What happened to Silom bars: all closing?

yimlitnoy

15 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

I would love to know if the Hemingway’s reopening is true. That was my favorite watering hole before the land got sold out from under them to build a hotel.

Just what I was told by a mate in Bangkok who is well up on his drinking establishment news. They are developing the old Zaks site now so I guess we will see soon. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, blackcab said:

Public roads in Thailand are named in Thai. The English translation is simply that - a convenience for those who cannot read Thai script.

Below is a screenshot from Google maps to help you with that.

The location is:

https://maps.google.com/?cid=4489475517897559654&hl=en&gl=gb

Screenshot_20180805-133605_Maps.jpg

Thanks for confirming what I already knew that the road is question is Convent Road, not Covenant Road. That is what I was commenting on, if you bothered to read my comment properly, which was in English for the convenience of those who can read English script.  The road name in that blurred photo that you so helpfully pictured does say Convent Road.

i remember going to the pintsman and their pints were not cheap. i think around 200 baht snd up if i remember correctly. western prices i remember. if uou wanted a meal it was 300 and up, a special treat but not something i wang to do all the time, esp in thailand.

the only times i regularly frequented these pubs if i was into drinking, rather then just nursing a pint all evening, was happy hour which i liked becsuse the drinks were affordable.

my guess is that they were charging so much that it was not easy grtting regulars, just people passing by who wojld overpay that one time and leave.

i remember one place, the londoner i think, that had cheap eats and beer right outside the windows, many times i just said screw it and drank outside.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:
21 hours ago, huawei said:

Where on Thonglor and the name..

thanks 

The Old English Pub, near to the shopping place with Tops and Starbucks,

99 ThB ( no++) for a pint of Asahi.

19 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

i remember going to the pintsman and their pints were not cheap. i think around 200 baht snd up if i remember correctly. western prices i remember. if uou wanted a meal it was 300 and up, a special treat but not something i wang to do all the time, esp in thailand.

This pub was one of the very few that didn't run decent promotions. Probably why they went bust, since almost all of the others do, including a couple that were just a stone's throw away. I can think of a dozen city centre pubs with all day happy hours in the 100-120 a pint range, some even lower. 

20 hours ago, Boycie said:

Screenshot_2018-08-06-17-23-19.png.ef723975abe80974cd16a9cda0208985.png

weird thing about this one is that its always virtually empty during happy hour. service sucks as well (ibid need to go in find your own menu at the bar, walk around the bar until you find the bartender, order, pay there, carry glass to table outside a la robin hood style) but the outdoor seating area is better then robin hood.

was last there a year ago. grand opening??? gimmick

11 minutes ago, bkkmick said:

Sorry, I don't know. I only drink the Pilsner.

To be honest I don't remember the flier mentioning only local beers.

I understand

But if it included erdinger or Guinness  etc they would bankrupt themselves rapidly lol

2 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

weird thing about this one is that its always virtually empty during happy hour. service sucks as well (ibid need to go in find your own menu at the bar, walk around the bar until you find the bartender, order, pay there, carry glass to table outside a la robin hood style) but the outdoor seating area is better then robin hood.

Why lie? Whats the point?

You happened to be there last year when it was not even constructed, and not only that you know its always virtually empty. Please can you tell me what kick you get from making things up on an anonymous forum? its really odd.

The bottom line for anything is clientele.  If there are not enough patrons then they close and move to another location.  It is the same with any business.  Used to be that a lot of Brits went to Silom so they had lots of pubs.  As the numbers lowered then they start closing.  A perfect example is where Hooters is now.  How many Japanese tourists do you know drink, Guinness.  

How many and by looking at all the working girls on Thaiya there are a lot like looking at sexy girls.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:51 PM, Dick Crank said:

You're aware that there's a couple of dozen English or Irish pubs around town with similar frontages? This has only just been built, new location, grand opening last night.

https://m.facebook.com/The-Old-English-Pub-214413485860759/

I don't know, how many of these question have been answered, but since my office is just at the corner of Patpong? Suriwonge...here is a little update about the area.

Molly's -as far as I heard- was just moving a bit down Convent, because the former "home" will be demolished.

O'Reilleys is now Hooters

The German Restaurant "G's" has moved to Soi 4.

In it's place, there is the cozy Paddy Filed.

The "big brother" of Paddy's moved into the "modern" building between Patpong 1 & 2 at the Suriwong- end and is called Shenannigans (and is excellent, by the way).

I have no idea what happened to the Pintsman, but if they moved out because of the rent, I wish the one that moves in "good luck"_ Pintsman was very well frequented and if they can not pay rent...

There are still pubs in the area, that are managed by the same owner: After Hours at Soi 8 and the M- Pub at the Ascott Hotel on Sathorn!

You are welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Shenanigans Pub is an excellent replacement Pub in the Patpong area.  The Pub is all new, it has outdoor and indoor tables, many TVs and no music, so a discussion is possible.  I am now happy with this new Pub, the cheapest local pint (Tiger) is 99 Baht and the rest is around 130 Baht during Happy Hours.  I only hope that they will extend happy hours to 8 PM or even 9PM so I do not start in my drinking habit so early.

Of course nice long ponytails beautiful waitress and the manager is very sociable.  Patpong bars are now so expensive that after this Shenanigans stopover, unfortunately I have to head home.

I liked the now closed Pintsman Pub because they had a beer promotion each day of the week with a different brand, this way I could continue in my daily drinking habit at affordable price until late in the night... 

The Tavern in Patpong used to be the best gathering 24 hour drinking hole in Bangkok back in the day. Now reduced to just open (if still) as everyone found higher ground. I still occasionally step in there now and then, but when Pet the manager lady left years upon years ago it was down hill.

”was last there a year ago”?
It was a Korean dessert outlet from when it was built until a few months ago.
We went there last week, it was really busy and were lucky to get a seat, nice couple of pints of Old Speckled Hen and no ++, pretty good service.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/3/2018 at 6:04 AM, Ks45672 said:

The londoner has moved way down petchburi road

Don't know if its the same management as the former sukhumvit one but yes, Farang style pubs are definitely dropping off the map 

I guess increasing the alcohol tax every couple of months must have been killing them combined with a new class of tourist that prefer cans of beer from the 7/11

Or going to pubs and drinking average beer is not on anybody's to do list when they visit Bangkok.

18 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

”was last there a year ago”?
It was a Korean dessert outlet from when it was built until a few months ago.
We went there last week, it was really busy and were lucky to get a seat, nice couple of pints of Old Speckled Hen and no ++, pretty good service.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yep, it only actually opened its doors about a month ago, no more.  Been there a few times at various times of the day and night - always fairly busy.  I've eaten in there once and the food was good.

I find the service to be spotty though, especially if you are sat outside.  The staff tend to hang around the bar chatting to each other and no-one goes outside to check for orders.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:55 PM, Wake Up said:

They are building a new mall on covenant and revamping the mall near covenant according to a friend of mine that works at the USA embassy and generally knows what is happening in that area. 

That is public information:

Project name: Silom Square 
Height: Expected around 240 metres
Plot size: Appx 6 rai.
Developer: Minor Group x NYE Estate
Use: Mixed-use commercial, up to 50000 sqm of office space

Never understood the urge of people to go out and pay crazy prices for a beer from back home. I have spent some time in the city of Bangkok but never had the urge to visit one of these over priced places.

Visiting home at present eleven dollars for a gin and tonic no thank you.

Archived