What do working class Thais really earn

9 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I am only using the "quote" function.  I am not "copying and pasting" Only quoting. 

Complain to "ADMIN" if it is  wrong.

ADMIN is the provider, but this is a user operator problem ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Brickbat said:

I met someone who says she is an accountant for a mid size business, HO in Bkk, works 6 days a week, 8am to 6 pm. Says her Salary is 33,000 a month

She's lying.

How do I know?

My daughter is an accountant and works for a large company 5 days a week not 6.

• Confused 3

15 hours ago, Enoon said:

That sounds about right (possibly 10 - 12,000 tops for a small percentage) for those who fit the common idea of "Working Class" (as opposed to just anyone who works for a living).

ie: Head Teachers, Airline Pilots, and Investment Bankers all "work" for a living, but they are not "Working Class".

Some posters do not seem to recognise the......."distinction".

Some posters don't suffer from the particularly British need to clarify people.  Working class??  Are we still in the Victorian era?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAG said:

Let's try and put it into perspective - "poor" or "working class" are more or less synonymous in this country. 

There was a report elsewhere on this forum of 18 workers, being transported to pick fruit being injured when the pick up they were riding in swerved and flipped over. There will be no support or welfare whilst they recover. They will have no savings, not on 300 baht a day. They will be reliant on friends and family. That is the reality. For every data analyst or IT expert on B75000 a month with a pension acruing there will be hundreds if not thousands of people on B7500 a month, whose pension will be B700 a month. 

A very small proportion of people in this country are comparatively well paid. An even smaller (miniscule) proportion are extremely wealthy. Much of that wealth is accrued because they pay the working class, whose labour is instrumental in creating their wealth, a miserable pittance. They keep the working class poor. Very poor. 

And in which country is everyone rich?  Most people are two pay checks away from living on the streets. 

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

On every level!  No matter how may directives come from above, change to student-centred-learning and scrap 'rote' there will never be an improvement in the quality of students leaving school.  I've taught here in both schools and universities and Thai teachers, in general, refuse to change.  The majority should not be teachers at all as they obviously do not enjoy the job but they do like, and demand, respect plus of course the 'power' that comes with the job.  I gave a 2 week course for teachers from all around Thailand.  Out of the class of 40 (they were all so-called 'English Teachers'), there were TWO that I could converse with.

Perhaps you need to improve your English skills or converse in Thai.  You can converse in Thai can't you? 

Edited by tryasimight

Why do foreign  old age pensioners have this need to understand who earns what?  Does it make them feel superior somehow? 

Personally my only interest is what I earn.  I have little interest in what others earn.  I take people at face value, not on what they may or may not earn.  I've met good people with very little and complete <deleted> with a lot.

I guess that is an Australian trait. 

• Like 2

Down in industrialised parts of Thailand factory jobs pay 450 to 700 or more a day depending on hours, skills and overtime.  Which is why we cannot get a housekeeper or live in farm staff with a free house water and power for even 10,000 B a month.  Hard owning a farm when no one wants to work for us.  

In fact if any of you in low wage areas (like described in other posts in this thread) know a single woman of good character with housekeeper and cooking skills please PM me.  We have a job with accommodation mainly as above but if she is bright and hardworking my wife has a new business and would like to help the right deserving person to a better future in a form of partnership opportunity perhaps not available in (the woman's) home environment.

Edited by The Deerhunter

16 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

And in which country is everyone rich?  Most people are two pay checks away from living on the streets. 

With respect, that is not my point.

A specific question was asked, I felt that I could offer a relevant answer. From making that answer I observed and then joined a discussion, of which discussion the post on which you comment was part.

I suppose another way of making my point is to suggest that in Thailand the gulf between the wealthy and comfortable and the poor and insecure is more exaggerated than in many.

21 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Perhaps you need to improve your English skills or converse in Thai.  You can converse in Thai can't you? 

There is nothing inherently wrong with my English skills.  Yes, I can converse in Thai but to a limited extent.

The whole purpose of this course was to hone the English skills of the assembled 'English teachers'.  I should not have needed to speak Thai at all!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Down in industrialised parts of Thailand factory jobs pay 450 to 700 or more a day depending on hours, skills and overtime.  Which is why we cannot get a housekeeper or live in farm staff with a free house water and power for even 10,000 B a month.  Hard owning a farm when no one wants to work for you.

You'll get plenty of people willing to work for you if you offer an attractive wage.  Obviously 10k is insufficient to attract staff. Supply and demand.  Every "farmer" knows this. 

18 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

You'll get plenty of people willing to work for you if you offer an attractive wage.  Obviously 10k is insufficient to attract staff. Supply and demand.  Every "farmer" knows this. 

Thanks for the obvious solution to our situation.  Sounds just that simple, doesn't it?  

Another interesting post might be what do average farmers get for their produce?  Suddenly that would explain to you why we cannot pay 18,000 baht or more a month when we are selling the same produce against people who get workers for 4000 baht a month  Every person with "business experience" understands this!!!!  It is a whole different world running a farm in a high wage area in LOS. That is why we are having to diversify.  See my edit to my original post.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, HHTel said:

You know I'm not absolutely sure.  I think she has a degree in economics but I may be wrong.

She turned down the offer of working full time in favour of working freelance and picking up a high fee per day.  I know she was doing stuff for them at weekends whilst at uni and was picking up around 30k for a weekend's work.

Because she's doing so well so quickly, she's turned down scholarships in the US and Europe.  Her parents have already been offered 1st class travel to anywhere in the world.   Wish she was my daughter!

I'm curious myself now.  I'm going to ask her exactly what she does.  

this is salary for experts in a field who are consultants with huge experience.  I doubt someone coming out of University will make this salary.   maybe you should get more precise information of what does she offer as service.  I don't believe this.

2 hours ago, tryasimight said:

It's near impossible to get British fruit pickers in the UK.  These jobs are hard and pay modestly.  I guess social life must also come in to it as well.

6 minutes ago, Petchou said:

this is salary for experts in a field who are consultants with huge experience.  I doubt someone coming out of University will make this salary.   maybe you should get more precise information of what does she offer as service.  I don't believe this.

Look back.  I've already posted the precise information.  Believe what you like.  I know it to be true.

41 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Look back.  I've already posted the precise information.  Believe what you like.  I know it to be true.

I can understand why people question the 45k a day for a recent graduate, not doing anything special, some accounting and project management. Thats $1,500 dollars a day, I know people in Australia doing similar, with years of experience etc, and getting no were near those wages.

A quick peruse of the Thai airways website shows lots of international press events etc, signing an agreement in France, accepting an award in UK etc, every event has the Thai pretties in the photos, in Thai dress etc. Is it possible this is the role that pays 45k a day, Modeling, brand representative etc and the job includes the costing and project management of the event.

I imagine its maybe cheaper for Thai airways to hire an "accountant/project manager" and use them as models, than it is to hire international models.

image.png.4dfde6cba87189a9a875d373ce9d62ff.png

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/news/news_announcement/news_detail/skytrax2018.page?

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

every event has the Thai pretties in the photos

I wouldn't pay to have sex with any of them.

Your definition of 'pretties' clearly isn't the same as mine.

These are 'pretties' IMHO.

37835221_2141949846093983_7345987783904722944_n.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Average wage classified by occupation (2018, Q1)

1. Legislator, senior officials and managers: 30,400.23
2. Professionals: 27,108.65
3. Technicians and associate professionals: 20,964.34
Clerks:    15,294.76
5. Service workers, shop and market sales workers: 11,629.49
6. Skilled agricultural and fishery workers: 5,819.51
7. Craftsmen and related trades workers: 10,479.65
8. Plant and machine operators and assemblers: 10,687.74
9. Elementary occupations: 7,358.13
10. Workers not included elsewhere: 20,840.86

Total: 13,721.14

Source: http://www2.bot.or.th/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=667&language=ENG

This webpage is very interesting too: http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=labor_costs

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Some posters don't suffer from the particularly British need to clarify people.  Working class??  Are we still in the Victorian era?

Working class, people without formal education, usually working in manual labour, farming, and industry.

Middle class, management and people with degrees or higher qualifications.

Upper class, those born into the aristocracy

Hope this helps, the definition is freely available in dictionaries and wiki.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wouldn't pay to have sex with any of them.

Your definition of 'pretties' clearly isn't the same as mine.

I cant recall asking, a little off topic maybe. Thai pretties is a generic term for models/spokesperson etc, not meaning I personally think they are or are not pretty.

48 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I can understand why people question the 45k a day for a recent graduate, not doing anything special, some accounting and project management. Thats $1,500 dollars a day, I know people in Australia doing similar, with years of experience etc, and getting no were near those wages.

A quick peruse of the Thai airways website shows lots of international press events etc, signing an agreement in France, accepting an award in UK etc, every event has the Thai pretties in the photos, in Thai dress etc. Is it possible this is the role that pays 45k a day, Modeling, brand representative etc and the job includes the costing and project management of the event.

I imagine its maybe cheaper for Thai airways to hire an "accountant/project manager" and use them as models, than it is to hire international models.

image.png.4dfde6cba87189a9a875d373ce9d62ff.png

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/news/news_announcement/news_detail/skytrax2018.page?

I don't want to say too much about this girl.  Enough to say she was born with a cleft palate and hair lip.  She's a lovely girl but not one of the 'pretties'.  She has worked with Thai Airways for a couple of years whilst she was at university.  They are offering stupid incentives to persuade her to join them full time but she has other ambitions.  What she lacks in beauty she has more than made up for.   

• Like 2

Stop bickering about what is working class.  The guy posted some info with education and salary and you can toss those numbers out of your overall thread average if you wish but I find it beneficial data. 

Hard to believe 45,000/day.  Maybe its 4500/day  but fir sure a special case.  Is her English perfect?

Govt Teachers and directors w masters 45+ in age  45-55k

Receptionist 17 years 20 k in BKK

Pastry chef, all around helper at massive BKK hotel.  Works 50-70 hrs/ wk. Work schedule  made only days in advance.  Many 16 hr shifts.  All shifts! They have a room to use for showers and a nap.  Basically breakdown and sets up for the next days events. Hotel has umpteen event rooms that are flexible in size.

Tables, chairs, linens, moved to new configuration and fancy foods set out and served.    Free meals.  Salaried position 10 k base pay, 18k total with over time.  But not payed 1.5 x or 2 x for overtime.  When are these people going to rise up and get their share?  

but I find crazy as how can some of these big hotels charge Western prices when their labor costs are three hundred baht a day for the room attendants and Clerks? I talked to one laundry lady at a hotel and she makes 350 baht a day but this hotel charge is 70 baht per shirt.  

• Like 1

My Thai neighbor;

48 years old male

Works in a car repair/fixup shop, after cars have crashed (plenty to do after new year and songkran).

10-15 people employed there.

My neighbor does the spray painting of the cars.

Works Monday-Saturday, 0800-1700 (1 hour paid lunch break), 300 baht / day (10 000/month).

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Stop bickering about what is working class.  The guy posted some info with education and salary and you can toss those numbers out of your overall thread average if you wish but I find it beneficial data. 

Hard to believe 45,000/day.  Maybe its 4500/day  but fir sure a special case.  Is her English perfect?

Yes, her English is perfect.  She's half Thai half Singaporean whose father died when she was a baby.  Her stepfather is English.  I've known them for years and watched their daughter grow up.  Her school reports were just a column of 4.0's.  Her IQ I would imagine is very high.  I don't really care what people here believe as I know it to be true.

The point I was making, and I hope I have, was that you don't need to come from the privileged classes to be successful in life, although it helps.  The privileged classes often spawn uneducated 'twits'.  Now let's see.  I wonder what Red Bull 'Boss' is qualified in. Although he went to a 40,000 dollar boarding school in the UK, I doubt he learned much.

I've nothing further to say on the subject.  

21 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Yes, her English is perfect.  She's half Thai half Singaporean whose father died when she was a baby.  Her stepfather is English.  I've known them for years and watched their daughter grow up.  Her school reports were just a column of 4.0's.  Her IQ I would imagine is very high.  I don't really care what people here believe as I know it to be true.

The point I was making, and I hope I have, was that you don't need to come from the privileged classes to be successful in life, although it helps.  The privileged classes often spawn uneducated 'twits'.  Now let's see.  I wonder what Red Bull 'Boss' is qualified in. Although he went to a 40,000 dollar boarding school in the UK, I doubt he learned much.

I've nothing further to say on the subject.  

what a mindless comment

what on earth do you know about what knowledge the red bull chap got in UK

I can believe the 45, 000 if she has perfect English! she is more valuable than some old, fat man who only speaks English.  just imagine how viable somebody like this could be for a company whose trying to grow an English-speaking markets and needs to analyze situations on the ground as they negotiate deals.   I know of one Thai American daughter who speaks perfect English and Thai and is making big bucks in USA in drug sales. But I don't know the number.