Seems that many Thais don't even know their own defamation law

Mike West

I am not sure whether they are just plain ignorant to the law, or use it as an excuse to scare foreigners, or just both.

A friend of mine owns a bar and he called the cashier a thief and a liar to her face, in his own place of work. They were the only 2 people there at the time, so she calls the cops threatening defamation, so the cops eventually arrive claiming they can take him to jail or a big fine etc unless he apologized and paid her 2000 baht in compensation. Seems pretty stupid to me.

The law is pretty clear to me (pasted below) that it's only defamation when you say these things to a third party, meaning anyone else as opposed to the "victim's" face. 

defamation is defined as whoever imputes anything about another person to a third person in a manner likely to impair the person’s reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others.

56 minutes ago, Mike West said:

I am not sure whether they are just plain ignorant to the law, or use it as an excuse to scare foreigners, or just both.

It's both, and it isn't limited to scaring farangs: they use it to scare Thais too.

Those who hide behind this law really are the most pathetic people imaginable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It's both, and it isn't limited to scaring farangs: they use it to scare Thais too.

Those who hide behind this law really are the most pathetic people imaginable.

Consider all the insults and accusations perpetrated between posters on TV on a daily basis, I`m surprised 99% of the members haven`t been arrested for defamation by now.

• Haha 1

As they were the only two people there at the time so no independent witnesses why didn't your friend counter claim that the cashier had threatened to call the police with these false defamation accusations if he didn't pay her big money and she should be charged with defamation and extortion.

18 hours ago, Mike West said:

he apologized and paid her 2000 baht in compensation

Hard to believe. Still easy pickings for her, probably make a career out of it now.

Hmmm, unless the OP was actually there, I am pretty sure we're missing some key pieces of information.  Did the bar owner threaten the woman?  Physically touched her in an aggressive way?  Do something else besides just mere "defamation?"  I've seen people engage in all manner of verbal insults and the police have never gotten involved.  If the OP is going exclusively by the word of his "friend," I'm sure he didn't get the full story. 

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I've seen people engage in all manner of verbal insults and the police have never gotten involved.

There is no law against calling someone a £$%! and you can insult people here that way from now until doomsday. But there is a law against defaming them. There may also be an added incentive for the police to act about defamation as it may lead to some money changing hands.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2018 at 10:06 AM, Daffy D said:

As they were the only two people there at the time so no independent witnesses why didn't your friend counter claim that the cashier had threatened to call the police with these false defamation accusations if he didn't pay her big money and she should be charged with defamation and extortion.

Hard to believe. Still easy pickings for her, probably make a career out of it now.

cause it's easier to pay the fine and avoid any even worse situation, than wasting time and paying more at the police station. Plus he wasn't too sure what was going on, when his wife said he could go to jail, she came in when the police were already there. So she wasn't to sure what was said to who and where. 

• Like 1

"many Thais don't even know their own defamation law"  I go so far as to say most people of any country don't know their country's  defamation laws. maybe a very basic outline of said law, but most people wouldn't have the need to know.

On 8/15/2018 at 8:09 AM, malt25 said:

"many Thais don't even know their own defamation law"  I go so far as to say most people of any country don't know their country's  defamation laws. maybe a very basic outline of said law, but most people wouldn't have the need to know.

Though I would expect a lieutenant in the Royal Thai police force to know them. I was told the officer who said he could go to jail was a lieutenant.