What do working class Thais really earn

On 8/11/2018 at 3:10 AM, sanemax said:

Its not a very appealing job though is it ?

Standing in the sun all day with exhaust fumes constantly being breathed in and walking up and down traffic banging on car windows

Maybe good money , but horrible work

I doubt it's even good money and suspect the figure quoted is on a good day which is not the norm.

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I doubt it's even good money and suspect the figure quoted is on a good day which is not the norm.

Also, did he mean that the figure was profit , or how much they received (without the costs of the doughnuts) ?

On 8/11/2018 at 3:10 AM, sanemax said:

Its not a very appealing job though is it ?

Standing in the sun all day with exhaust fumes constantly being breathed in and walking up and down traffic banging on car windows

Maybe good money , but horrible work

If you haven’t got an education, it’s good money for thais.. a husband and wife team work there and together get well over 30,000 baht a month, more than a pensioner gets. So anyone scoffs at that they can do one.

rice workers get nowhere near that, and they work long days, her staff only work mornings (3 hours), and then 3 hours in the afternoon. Peak times.

So all the ones saying it’s not appealing, should understand these people don’t have Masters degrees..

if I was to say she clears 5,000 net profit on a bad day herself, and 10,000 on a good day, I don’t really care what the moaners think...

On 8/11/2018 at 2:05 AM, lkn said:

Are you saying that the Thais your wife employs are on a commission and on a good day they can make 580-600 baht if they stand at the traffic lights (outside)?

They probably don’t return because it’s simply not worth it. When you factor in rest days, vacation, health care, etc. then they are at best on minimum wage, so a job at 7-Eleven would probably be more attractive, as at least then they have A/C and don’t have to hustle strangers to make a commission.

It’s twice the minimum wage.. for two 3 hour shifts, 6 hours a day as opposed to 12 in the factories for LESS money.

”factor in vacations/healthcare?”  are you serious? So tell me, if a 300 a day worker ‘factors’ in vacations and healthcare, what are they left with? These are not scientists you know, they are minimal educated people... they don’t normally look at vacation brochures, and pay BUPA for their healthcare.. wake up.

Edited by Scooby and Puppy
Didn’t read right

A construction worker in the lower northeast from 230 to 350 baht per day. ( Up to 12 hours) Sisaket has the lowest minimum wages!

7 Eleven- 6 days week 8,000 - 12,000 ( with some overtime)

Farmer: Not measurable, nearly nil, perhaps 500 baht per month from the government if he/she doesn't have land. 

1 hour ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

”factor in vacations/healthcare?”  are you serious? So tell me, if a 300 a day worker ‘factors’ in vacations and healthcare […]

The minimum wage in Chiang Mai is 320 baht/day or 9,600 baht/month (for people on fixed salary), which is for 8 hours per day with one weekly rest day, vacation on 13 public holidays, and additional 6 paid days of leave per year. If the worker works beyond that, they are entitled to overtime payment. Additionally 10% of their salary is paid into a social security fund where it is customary for the employer to pay half, so gross salary would be something like 10,080 baht with roughly 24 days of active work, so a commision based scheme with no employer paid healthcare should yield an average daily profit of at least 415 baht to be competitive, so I don’t see how you can say your wife’s employees get twice the minimum wage.

But having read your last comment, I’m sure the pay is good and your (wife’s) workers are leaving because you show such disdain for them.

Local laborers here in Chiang Mai 400 baht/day. Concrete, metal, brickwork, render. Some one more skilled pulls 500 baht/day. Myanmar in the nearby shanty hut about 200 baht/day for the ladies helping on the construction site, low skilled men about 250-300 baht/day. Carrying stuff, mixing concrete, etc.

Cousin is a manager at Watsons. Makes 35,000 baht/month. She's the store manager. Another cousin works at one of the major banks as a teller. 42,000 baht/month but she's been there a while.

My wife was administrator for the flying club here a few years ago. She made 18,000 baht/month.

We pay our gardener/handyman 400 baht/day. He fixes the fences, paints, cuts back tress, cleans the land, etc.

22 hours ago, lkn said:

The minimum wage in Chiang Mai is 320 baht/day or 9,600 baht/month (for people on fixed salary), which is for 8 hours per day with one weekly rest day, vacation on 13 public holidays, and additional 6 paid days of leave per year. If the worker works beyond that, they are entitled to overtime payment. Additionally 10% of their salary is paid into a social security fund where it is customary for the employer to pay half, so gross salary would be something like 10,080 baht with roughly 24 days of active work, so a commision based scheme with no employer paid healthcare should yield an average daily profit of at least 415 baht to be competitive, so I don’t see how you can say your wife’s employees get twice the minimum wage.

But having read your last comment, I’m sure the pay is good and your (wife’s) workers are leaving because you show such disdain for them.

I have never even met them, I show nothing to them. It’s just my observation from what I am told. It has absolutely zero, nada, to do with me. They are Thai, she is Thai, up to them/her what they do. I have no input whatsoever, So you, as a farang can spout off at me, telling me that I show disdain to people I have never seen before?  How stupid do you feel right now for having a pop at me, like I make the rules in a thai business?  I am just passing on what my wife tells me.

so where in ‘my last comment’ did I show disdain to my wife’s staff anyway? She pays them reasonably well for a lot less hours than in a factory, half the hours in fact... do the math yourself.

Edited by Scooby and Puppy
Added text

On 8/7/2018 at 1:09 PM, Rally123 said:

What/who is 'working class'? 4 women live up from me. They spend all day laying in hammocks never doing an ounce of work. Are they 'working class'?

Yes, it's obvious that many posters are behind the times and don't recognise the fourth class, the bludger class.  There are several of this class, young males, in my village. Certainly not restricted to Thailand though.  I would put my grand daughter and her partner in that category back in Oz.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:49 PM, HHTel said:

Yes, her English is perfect.  She's half Thai half Singaporean whose father died when she was a baby.  Her stepfather is English.  I've known them for years and watched their daughter grow up.  Her school reports were just a column of 4.0's.  Her IQ I would imagine is very high.  I don't really care what people here believe as I know it to be true.

The point I was making, and I hope I have, was that you don't need to come from the privileged classes to be successful in life, although it helps.  The privileged classes often spawn uneducated 'twits'.  Now let's see.  I wonder what Red Bull 'Boss' is qualified in. Although he went to a 40,000 dollar boarding school in the UK, I doubt he learned much.

I've nothing further to say on the subject.  

Thanks for your info.  Perhaps the fact that she has a cleft palate and hair lip and therefore was not so popular amongst her peers gave her the time and incentive to devote to her studies.  Many of the good looking girls rely on their looks to get them through life, with exceptions of course.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:58 AM, nausea said:

ounds about right; interestingly, your example destroys the myth of "lazy" Thais, at least at the working class level. 

Good point about working class level.  I'd like to see a similar analysis of how "hard" the Red Bull heir or the Singha  "let them eat cake" heir worked or works to earn their fortunes.

• 2 months later...