Replacing ni cad batteries in a power tool battery pack.

The Deerhunter

I know that L-Ion is the way to go now but I have a couple of older power tools that work well but the Ni Cad batteries need replacing.  Has anyone had experience in obtaining these batteries in LOS?  I believe the type I need are called  Sub-C or 4/fifth cells,12 per pack. I could replace the tools but I have four battery modules for one and the charging setup us for 14.4 volt Ni cads.  I have tried "zapping" them and they seem to accept a charge but run down in minutes.

Some branches of Amorn were offering a re-celling service, replacing the cells with properly welded connections. Worth a look although I've seen reports that they have stopped doing it.

They should sell the cells too if you want to go DIY.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:00 AM, Crossy said:

Some branches of Amorn were offering a re-celling service, replacing the cells with properly welded connections. Worth a look although I've seen reports that they have stopped doing it.

They should sell the cells too if you want to go DIY.

Please forgive my ignorance but I have never heard of Amorn Found them on Google thanks.will try them.  A complete installs would be best but I would struggle through it myself if necessary

I don't know where you are, but if you're in Bkk there is an area not far from Pahurat with countless shops that deal with tools, parts etc.  Let me know if you want more details.

Don't know if this will be of much help, but there may be someone at a local "tech mall" that does battery pack cell replacement.  Of course they mostly deal with computers, but the battery packs for tools are the same principal (higher amperage, of course).  I once had it done for a battery pack for an extinct laptop at Pranthip in Bkk.  If you can not speak Thai sufficiently try to bring a Thai with you, you'll probably be dealing directly with the guy who does the job.

It's indeed hard to find the Sub-C or 4/fifth type cells in Thailand the OP is talking about....I've always ordered them off Ebay....they come out of China....as every few years I replaced these batteries in a couple of my cordless drill  power packs.  However, one time I found some  Sub-C batteries at an Amorn store but they were like  four times more expensive than buying them off Ebay. 

Archived