VIDEO: Scare on BTS as Skytrain door opens mid journey

webfact

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no. none do.

From someone in the industry, you are wrong.

It is called Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC), which has allowed for technologies such as Moving Block Train Detection, as opposed to Fixed Block and Physical Track Circuits, which are simply not practical in operational headway requirements for Bangkok.

The failure is not acceptable, but that is another story.

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

what do you expect from a company that uses WiFi frequencies to control their trains?

isn't Thailand exciting? I love it here!

Obviously a seasoned resident same as me..

Rule of thumb..

T.I.T you should learn to expect the unexpected... no surprises anymore.

I love it too... that's why I came here...
I have no wish to change it into something like the country I came from, if you don't like the safety standards or operating systems go home!!

On 8/3/2018 at 11:18 AM, webfact said:

Bangkok Mass Transit System apologised over the incident but gave no details on what caused the doors to open while the train was moving.

LOL!  Welcome to Thailand!

On 8/3/2018 at 10:00 AM, zaphod reborn said:

The video shows no one was leaning against the doors.  BTS should be ashamed trying to blame their poor maintenance routine on passengers.

The doors were already open when the video starts, you don't think anyone would be leaning on them once they were already open do you?

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Obviously a seasoned resident same as me..

Rule of thumb..

T.I.T you should learn to expect the unexpected... no surprises anymore.

I love it too... that's why I came here...
I have no wish to change it into something like the country I came from, if you don't like the safety standards or operating systems go home!!

Like on the old slam door stock when you could be off and vaulted over the ticket barriers with a cheery V to the ticket man before the train had stopped.

I think going home because of a Youtube video  of a train fault is a bit extreme.

As the Japanese would say - that does not usually happen.

things will continue go degrade with age, damage, wear and tear, poor maintenance plans, poor maintenance work, etc.  so many devices and services and systems just are not maintained and watched over or monitored properly not just in Thailand but all over.  Thailand unfortunately seems to have a poor maintenance or follow through or sustainment mentality

Normally we have someone from the oil and gas fraternity telling us how in their industry Thai standards are comparable to anywhere else in the world.  That is certainly the case at BTS and BMCL; they might not be the best, but they are far from the worst.  One advantage I think that they have is they have a fairly good understanding of where they rank; they don't think that they are any better than they are, although they might like to be.

I've seen BTS grow and prosper; I don't have access to their statistics, but I think that they're reliability and service is pretty good, marred by the impact of the extensive upgrading that has been necessary as the routes have extended, the ridership risen and the number of trains increased.  People use it despite the price because its the best way to get around town.  I used it because it was more pleasant than a taxi, even though with two or three or four of us it was more expensive and no quicker.

SC

22 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I've seen BTS grow and prosper; I don't have access to their statistics

If you did have access to their statistics I think you might find that they've been absolutely raking it in during recent times, including hiking prices while spending the minimum possible on maintenance. 

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

If you did have access to their statistics I think you might find that they've been absolutely raking it in during recent times, including hiking prices while spending the minimum possible on maintenance. 

New trains, platform gates, new signalling system, new skywalks; doesn't sound like spending the minimum to me.  Sounds like a prospering business investing to meet demand.

I always thought that reports of severe overcrowding on the BTS were exaggerated until, on Friday, I had to take a trip to Silom at 08:30 from Phrom Phong..

It was almost like the videos from Japan of the passengers being booted into the carriage.

I had to let 3 trains go past before I really had to join them.

Ha ha --- DO NOT LEAN ON THE DOORS! Had the doors opened during my journey, many would have been injured or worse.

And not even an apology from BTS. Just a stupid warning.

Archived