What happened to Silom bars: all closing?

yimlitnoy

Last christmas The Pintsman on Silom closed without any warning, the same with O'Reillys on Silom and today i noticed the bar Molly Malone on Convent also closed, all those bars were there for more than 30 years at the very least.  Last year was Hemingway on Sukhumvit soi 14, also now the Kiwi on soi 8 also moved.  

Anybody knows what is happening?  where can we now get an affordable pint in normal pubs?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the buildings just sitting there empty ?

I dont live in Bangkok any more, I remember going to 'The Londoner' for food occasionally and one day it closed down.

I heard rumours about massive rent increases. That would explain any empty buildings, they increase the rent so much that it's not viable to run a business there any more.

They are building on Soi Convent where Malones was. Also, the same for where the Kiwi used to be located on Soi 8. I heard a rumour recently that Sukhumvit 33/1 will be next to go too. 

All of them are going due to some development or rent increase. A real shame as Bangkok has probably lost 5 - 10 great drinking spots in the last year or so on Silom and lower Sukhumvit.

I also heard last week that Hemingways is now opening at the old Zak's bar on Soi 11. 

The londoner has moved way down petchburi road

Don't know if its the same management as the former sukhumvit one but yes, Farang style pubs are definitely dropping off the map 

I guess increasing the alcohol tax every couple of months must have been killing them combined with a new class of tourist that prefer cans of beer from the 7/11

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

They are building on Soi Convent where Malones was. Also, the same for where the Kiwi used to be located on Soi 8. I heard a rumour recently that Sukhumvit 33/1 will be next to go too. 

All of them are going due to some development or rent increase. A real shame as Bangkok has probably lost 5 - 10 great drinking spots in the last year or so on Silom and lower Sukhumvit.

I also heard last week that Hemingways is now opening at the old Zak's bar on Soi 11. 

Thank you, I will check Hemingway today.  Prostitution bars are now encouraged, high prices, tattoo marked girls, extremely expensive wines in supermarkets... Bangkok heritage buildings are disappearing...  

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Soi 33/1 seems to be gone already. Used tobe a good bar for watching AFL there.

Things are looking up. The Paddy Field(s) opened next door to Foodland on Patpong 2 about 6 months ago and in the last few weeks Shennanigans has opened on Surawong Road at the far end of Patpong 1. And it looks like some other company is taking over the old Pintsman (based on a banner stretched across the entrance).

So life in Silom is getting back to normal!

The old Kiwi is now a building site it was torn down almost as soon as they moved across the street. But don't despair there are still plenty of western style bars about. Robin Hood, just below Phrom Phong BTS then there are 2 just around the corner from there. Plenty more as you walk down Sukhumvit. Places like The Pintsman went under because the staff were pretty useless, I often used to sit in there and read the paper over a couple of pints. Once I got to the end of the paper without being served that's when I stopped going. 

17 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Last christmas The Pintsman on Silom closed without any warning, the same with O'Reillys on Silom and today i noticed the bar Molly Malone on Convent also closed, all those bars were there for more than 30 years at the very least.  

Neither O'Reilly's nor Molly Malones had been around for anything like 30 years!  The Irish Exchange was in Molly Malones location in 2004 and O'Reilly's appeared over the road after that.

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are the buildings just sitting there empty ?

I dont live in Bangkok any more, I remember going to 'The Londoner' for food occasionally and one day it closed down.

I heard rumours about massive rent increases. That would explain any empty buildings, they increase the rent so much that it's not viable to run a business there any more.

Price increases is my opinion. Was there last year, 'bout this time. Asking 350 baht for a pint of 'Craft Beer' in some places. Little in the way of reasonable prices for food or drink, from what I could see. Paid over 600 baht for street food someplace around soi 18. Area basically deserted after about 6pm because the Thai cannot afford to stay there after work. If rents have spiked too, well, it still boils down to people having to buy your stuff in order to pay the rent, whatever the level. You would have to drag me back, to be honest.

51 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Neither O'Reilly's nor Molly Malones had been around for anything like 30 years!  The Irish Exchange was in Molly Malones location in 2004 and O'Reilly's appeared over the road after that.

It was Delaney's before it was the Oirish Exchange.

3 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

The londoner has moved way down petchburi road

Don't know if its the same management as the former sukhumvit one but yes, Farang style pubs are definitely dropping off the map 

I guess increasing the alcohol tax every couple of months must have been killing them combined with a new class of tourist that prefer cans of beer from the 7/11

I doubt the Londoner relied on tourists. 

1 hour ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Things are looking up. The Paddy Field(s) opened next door to Foodland on Patpong 2 about 6 months ago and in the last few weeks Shennanigans has opened on Surawong Road at the far end of Patpong 1. And it looks like some other company is taking over the old Pintsman (based on a banner stretched across the entrance).

So life in Silom is getting back to normal!

I hope the prices of a pint are friendly.   I will try today Patpong's The paddy Fields and Shennanigans.  So far Soi 23 for me was the last affordable pints (during happy hour...).   

Headlines today announced significantly less westerners arriving or staying/working here now.  Actual tourist arrivals are up but mostly Chinese who rarely spend money except in the big hotels.  They then move on to the next city by plane or coach (if it dont sink, fall down a hill or hit a post first).  No trickle down affect for the local businesses.  Add that to rising inner city rents and I believe there's the problem.

And yet craft beer bars are booming and packed - new ones opening weekly. Tastes have changed, that's about all. A lot of folks won't cross the road for a Leo or Chang or Singha but happily will for an IPA. 

This has been going on around Patpong for at least a year.

It started with the closing of the Paddys at Patpong 1 being changed into a domino pizza.

There seems to be a huge redevelopment going on.  The pub that you mention used to be a German restaurant that you could get a good German beer and food.

They have also closed a couple of dance bars and made the steakhouse.

There seems to be a push to gentrify the area.  The bar that used to be on the corner of silom and Thaniya rd is now a hooters.

Mollys is not the only thing closed on convent they put everyone from the 7/11  Au bon and such along silom and convent area and have closed all the stores and shops including Starbucks on convent.  I asked a local that has been there a while and they have decided to remove everything and put in a bigger newer building.  I will guarantee that any shops in it will, for the most part, be big business and the chances of a person starting a bar are slim.  The owners know that they have prime real estate and are now as contracts and leases expire shutting them down to build new.  

I have also talked to people along Patpong that have3 worked and owned there for years and they are not sure how much longer they will be there.

If you look around BKK this is not just a one area thing.  They are staring it in the NANA  and PRATANUM area.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

O'Reillys was definitely there in 2002

15 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I have also talked to people along Patpong that have3 worked and owned there for years and they are not sure how much longer they will be there.

If you look around BKK this is not just a one area thing.  They are staring it in the NANA  and PRATANUM area.

"I have also talked to people along Patpong that have3 worked and owned there for years and they are not sure how much longer they will be there".

The only people who own anything in Patpong I and Patpong II are the Phatphong family that privately owns the whole area!

Archived