Retired airman and his wife win big lottery prize - but the shop claims fraud

webfact

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What's with the selling back to a ticket vendor at a discount price !!!

Why don't they just claim the prize money the legitimate way ??

Fishy....

Selling to a vendor is a legitimate way that simply obviates the need to got through, what some see as, the rigmarole of claiming from the Lottery Office.  Nothing fishy about it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Should have taken the original offer. 

You got greedy, made up a ludicrous story and now have nothing 

Which is more than you deserve. 

Which part of selling for B591,000 is "now having nothing", then?...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The couple sold the winning tickets to another vendor near the Phitsanuloke station for 591,000 baht.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Which part of selling for B591,000 is "now having nothing", then?..

That was to a different lottery ticket seller...

”The couple sold the winning tickets to  another vendor near the station for 591,000 baht”

Always helps to read the whole story...

Edited by Bluespunk
I was correct first time
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"...from memory or what????"

Probably from "what".  And that would be that thing known as modern technology that ensures people don't have to rely on their memory for every important thing and risk being ridiculed on public forums for not making use of it.

You're right.

I totally forgot that every ticket seller enters each ticket and group of tickets sold into their laptop along with a photo of the buyer.

Next time I'll send a friend

(  wearing a false beard and dark glasses ) to buy my tickets.

That'll confuse their high tech memory system.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

So if I buy 5 tickets and win 2,000,000 baht and being a nice guy ( really, blush blush ) and decide to give my mate one ticket and he decides to sell it to the vendor so she gets a bit of money as well he can expect to be accused of fraud because the vendor says he must have taken one ticket from a pack of five because she can remember.

Give me a break.

Edited by overherebc

What is this lottery rubbish. In our country it's all ran by the corporation and no it's or buts tickets are real paid immediately. This country is so corrupt that you just can entrust any if them to do the right thing. What drugs is this vendor on. Jail it asap

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Why on earth an electronic lotto hasn't been implemented is beyond me. It would instantly put an end to crap like this and overpriced tickets.

Because this is Thailand and they thrive on chaos !!

As a non-lotto player, I feel like I don't understand this situation at all, the article could have explained more things, there are a ton of questions that should be answered for people who aren't experts on the technicalities of Thai lotteries that aren't. I thought it was just as simple as having the correct numbers and getting a payout, end of story. Seems to me, based on my limited knowledge and experience of the Thai lotto that there are some rather outrageous things presented here in the article and which are not accompanied with any explanation that I can make out. I don't understand how the payout people have determined the tickets are invalid or fake or whatever. The article doesn't explain that. If tickets aren't accompanied with 13 other tickets then they are no good? Never heard of that before.  Is it that it all boils down to how really anyone's lottery ticket is a rather suspect and pretty questionable item and it's the lotto payout agents word against yours and if you win big you could be charged with fraud or whatever just because the payout people said thats what you did?  And is that how everyone assumes it to be when they buy a ticket? Nonsensical, and the article is rather short on explanation and information.

I'd tend to be biased against the shop, their bit about the prize claimants having three tickets too many or whatever the gripe is, I can't make out what the problem is, seems pretty bizarre and ad hoc, but who knows. Where's the lottery commission on all of this, why are they just letting this go and go on and on like it was some kind of produce market squabble. Seems strange that the police are resolving the dispute. Perhaps 600,000 baht is chump change to them given how much they rake in 24/7/365 from lotto ticket sales, but obviously not to the payout agency or the alleged prize winners or the police.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Electric Lotto? Oldrunner(me) remembers when the unscrutable Ping-Pong balls were used to determine winning number...Thai Government Run....weighted balls (no pun intended) got the desired number for the Mafia. Don't know what they use now as I never buy the da..ed things, too expensive now too.

6 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Why on earth an electronic lotto hasn't been implemented is beyond me. It would instantly put an end to crap like this and overpriced tickets.

Just like 60% of the other jobs in this country - make work.

6 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Something doesn't make sense here, you're damn right. Why would somebody give away 9,000 baht? Where's Dr Watson, Sherlock? 

Like the article said it’s common practice here, a show of appreciation to the Vedor for selling the winning tickets. Like when someone returns your wallet you give them a reward. When a vedor sells tickets they don’t give 3 away by mistake. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Like the article said it’s common practice here, a show of appreciation to the Vedor for selling the winning tickets. Like when someone returns your wallet you give them a reward. When a vedor sells tickets they don’t give 3 away by mistake. 

I agree with you when we call him/her a vendor, okay?

7 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Something doesn't make sense here, you're damn right. Why would somebody give away 9,000 baht? Where's Dr Watson, Sherlock? 

I was told that prices over a certain amount must be claimed in Bangkok.

Also, being in possession of a winning lottery ticket creates white money.

Edited by KKr

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What's with the selling back to a ticket vendor at a discount price !!!

Why don't they just claim the prize money the legitimate way ??

Fishy....

Normal practice for many people, saves all the hassle of red-tape etc in collecting your winnings.

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Why win 600 ,000 baht and sell the winning tickets for less that sounds crazy if I won 2 million I wouldn’t dream of selling the ticket for 1.9 million I would want what I had won . Am I missing something ???

yes you are, read all the posts and you will see the reason why tickets are sold back to vendors.

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Why make a fuss and bicker with the dishonest vendor ? Why not directly go to the lottery institution to claim the prize money ? hum hum....?

The average winner doesn't go all the way to Bkk to collect their winnings as explained a number of times previously in this post. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

So, the lottery vendor is a psychic. Because if the people who claim the win, had not been stealing these specific tickets. Then the vendor would have been buying exactly those 3 tickets.

That´s the only reason I can see with this hysterically idiotic claim.

Further the vendor says the tickets should have been sold in a bigger batch, so why did the venor not follow such rule?

• Like 1

Am I correct, if you have a winning ticket you sell it to someone else, who sells it to someone else and this can happen many many times? If this is the case surely people get caught out as not everyone is a counterfeit expert? Amazing Thailand so much unique behaviour. So 100's of people can say they won from the same number!! 

19 hours ago, edwinchester said:

my sister and brother law have worked for Gtec recently bought up by IGT I think.  But for decades Gtec was the premier software company that deployed state and country lottery systems.  And they have pretty solid on line transaction validation.  But few countries have yet committed to any sort of online election or voting systems.  Online banking, credit cards, and tons of other things are done fairly securely on line.

1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

You dont know about illegal lotteries in Thailand better you ask around !

The post is  about government lottery, what has the underground lottery to do with this discussion. Seems you need to read what my posting was referring to, it's called reading comprehension and understanding