty dark streets regularly.

it did have a steampunk kind of attraction, reminded me of the movie blade runner, but there are better areas to have a beer in if your not getting off work over there.

On 9/5/2018 at 2:06 PM, lamyai3 said:

It's just that I never ever drink from cans I just don't, I also don't like drinking from the bottle ,water is the only thing I drink from a bottle,I want my beer chilled and in a glass.I bring my own glass to my favourite 7-11.I usually just drink tiger beer in Thailand and that's only because I am obliged to purchase something when I go in a bar and I don't spend much time in them these days. 

14 hours ago, adammike said:

It's just that I never ever drink from cans I just don't, I also don't like drinking from the bottle ,water is the only thing I drink from a bottle,I want my beer chilled and in a glass.I bring my own glass to my favourite 7-11.I usually just drink tiger beer in Thailand and that's only because I am obliged to purchase something when I go in a bar and I don't spend much time in them these days. 

Yes, on draught, served in a glass is my preference by a country mile. 

On 9/5/2018 at 11:20 PM, markaoffy said:

Where?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Shenanigans Pub corner Patpong and Suriwong.  Let's hope, if the manager is reading this, that they consider having a different promotion cheaper beer every day of the week until closing hours like The Pintsman was doing and an extension of the Happy Hour to 8 PM..

Then I am happy as I can drink every day at affordable price... and remain happy until closing time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 5:04 AM, Ks45672 said:

The londoner has moved way down petchburi road

Don't know if its the same management as the former sukhumvit one but yes, Farang style pubs are definitely dropping off the map 

I guess increasing the alcohol tax every couple of months must have been killing them combined with a new class of tourist that prefer cans of beer from the 7/11

Since the clampdown on street life between soi 3 and 19 there is simply less footfall in that area. There used to thousands of expats and tourists milling around. I an many others just avoid Bangkok now. The fun has gone.

Shenanigans Pub corner Patpong and Suriwong.  Let's hope, if the manager is reading this, that they consider having a different promotion cheaper beer every day of the week until closing hours like The Pintsman was doing and an extension of the Happy Hour to 8 PM..

Then I am happy as I can drink every day at affordable price... and remain happy until closing time.

Happy hour is too early

18 hours ago, markaoffy said:

That’s a positive

What bothers you about bars and pubs staying open?  How can empty dead streets be positive?

17 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I saw one white face all day yesterday. Wonderful. If I want to see whitey in a big city, Ill go to NYC and hunt for them among the Somalis, Ethiopians and Chinese. ????

What colour are you?

The pubs closed because they stopped being pubs. They installed TV and showed wall to wall sports..moronic..Pubs are not sports bars .and they blasted out UDM...Pubs are not nightclubs..Plus because of the war on fun.and freedom by the unelected authorites in Bangkok there is just insufficient footall to sustain such places. Its a Sh*te  hole these days. Go to Saigon..Its rocking..go to Hanoi. ..Rammed! No footie premier league crap and no wall to wall techno except at the backpacker dumps...I have visited all the pubs mentioned in this article..never returned to one. 

11 minutes ago, The manic said:

What colour are you?

Well I gots me some brown arms, my nose is cherry red, my butt is porcelin white and I got this spot of purple on my...never mind....

I'm piebald! How about you Mate? Green with envy if you saw my pic mind you....

On 8/3/2018 at 8:03 AM, korkenzieher said:

Price increases is my opinion. Was there last year, 'bout this time. Asking 350 baht for a pint of 'Craft Beer' in some places. Little in the way of reasonable prices for food or drink, from what I could see. Paid over 600 baht for street food someplace around soi 18. Area basically deserted after about 6pm because the Thai cannot afford to stay there after work. If rents have spiked too, well, it still boils down to people having to buy your stuff in order to pay the rent, whatever the level. You would have to drag me back, to be honest.

No tourist footfall, Some low spending Expats,  Arabs, Indians Chinese.  Its not pubs that are closing...Its that Bangkok is simply not worth visiting. The Bangkokians now go to Pattaya for a bit of freedom. By killing of street life the authorities killed of a large section of commercial night life. Lower Suk, once one the most interesting stretches of road in the world has all the character of a busted condom. Cultural and economic sabotage.

57 minutes ago, The manic said:

No tourist footfall, Some low spending Expats,  Arabs, Indians Chinese.  Its not pubs that are closing...Its that Bangkok is simply not worth visiting. The Bangkokians now go to Pattaya for a bit of freedom. By killing of street life the authorities killed of a large section of commercial night life. Lower Suk, once one the most interesting stretches of road in the world has all the character of a busted condom. Cultural and economic sabotage.

It's still the most visited city in the world though,I lived for 30 years in Amsterdam plenty of bars now charge €7-10 for a imported craft beer I have seen Cider at €12 for 33cl.met a couple of old friends for a meal and went to a bar in the centrum but away from the centre €50 for 4 scotches and 2 jenevers all the major cities are above my pension grade. I am glad I partied hard when it was affordable and I had a libido.I just go shopping now.

4 hours ago, The manic said:

By killing of street life the authorities killed of a large section of commercial night life.

Well Sleazy Suk may be dead but there others are still alive...been to Bang Rak at night lately?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 7:22 PM, likeke said:

We still have Hanrahans on soi 4 in Nana. Good Irish bar/restaurant. Good food and plenty of tv sets for sports.

TVs have no place in pubs and bars unless they are sports bars. TVs are a distraction, they kill off conversation and attract unwanted customers who dont drink much. 

Archived