Bicycles in Thailand

Beeonlotus

Firstly, welcome aboard. Secondly, I guess you are NOT in Thailand & have never been here. No one can provide accurate advice if we don't know where you wish to purchase said bicycle. However,  there's not a village, town or city in the country that doesn't have a multitude of bike shops.

Cheers. Happy & SAFE cycling.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2018 at 8:27 AM, malt25 said:

Firstly, welcome aboard. Secondly, I guess you are NOT in Thailand & have never been here. No one can provide accurate advice if we don't know where you wish to purchase said bicycle. However,  there's not a village, town or city in the country that doesn't have a multitude of bike shops.

Cheers. Happy & SAFE cycling.

Didn't realize I overlooked that important bit of information. I'm in Pak Chong, situated roughly midway between Korat and Bangkok. I've lived here off and on for over 6 years.

31 minutes ago, Beeonlotus said:

Didn't realize I overlooked that important bit of information. I'm in Pak Chong, situated roughly midway between Korat and Bangkok. I've lived here off and on for over 6 years.

Not intended as a flame or wind up.... But !

It never ceases to amaze me why people don't become friends with Mr Google. A 2 second click & this came up immediately.

https://www.google.co.th/search?ei=dU9tW9GpLpTRrQH1_6uYCA&q=pak+chong+bicycle+shops&oq=pak+chong+bicycle+shops&gs_l=psy-ab.12...2879.8408.0.11351.14.14.0.0.0.0.224.2346.0j12j2.14.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.13.2128...0j0i67k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j0i8i13i30k1j33i10k1j33i160k1.0.C_B46h_kmtA

I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:47 PM, malt25 said:

Not intended as a flame or wind up.... But !

It never ceases to amaze me why people don't become friends with Mr Google. A 2 second click & this came up immediately.

https://www.google.co.th/search?ei=dU9tW9GpLpTRrQH1_6uYCA&q=pak+chong+bicycle+shops&oq=pak+chong+bicycle+shops&gs_l=psy-ab.12...2879.8408.0.11351.14.14.0.0.0.0.224.2346.0j12j2.14.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.13.2128...0j0i67k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j0i8i13i30k1j33i10k1j33i160k1.0.C_B46h_kmtA

I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there.

It's not so much a matter of finding a bike shop - I know that there are two in Pak Chong, but I grew a little concerned about the fact that most of the bikes (as far as I've been told) are custom-built, meaning it's difficult for me to assess objectively the price - given the fact that I don't know a significant amount about biking.  My concern was a) how reasonable the prices there are and b) how they compare to other bike shops in/around Thailand, especially two other locations which are located near to me: Khorat and Bangkok.  If there's a significantly better deal to be had, I might make it worth the trouble to go to Bkk or Khorat to save several thousand Bhaat (my price range is roughly 15,000).  I admit I could've been more specific in my questions - I can be foolish at times.

But now it's possibly not relevant.  A friend of a friend who's a bike-enthusiast is going to go shopping with me, so hopefully it'll be sorted out and I'll rely mostly on his expertise.

Cheers for the help and not flaming too hard on me :)

By the term"gravel bike" I can only assume you intend to do most of your riding on semi-smooth or unpaved roads. If so, what you need is a Mountain Bike. For a first bike, I would suggest you start with an off the rack bike. You buy decent quality MB's that cost between 5,000-8,000 baht from stores like Big C, Tesco, Home Pro, Global House and other shops. As a novice and inexperienced beginner,  spending 15,000 baht on a first bike would be foolish and so is letting a friend of a friend chose a bike for you.  I bought my Coyote MB 2 years ago, ride at least 20 km four days a week and saved 2/3's of your budget. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

By the term"gravel bike" I can only assume you intend to do most of your riding on semi-smooth or unpaved roads. If so, what you need is a Mountain Bike. For a first bike, I would suggest you start with an off the rack bike. You buy decent quality MB's that cost between 5,000-8,000 baht from stores like Big C, Tesco, Home Pro, Global House and other shops. As a novice and inexperienced beginner,  spending 15,000 baht on a first bike would be foolish and so is letting a friend of a friend chose a bike for you.  I bought my Coyote MB 2 years ago, ride at least 20 km four days a week and saved 2/3's of your budget. 

As an off road & highway cyclist for what seems like eons, I agree totally with the above. You will definitely get a bike off the rack for above quoted price. If someone tries to convince you that you need a custom bike... rubbish. You'll get almost perfect fit with seat adjustment as long as you choose something pretty close to "your fit" when you buy. many bikes have adjustable goose neck & handlebar tilt adjustment for final fit.

Good luck & enjoy.

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

By the term"gravel bike" I can only assume you intend to do most of your riding on semi-smooth or unpaved roads.

If so, what you need is a Mountain Bike

A gravel bike is a road bike with a frame that takes fatter tires (retaining the drop handlebars and no suspension), and often disc brakes. Road bike frames only take up to 30mm tires, gravel bike frames take much wider tires typically up to 40mm. Mountain bikes are totally different designs (much heavier) with suspension and straight handlebars.

Edited by BritManToo