VIDEO: Scare on BTS as Skytrain door opens mid journey

webfact

VIDEO: Scare on BTS as Skytrain door opens mid journey

Untitled-1-16.jpg

Picture: Spring News

A video posted on Facebook showed the moment the door of a BTS skytrain opened mid journey in front of shocked passengers.

The incident happened during rush hour on Thursday morning on a packed BTS train travelling between Mo Chit and Saphan Kwai.

On Friday, officials from the Bangkok Mass Transit System apologised over the incident but gave no details on what caused the doors to open while the train was moving.

In a statement, the firm the BTS operator said passengers reported the issue to technicians at Saphan Kwai station who fixed the door minutes later.

The operator reminded passengers not to lean against Skytrain doors.

Via Spring News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-03

When is this company going to face the music for their poor attention to providing a consistent public transport service?!?!?

Quite expensive, when compared to other transport network hubs around the world. You would think for the prices they charge they could get signalling and safety issues right!

God knows how it is going to operate, once the Sukumvit line extension is operated. I predict further frustrating delays and at the very least, over packed trains and over crowded platforms as the promised increased frequency of trains fails to deliver.

Warning after BTS train door opens between stations

By The Nation

The BTS Skytrain operator has warned passengers against leaning on doors after the door of a train opened between stations on Thursday.

Bangkok Transit System plc (BTSC) announced the warning on its Twitter page on Friday in response to a Facebook post on a page that monitors glitches on the Skytrain service, "Wan Nee BTS Pen Arai (What's Happenning to BTS Today)".

The post said the door opened on a train that was approaching Saphan Khwai station and a passenger rang an alarm to notify officials.

BTSC said on @BTS_SkyTrain Twitter page that the incident happened at 7.30am on Thursday on train No 14.

BTSC said the door had a glitch and opened after it left the Mo Chit station but officials stopped the train and solved the problem at the next station, Saphan Khwai.

The operation took two minutes, the Twitter message added..

BTSC said the train was later checked to prevent more glitches.

The Twitter message advised passengers against leaning on the doors and advised them to ring an alarm or send an alert to the Twitter page.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351357

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-03

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

The BTS Skytrain operator has warned passengers against leaning on doors after the door of a train opened between stations on Thursday.

The video shows no one was leaning against the doors.  BTS should be ashamed trying to blame their poor maintenance routine on passengers.

What happens if the trains are jammed pack until passengers need to stand near the doors. Especially doors opposite platform which are not supposed to open at all the whole journey since most of the platforms are located at the left side of the train.

9 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

The video shows no one was leaning against the doors.  BTS should be ashamed trying to blame their poor maintenance routine on passengers.

I agree that the BTS shouldn’t blame passengers... but... in this story, I don’t read it that the BTS is saying directly or implying that the cause of the door issue was due to passengers actions.

To me, I think it was more of a warning not to lean because IF something like this happens, injury can occur.

35 minutes ago, bangkok blue said:

When is this company going to face the music for their poor attention to providing a consistent public transport service?!?!?

Quite expensive, when compared to other transport network hubs around the world. You would think for the prices they charge they could get signalling and safety issues right!

God knows how it is going to operate, once the Sukumvit line extension is operated. I predict further frustrating delays and at the very least, over packed trains and over crowded platforms as the promised increased frequency of trains fails to deliver.

Nothing will happen until a incident worthy of action occurs....doors opening between stations is a simple malfunction !

that's pretty shit poor performance. i know most trains, certainly London underground trains have a circuit running through the doors and if the circuit breaks the train will come to a stop. so on old trains even that had guards, the guard would give the driver the bell(electric circuit confirming all the doors are closed) on the newer trains they would often announce not to lean on the doors as although they certainly shouldn't open as in the case on the bts, it could break a saftey circuit and the train may keep stopping during rush hour for example. something tells me as well as usual bad maintenance they may also have a few design flaws.

I normally travel in the late afternoon (6:00PM) from Sapan Thaksin to Asoke. The Silom  line is working again but the Sukhumvit line is overcrowded and dangerous. The corrupt operator is to blame, not the great employees trying to do a job with broken trains, unsafe conditions and no support from staff. I think the managers should take a ride on the BTS during peak traffic instead of their limousine. 

2 hours ago, Happy enough said:

that's pretty shit poor performance. i know most trains, certainly London underground trains have a circuit running through the doors and if the circuit breaks the train will come to a stop. so on old trains even that had guards, the guard would give the driver the bell(electric circuit confirming all the doors are closed) on the newer trains they would often announce not to lean on the doors as although they certainly shouldn't open as in the case on the bts, it could break a saftey circuit and the train may keep stopping during rush hour for example. something tells me as well as usual bad maintenance they may also have a few design flaws.

On most modern trains, the train will not be stopped mid-route, as it is difficult to deal with any problems on the viaduct.  Instead, the train will be held at the platform for the problem to be resolved, which is what happened here. 

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

On most modern trains, the train will not be stopped mid-route, as it is difficult to deal with any problems on the viaduct.  Instead, the train will be held at the platform for the problem to be resolved, which is what happened here. 

held at the next platform. the trains doors are open whilst moving between platforms. not sure all modern trains but i know that underground trains in the UK would stop. the operator would then have to go down the carriages to fix the problem. most problems can be sorted from under the seats and floors on the carriages and the operators training is mainly fault finding and fixing and a small amount is the actual driving the trains which is a piece of piss if they have to even drive them at all. if the operator couldn't fix the problem he would isolate that carriage and sort at the next station. not sure the BTS trains but there's a serious flaw there, that's seriously dangerous especially during rush hour. luckily that carriage didn't look too packed as they often are

For a commuter line in a capital city, the BTS has not been bad. No system is perfect and technology always has breakdowns and glitches even with rigorous safety checks. The BTS is very overcrowded at this point. I hate the noise pollution of the advertising. And I don't like the owners: they are greedy, filthy rich and have gotten plenty of breaks and incentives from the government. They can and should do better by the passengers. I don't expect they will, though. But I lived in Bangkok before there was a BTS, and honestly it is a godsend and its performance, if not excellent, has been good. 

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

What happens if the trains are jammed pack until passengers need to stand near the doors. Especially doors opposite platform which are not supposed to open at all the whole journey since most of the platforms are located at the left side of the train.

Excellent point. 

I usually catch the BTS at Asoke heading towards Bearing at the end of the business day (between, say, 5:30 to 6:30 pm, depending).  Asoke station is packed at that time.  And there is only one train every 10 minutes instead of the normal three minute interval, meaning you might need to wait for several trains before you can actually board a train. (No idea why the frequency of trains decreases during rush hour).  They'll even block the escalators to the platform at that time intermittently to prevent the platform from getting too crowded.  Not only is this a major inconvenience, but every train is naturally packed because passengers are understandably squeezing to get onto a train.  If they don't do this, they won't catch a train.  

Every train on a weekday around these hours heading in the Bearing/Samrong direction down to at least Thonglor or Ekkamai is packed full.  Passengers are unavoidably crammed up against the doors.  If the doors unexpectedly opened during this time, passengers will very likely fall out of the train.

This is is an obvious danger, and the operators of the BTS must know about it.  People will die. You can argue take alternative transportation, but at this time of the day there is no viable alternative transportation.  Traffic is at standstill and taxis won't take passengers far.

The MRT does not have these sorts of problems.  So, why does the BTS have these problems?  Its obvious that these problems are going to lead to deaths.  I am amazed the authorities have not stepped in and forced BTS to fix this problem.  Wait a minute...I am in Thailand...I guess I should not be surprised that the the authorities are ignoring the problem. 

When a few passengers die from BTS's negligence, I am sure they will express surprise that this happened and launch an "investigation".  Maybe a committee will be formed to study the problem.  But its obvious now that unless this problem is fixed, BTS passengers will  die.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

what do you expect from a company that uses WiFi frequencies to control their trains?

isn't Thailand exciting? I love it here!

Don't most train companies use Wifi throughout the world?

The difference is that they use private networks not publically shared ones.

5 hours ago, RobertH said:

For a commuter line in a capital city, the BTS has not been bad. No system is perfect and technology always has breakdowns and glitches even with rigorous safety checks. The BTS is very overcrowded at this point. I hate the noise pollution of the advertising. And I don't like the owners: they are greedy, filthy rich and have gotten plenty of breaks and incentives from the government. They can and should do better by the passengers. I don't expect they will, though. But I lived in Bangkok before there was a BTS, and honestly it is a godsend and its performance, if not excellent, has been good. 

Very good comment. Thank you!

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no. none do.

Alstom, Bombardier use the wifi band frequencies.  I expect most of the other signalling companies do as well.  The safety's in the message, not the frequency band.

The doors were not actually opened, they were just unlocked.  Perhaps the door had been isolated and the lock had not worked properly.  A passenger could have pushed the doors closed if they felt in danger of falling out.  You have to give people some credit for common sense in perilous situations.

I can't tell, but if it is one of the old Siemens trains, then it's very similar indeed to the MRT underground trains.

12 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

It is a private company. They offer transport. You don't want to use it? Up to you. 

I think you've been in Thailand too long. You've become a Thai apologist and forgotten how the real world operates. Plenty like you, and if that makes you happy then fine.

7 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Alstom, Bombardier use the wifi band frequencies.  I expect most of the other signalling companies do as well.  The safety's in the message, not the frequency band.

sorry can you provide a link to this statement?

a train full of thousands of passengers in and around the platform all with cellphones many with their WiFi transmitters on, traveling down a track surrounded by thousands more WiFi transmitters competing for bandwidth with the trains RF data communication system?

Maybe in Thailand where they have no clue, but not in the real world.

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry can you provide a link to this statement?

a train full of thousands of passengers in and around the platform all with cellphones many with their WiFi transmitters on, traveling down a track surrounded by thousands more WiFi transmitters competing for bandwidth with the trains RF data communication system?

Maybe in Thailand where they have no clue, but not in the real world.

Is your Google broken?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/4243716_Use_of_24_GHz_frequency_band_for_Communications_Based_Train_Control_data_communications_systems

Archived