Phoenix owner fails to meet deadline to salvage the boat

webfact

Phoenix owner fails to meet deadline to salvage the boat

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__6864952.jpg

PHOTO: Director General of the Marine Department Jirut Wisanjit

The owner of Phoenix has failed to recover their boat, after it sank on July 6 killing 47 Chinese tourists. The boat company will now be sued for salvage expenses estimated to be around 10 million baht.

Director General of the Marine Department Jirut Wisanjit flew down to Phuket from Bangkok to follow up the recovery arrangements for the Phoenix.

The official investigation into alleged official negligence is continuing.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phoenix-owner-fails-to-meet-deadline-to-salvage-the-boat

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-06

29 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

Its a cover up.  To cover up The incompetent handling of this entire mess.

Next we will hear that the pheonix is missing.

Come on. You put the owner in jail. You seized her asset and then you waited a month to say you now need to recover the boat cause the silly owner did not manage it from her dungeon.

Wow.

No, not a cover up, just money making.

Quite a few people are preparing the salvage as we speak.

• Like 1

So the Government  are going to spend 10 Million in taxpayers money,

then try and sue the owner, I think if the owner had the money,they

would try to salvage it themselves,

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

The boat should have been lifted the next day there are bodies inside. Let the families retrieve their loved ones and taken back to China and laid to rest. Who pays for it can be discussed later. Meanwhile in tropical temperature bodies decompose very quickly. The Thai government should have arranged this they have the expertise and of course the money. This is a case of money before morality too busy arguing over money to do the decent thing something that happens far too often in Thailand.

A tragedy occurs and the most furious and ongoing action is money grabbing, and every day another government dept or senior someone orders something to happen about something or other.

What is all this going to achieve? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrDave said:

" The boat company will now be sued for salvage expenses estimated to be around 10 million baht. "

Good luck with that.

The government has probably already confiscated company assets valued well in excess of that figure.

12 hours ago, huuwi said:

can someone film this, realy like to see how it's done.

I can't see any TVF member hanging out near the salvage site in the ocean to film the operation.

I'm sure some of the local English speaking media will cover the story to some extent. See the OP for a link.

52 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The government has probably already confiscated company assets valued well in excess of that figure.

I doubt the company has many assets. Main one probably being the insurance of the boat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I doubt the company has many assets. Main one probably being the insurance of the boat.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge of the industry, Steven. I was just going on matters raised in this article: 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/the-hammer-falls- raids-unveil-money-laundering-safety-lapses-67836.php#fFlw7pVadZmXd4T2.97

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I'll bow to your greater knowledge of the industry, Steven. I was just going on matters raised in this article: 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/the-hammer-falls- raids-unveil-money-laundering-safety-lapses-67836.php#fFlw7pVadZmXd4T2.97

Maybe they have bought some things in her or company name, you never know. I would presume all profits to be taken to China though.

11 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Its going to be a titanic effort to raise this phoenix from its soggy ashes will follow this story religiously until it drops off the radar forever? 

Ashes?

The only difficulty is the depth, divers need special equipment. Once slings and floatation are attached it should be easy to raise the vessel.

28 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

They  do not need to pay salvage unless there is a shipping hazard or pollution, and even then it can be a struggle.

It's polluting.if the insurance pay for the boat it belongs to them.otherwise we could all dump cars out at sea and say it's not mine,it's not a shipping hazard and it's not polluting.plus it needs to come up as part of the investigation into the accident.as we all know everything in Thailand is a struggle.

Edited by happy chappie
Added comment

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Ashes?

The only difficulty is the depth, divers need special equipment. Once slings and floatation are attached it should be easy to raise the vessel.

It could have been done weeks ago already, for 10 million salvage companies would happily sent over one of their ships for a few days.

3 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

Do you have any links?

If you would have looked in the Phuket News forum, you would have found these topics:

Or this topic:

Perhaps you will find your answers there or in some of the other topics posted since this incident occurred.  

On 8/7/2018 at 8:15 AM, stevenl said:

I have to correct this, apparently the boat was not insured.

• Haha 1