Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

Sorry, Dad.

I wasn't talking about myself and certainly not you, pal.

My experience in living here for many years is that you have 2 types of 'expats' say below retirement years, either the ones that work here on modest salaries, or the dodgy types, ie criminals...if you disagree crack on fella. I think you shouldn't get yourself so wound up with other peoples opinions on a message board. For such a successful guy like yourself I'm surprised you're so angry and resentful of other opinions. Was your somtam too spicy this morning or something?

I apologise to Son ?. Sorry.  But you are referring in your post to lifestyle choices (Criminals) or people who are lucky or come from money (Gravy Train). Not everyone is like that. 

No Somtam this morning BTW. Too much caffeine. 

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Maybe around 10,000 per month like so many working in retail and service jobs. And they are still alive, have food everyday and lead a passable life. So please TV stop spreading myths and foreigners should stop moaning that you can't survive with or less than 25k per month. Of course if you drink everyday, only eat out and with western food, probably frequent some bars it can be difficult....
But other than that with a moderate lifestyle 25k is doable in BKK, more even in smaller cities or upcountry.

Yes, but young Thais are probably prepared to live 10 to a box-room & sleep on the floor, that's the difference.

You see that in the UK, in some places there are 20 - 30 people (migrants) living in a property that the average Brit family of 4 would live in.

If you're living on very low money anywhere, I can't see the point of being there. As someone else pointed out, being in a relationship here is gonna cost money also.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If a food court sells it for 50bht, you can cook it at home for 10bht, saving 80% of your eating costs.

If a food court sells if for 50bht, then that same food in a US Thai restaurant will cost you 500bht.  So you can move to Thailand and eat at local restaurants, saving 5 to 10 times of your eating costs as compared to the US -- and you don't even need to cook!  :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Same..I thought they were asking how much we spend monthly, not how much we earn. 

I doubt that the survey composers made an error.

Thais are not interested in how much you earn only how much you (are willing to) spend

3 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I apologise to Son ?. Sorry.  But you are referring in your post to lifestyle choices (Criminals) or people who are lucky or come from money (Gravy Train). Not everyone is like that. 

No Somtam this morning BTW. Too much caffeine. 

No, what I'm essentially saying is in Thailand you pretty much have 2 types of 'expats' IMO, the 9-5 er's who make between say 20- 100k a month and the crim's who make whatever while seemingly not doing much. Where are the expats who make say 100 - 500k a month in Thailand, as say you would have in HK or Sing?

Then there are the offshore workers, but I would exclude them as they don't work here or live here full time.

With the other scenario, ie the gravy train money, they could be living anywhere, but as I said even they can be frugle (sp) as worry it may run out one day.

I could live quite a good life here on just about 25k, hell my rent for a 3 bedroom house is 5000, but I live a much more comfortable on about 35k, as I like to save for those years when I blow it out on travel, good luck to those spending more, I just believe in not throwing it away and trying to teach the G/F the same and her daughter.

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

The elephant in the room is health insurance.Once over 70 seems impossible to get cover.If I'm wrong please tell me

This forum is completely OBSESSED with health insurance. When I'm out and about I very rarely hear this talked about but on here it gets done to death on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

I resent this comment. Its sour grapes.

I am not a criminal.

I have not had massive stock investments or real estate deals.

I don't have a state pension either.

Maybe if you worked hard and stopped pissing it up against the wall you might have enough money and decent income to last you through your old age living in Thailand.

Life is full of choices and people make the wrong ones. The problem is that most people live for today and forget about tomorrow and then complain about the people who have done that. I chose not to go down the party 24/7 route. Work hard and plan properly. I have had no gravy train either. Make wise choices. Simple as that.

If your an Australian and are receiving the aged pension, living long term in Thailand and it is your only income this will be about Bt 45,000 per month.  Not a lot but those I know on this pension seem to be OK and usually have a Thai girlfriend.  The retirement visa for a price can be obtained.  Just look on google for a very reputable Thai legal firm who will make it all happen.  The price is about Bt25,000.

3 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

Thais are not interested in how much you earn only how much you (are willing to) spend

Yes, they start with latter but as they're not stupid, eventually they'll start thinking about the former...

What an irritating article.

The original survey should be clearly come with the following warning:

WARNING

‘An anonymous online survey of a fraction of Thai Visa readers who like to answer surveys’.

‘Please note that as the sample was unstructured (without any attempt to gather statistically relevant numbers of respondents according to different socio-economic factors) any ‘results’ reported here are not even representative of all ThaiVisa readers, let alone of all expats living in Thailand.’

The reporting of the ‘results’ in this and the previous article is farcical. Whoever has put together the survey and interpretation clearly has no grounding in market research or statistical analysis (I do).

The survey, if I remember correctly, asked respondents to indicate their monthly BUDGET. That means, I presume, the sum that they plan to spend on average per month. This has very little to do with either income or net worth.

Yet this article erroneously states:

In the far ranging survey of a respectable 1,429 expats in the kingdom respondents were asked to reveal their monthly income…. Many of these may be earning less as the parameter was 25-45K… Roughly half of the respondents earn over 65,000 baht and many a lot more.

These statements are flat out lies and are extremely misleading.

As there are no correlations made adjusting or discussing age, or marital status, or earning or retired (all highly significant when talking about budget), the ‘results’ are rendered even less meaningful.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just to be clear this is about spending money.. not about income. I try to save money not spend all that I have. I can save quite a lot here and 40-45 covers the basics.

I budget 45,000 baht a month (I usually live comfortably on 30,000 baht, but keep 15,000 baht handy, in case I get scammed or mugged by the locals, or framed by crooked officials), so there no need to complain Thailand! ? 

Mind you, I don't fork out thousands for 'sick buffalo' in Isarn, scams involving jet skis, or Thailand's infamous flesh trade. Otherwise my monthly expenses would be much higher! Thank you, Thai readers for your understanding! 

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Another intellectually stimulating article about money, dosh, moola, coin, fat stacks, scratch, dough, cabbage, cheddar, dead presidents, dinero.   Been broke once in my 30 years living in Asia.  I know how it feels.  I also know the only way out is through education and effort.   The struggle is interesting worthy of prose, laughs, tears.  The struggle, though hard, is a great intellectually driven adventure.  One you never forget.  The counting money is not something you can tell your friends.  That is boring and in bad taste.   The journey is important.  I wish those who are with little means the best of luck. 

education and work.  I agree.  I have been broke, jobless and homeless, after 40 years of hard work even my family abandoned me even though I had never cost them a dime, never did anything illegal, etc.  Oh well.  I survived it, put my nose back to the grind stone, worked hard and long, arguably got one big break on a long term contract and I took advantage of that and socked the bucks away so that now the investments pay nice dividends and interest.  I remember after my first trip to Thailand my desire to be able to live there should I choose.  I looked up the retirement income required (65,000) baht or about 2,000 USD per month.  That became my near term goal.  A few years later I remember checking my portfolio and saw I was getting 24,000 a year, or 2,000 a month.  It felt so good.  Then a few more years and I passed, 3,000 a month, then 4,000 a month.  Now the monies feed on themselves and there it is very reasonable to believe I can live quite comfortably on that, and I am not even counting this year's and then the upcoming future Social Security.

I really was down and out.  Had been just plain stupid, but I always had an idea and a plan.  And I was lucky I had my BS and MS behind me and my Air Force experience, so with a little luck I was able to move forward and get work.   What did Ben Franklin allegedly say:  "If you think getting an education is expensive, you should try not getting an education and then you will see how expensive that is"

I think the survey numbers are reasonably accurate.  But what they don't tell is how many of those people are really long term livers in Thailand.  I mean, many could be low level young english teachers just giving things a go, or things like that.  They are not retirees per se.

and the survey doesn't really talk about what the farangs do for basics.  Do they carry good health insurance, or are some young and still covered by their parent's back home.  Things like that.  I know people can live and exists on 45,000 a month, but at what cost?  What are they giving up or not having?  Living with a room mate in a small studio apartment?  Nothing wrong with a room mate, just saying take the survey results with a grain of salt

11 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

The elephant in the room is health insurance.Once over 70 seems impossible to get cover.If I'm wrong please tell me

Axa Assudis expatts insurance has a insurance with a moderate 12500 euro  cover (for 450 euro a year ) , BUT also included a repatriation option , so your home country takes over your problem.....

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed, I'm always surprised at the number of western adults that can't cook, then complain about restaurant prices and junk food.

If a food court sells it for 50bht, you can cook it at home for 10bht, saving 80% of your eating costs.

actually we find it a lot cheaper to eat out, we cant cook meals for the prices they charge. By the time you buy the meat and vegetables(unless you buy 1 very small piece of meat, 1 small carrot etc) it already costs  what you pay going out, then there is the preparation time, etc etc, we both cook when we need/want to but with the low prices to eat out it is more convenient to do so. Going out to eat there is no waste either, if you want to eat the same thing every day then it can work out cheaper but not by a lot when you add in gas, spices etc that are needed, we find it a lot easier to jump on the bike and go down the road for really nice meals at very low prices. To be honest I cant think of any western friends that dont know how to cook but then none of them are under 30

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

Me and the wife could easily live on 45K if we wanted/needed to.  But I figure about 120K to have more fun.

I am sure 240 K would even be double fun ,endless comparing so....?

im in the 23%!!! proud of it. own houses, land and cars, bikes, every latest tech gadget possible, etc... we like to cook in our household and dont drink so its realistic and by no means poor. who wants to spend more on bad service, food poisoning and scams?... after all visa costs, family travels etc all which are necessary isnt tallied in to the %. Its just an average of monthly living expenses.

best to pretend to be poor anyway unless you have problems with officials and police....

at the end of the day i feel spending more wouldnt be ethical. you pay for what you get. lees or more?? same, same...

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

actually we find it a lot cheaper to eat out, we cant cook meals for the prices they charge. By the time you buy the meat and vegetables(unless you buy 1 very small piece of meat, 1 small carrot etc) it already costs  what you pay going out, then there is the preparation time, etc etc, we both cook when we need/want to but with the low prices to eat out it is more convenient to do so. Going out to eat there is no waste either, if you want to eat the same thing every day then it can work out cheaper but not by a lot when you add in gas, spices etc that are needed, we find it a lot easier to jump on the bike and go down the road for really nice meals at very low prices. To be honest I cant think of any western friends that dont know how to cook but then none of them are under 30

Buy a freezer.

47 minutes ago, ravip said:

"...have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars."

It's unbelievable such people leave all that at home and come to suffer in a terrible, undeveloped, xenophobic, racist, dangerous 3rd world country.

There seems to be a lot of trash been thrown around about the 'well to do' expatriates in Thailand. Absolute thrash.

Like I said before many men retiring to Thailand are seeking a MBR  (Mutually Beneficial Relationship).  We do know that the best thing in life are free but you can pay for them if you like.  Mostly works in Thailand.  Usually not so good in the West.

53 minutes ago, ravip said:

"...have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars."

It's unbelievable such people leave all that at home and come to suffer in a terrible, undeveloped, xenophobic, racist, dangerous 3rd world country.

There seems to be a lot of trash been thrown around about the 'well to do' expatriates in Thailand. Absolute thrash.

I think you may be surprised.  Many millionaires got there because they are frugal or spend efficiently.  Some millionaires may not have a lot of cash flow but own property that has fairly large net equity value should they sell, so until that time, they spend within their means.  I am a single millionaire, that with my stuff invested in pure stocks, ETF, bond funds, etc.  earn over 5% a year.  I live fairly cheaply in the USA, having always owned my car, don't have any debts, no credit card balances, no loans etc.  And those monies will stay in the USA and I will withdraw and use the monthly passive income starting, well, maybe this year.  I personally knew several Brits when I used to hang in Pattaya a lot that controlled fairly large property investments back home.  One fellow had a chain of old folks care homes.  I know his lifestyle in Pats and besides some rather large Bar bills, he did not spend nor need to spend too much in Thailand

Thailand is cheap until you factor in things such as like for like health insurance. Yes, if you stay in Blighty (UK) then very likely you won't live the high life.  You will however benefit from a social welfare system that would cost a great deal if self financed, as it has to be in Thailand.

So it's rather precarious to be in Thailand on under 40000 baht per month or without the back up of considerable savings if needed.  

I actually think 30,000 per month is quite dosble if you plan to be out here for a few months or maybe a couple of years. If you have to work to get that... well you're on the treadmill for sure.

Everyone has different standards and different ideas about "quality of life".

Some people apparently think that if you aren't renting a condo for 20k a month, dining in restaurants everyday and going to go-go bars 5 nights a week then you must be "struggling to get by".

Also, learn the difference between "spending" and "earning". They are not even close to the same meaning.
"Almost a quarter (23%) were said to be trying to get by on less than 45,000 baht a month. Many of these may be earning less as the parameter was 25-45K."
"Roughly half of the respondents earn over 65,000 baht and many a lot more."

The amount I earn every month and the amount I spend are two different things.

According to the OP, I'm must be "trying to survive" because I'm not spending over 25,000 a month.
****, the only way I could spend more is if I started eating at restaurants everyday and ringing the bell at different bars every night. I spend 2,500 baht a week buying food as it is and my freezer is full, the fridge is full, the shelves are full. I have medical insurance, Class 1 insurance on the Harley as well as the mandatory insurance and another accident policy specifically for motorcycle accidents. I have the best cable and internet packages I can get (currently). Oh, I only run the air-con at night when I'm sleeping so that must mean I'm "barely surviving" (despite a monthly electricity bill of +/- 3,000 baht). 
And when the weather is nice I like to ride around the country and take pictures of ancient sites. When the weather is crappy I stay home and relax. 

"Struggling to get by" ? Hardly. 

How can I renew my Visa every year ? Well, considering it costs 1,900 baht to renew my Extension of Stay, I'd say it's not that hard, even if you are only spending less than 45,000 baht a month. Sheesh, add another 3,800 for the Multi Re-entry permit I get every year and the total works out to less than 500 baht a month.

Just because someone isn't spending like a drunken sailor every night doesn't mean they are "struggling" to get by. 

Archived