Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure, yes.

How about not working at all for 3 times 80.  The best!!

Come on guy's nobody any higher …? do we have a winner already ?…. come on don't be shy ...?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a small sampling.  But, nevertheless, most farangs would not really be 'struggling' on 45,000 Baht a month, especially if they own their own place.  They might not be living high on the hog and ordering $500 bottles of wine at dinner and complaining bitterly that the waitress wouldn't know a good glass of wine from Kool-aid, but they would likely have a decent roof over their head, in a project with probably at least a pool and fitness room to keep in shape, and enough money to eat ok and have some entertainment, in a nice climate where they can be active year-round and don't have to hibernate 3 months out of the year.   

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Could be …. but more  likely amongst the 24 karat gold digger bitches ….?

Never ceases to amaze me how so many farang opinions of Thai women are so negative. Nice girls can provide even more benefits than gold diggers and have fewer detriments. However, that means  you have to have something more than just money to attract them. 

6 hours ago, CLW said:

Maybe around 10,000 per month like so many working in retail and service jobs. And they are still alive, have food everyday and lead a passable life. So please TV stop spreading myths and foreigners should stop moaning that you can't survive with or less than 25k per month. Of course if you drink everyday, only eat out and with western food, probably frequent some bars it can be difficult....
But other than that with a moderate lifestyle 25k is doable in BKK, more even in smaller cities or upcountry.

Thanks for your post, can only agree with you.
But those who need western food, cheese, regular beer, bar entertainment, aircon a.s.o. to be happy might have a problem to get around with 25K or less.
Looking forward to the "nice replies" of the pros ?  

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Never ceases to amaze me how so many farang opinions of Thai women are so negative. Nice girls can provide even more benefits than gold diggers and have fewer detriments. However, that means  you have to have something more than just money to attract them. 

That is not the point I am referring to...… I just make the point that not too attractive woman have to be nice in behavior specially …. compare it with ugly fat sweating men need big money for the girls to like them ….on first sight it is all in the eye first …. good character can only shown in second stage from those men (us ..?...)

Same time I am surprised of the many who have a "my girl is different " one , but yes  some win the Euromillions lottery too  ?

4 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

This forum is completely OBSESSED with health insurance. When I'm out and about I very rarely hear this talked about but on here it gets done to death on a daily basis.

Well if you dont come in the category, eg age 70+ move on.

For those that are, a major health problem ie stroke ,heart attack,cancer could completely blow any savings,if any, out of the water.

Sorry you never hear about it when you are "out and about" what a ridiculous statement.

21 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Have to spend, or want  to spend?  Not sure who it would be making you spend; other than yourself. In that case, it would be want to spend, wouldn't it?  I want to spend more to make a better life for my family. I guess I could spend less and make them get by on less, but I don't want to.

What i wanted to say this is not about income but about expenses. My expenses are not high 45k (could do with less even). I make (as in earn) far more. I just don't spend all the money i make (earn).

56 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Uhu...some days we are  serious criminals (some are said to have overstayed their visa) now we are poor to......the National propaganda foot kicks hard these days...?

So it seems that here the only difference is that either the foreigner is

an unsuccessful criminal on a scooter for 10 k or a successful criminal in the car for 3M

?

10 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Well if you dont come in the category, eg age 70+ move on.

For those that are, a major health problem ie stroke ,heart attack,cancer could completely blow any savings,if any, out of the water.

Sorry you never hear about it when you are "out and about" what a ridiculous statement.

It's not a ridiculous statement at all. How come this is the only place I ever hear people rambling on and on about health insurance?? It never ends on here and anyone who hasn't got it should be strung up etc.

Then again this is the only group of people who never smoke, drink, do anything wrong, have great wife's Thai friends, all just so perfect. It's utterly sickening.

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

How did the OP turn into to a thread about how much I earn and how much i have made c@ck waver. 

At least for some, no point in having/making a lot of money if you can't gloat.

1 minute ago, david555 said:

That is not the point I am referring to...… I just make the point that not too attractive woman have to be nice in behavior specially …. compare it with ugly fat sweating men need big money for the girls to like them ….on first sight it is all in the eye first …. good character can only shown in second stage from those men (us ..?...)

So, your point is that good looking girls do not have to be nice?  Yeah, that is a given; no one has to be nice, even ugly women do not have to be nice. 

I do not see the correlation between that statement and saying ugly fat sweating men need big money to be liked. It seems to me you are still talking about ladies of negotiable virtue and their customers.

22 minutes ago, newnative said:

Seems like a small sampling.  But, nevertheless, most farangs would not really be 'struggling' on 45,000 Baht a month, especially if they own their own place.  They might not be living high on the hog and ordering $500 bottles of wine at dinner and complaining bitterly that the waitress wouldn't know a good glass of wine from Kool-aid, but they would likely have a decent roof over their head, in a project with probably at least a pool and fitness room to keep in shape, and enough money to eat ok and have some entertainment, in a nice climate where they can be active year-round and don't have to hibernate 3 months out of the year.   

Hibernate 3 months a year?? What part of the world are you from?

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

So, your point is that good looking girls do not have to be nice?  Yeah, that is a given; no one has to be nice, even ugly women do not have to be nice. 

I do not see the correlation between that statement and saying ugly fat sweating men need big money to be liked. It seems to me you are still talking about ladies of negotiable virtue and their customers.

That's OK -- I am not nice so good looking girls who aren't nice and I get along just swell.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

What i wanted to say this is not about income but about expenses. My expenses are not high 45k (could do with less even). I make (as in earn) far more. I just don't spend all the money i make (earn).

That is commendable. I have made my life-long budget--spend less than you earn. However, I prefer to earn enough to live well--well, in my estimation, because my estimation is what I have to please. 

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

your point is o.k. , only it does not shows so much around …. maybe it is as I am Pattaya based …. could that be the reason maybe …? (just be happy if you have found it ,an hide it …) ?

1 hour ago, coulson said:

25,000 or over is not a graduates starting pay unless you're on about medicine or law, read my comment in context (ignore the joke).

Graduates start on about 15k generally, with a masters maybe up to 20k, then after a few years experience they can reach 25k, depending on the field of course.

A few months ago I hired a new engineering team member. Straight from the uni new grad Bs not masters. Starting salary 23.5 k. She will be in 40k in about 3 to 4 years and growing fast. She isn't even fluent in English yet, otherwise her salary would be more. This is in electrical engineering. Similar salaries for several other engineering jobs in our company. And I know also in a lot of other comparable companies. 

Do you have active knowledge about salaries in Thailand or are you just guessing? 

2 minutes ago, Cheops said:

A few months ago I hired a new engineering team member. Straight from the uni new grad Bs not masters. Starting salary 23.5 k. She will be in 40k in about 3 to 4 years and growing fast. She isn't even fluent in English yet, otherwise her salary would be more. This is in electrical engineering. Similar salaries for several other engineering jobs in our company. And I know also in a lot of other comparable companies. 

Do you have active knowledge about salaries in Thailand or are you just guessing? 

Believe all you say , but how much is this group in % of Thai population ..I am curious to hear that from you ?

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed, I'm always surprised at the number of western adults that can't cook, then complain about restaurant prices and junk food.

If a food court sells it for 50bht, you can cook it at home for 10bht, saving 80% of your eating costs.

Hi

You are correct IMO.

I`ll  ashamedly admit I cannot really cook other than ultra basic ( sorry, should learn ) but  lucky maybe that I have  a Thai lady living with me for about 8 or 9 years.

She can cook, very well, both Thai and western, I prefer the latter.

She does the food shopping.

I sometimes ask what the food content of a meal has cost, amazed at how low it is compared to eating in restaurants.

Matches your 80 % saving and she can beat 80 to 90 % of restaurants in quality.

Had a great meal last night at home, would have been at least 4 times more in a restaurant.

Same as usual.

I do still sometimes go to restaurants,  don`t complain about the prices.

Makes a change that`s all.

Well OK, have  whinged when I have had over priced junk served as food.

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

Same time I am surprised of the many who have a "my girl is different " one , but yes  some win the Euromillions lottery too  ?

Certainly, attractive women do not have to be nice; no one has to be nice, not even ugly women.

However, I see no point of correlation between that statement and "ugly fat sweating men need big money for the girls to like them"  unless you are still talking about ladies of negotiable virtue and their customers; which was the point my original comment on your post

30 minutes ago, dpspike said:

Depending on the terms of their visa (e.g., retirement), those living here on less than 45,000 per month might want to avoid broadcasting that too loudly. 

As I read the OP, "living here on less than 45,000 per month" means how much you are using/month. We (2 persons) get by with 30,000 per month, if drinking add 10,000.

4 minutes ago, Whitestarschool said:

You can live in your car, but you can never drive your house.

I get around 30k bhat a month. I have to hand it over to the wife who then gives me 2k bhat back. "Now don't forget to put money aside for your visa and do try not to waste any like last month."

Archived