Thai Visa declined for too many visits

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

You didn't follow the thread.

The original comment was;

To make it a certainty get the visa from your home country.

Which is correct.

The statement on that basis; 

That won't help him.

He can still be turned away for spending too much time in Thailand regardless.

is incorrect.

Turned away "where" is not specified.  I assume, now, you meant at his home-consulate applying for the visa.  Some Thai consulates reject applications for Visas from citizens of their host-countries frequently - but I don't recall many reports from that location, and none rejected on that basis - so I agree that would be unlikely.

I was referring to the potential for rejection when he arrives - unlikely but possible, at some entry-points.

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Turned away "where" is not specified.  I assume, now, you meant at his home-consulate applying for the visa.  Some Thai consulates reject applications for Visas from citizens of their host-countries frequently - but I don't recall many reports from that location, and none rejected on that basis - so I agree that would be unlikely.

I was referring to the potential for rejection when he arrives - unlikely but possible, at some entry-points.

Again, you don't seem to be following...

The suggestion was that if you don't want to have issues, then Visas issued from your host country are a more reliable indicator of a legitimate traveller, than multiple visas issued from countries around Thailand.

You can have as many Tourist Visas issued from your home country as you like. But doing that from countries surrounding Thailand will open you to scrutiny.

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The statement is not incorrect.

Even if someone is issued a visa (from wherever) it doesn't mean they will be given entry to the country. An IO can still deny entry with just cause.

Don't be silly. Of course the statement is incorrect.

The statement; 

That won't help him.

is wrong.

The implication that having visas from his home country doesn't make a difference to how much time you spend in Thailand is wrong.

There is a big difference between having eight TV per annum from your home country and eight TV from various countries around Thailand per annum, all other things being equal.

9 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

The suggestion was that if you don't want to have issues, then Visas issued from your host country are a more reliable indicator of a legitimate traveller, than multiple visas issued from countries around Thailand.

You can have as many Tourist Visas issued from your home country as you like. But doing that from countries surrounding Thailand will open you to scrutiny.

I am not aware of that policy.  I have seen "denied-entry" reports from those with Tourist-Visas from their home countries.  The IOs who appear to be judging by "legit traveler" (which is not defined in law or ministerial order for Tourist-Visa-based entries) seem to rely on frequency of visits and/or length-of-stay (undefined) as the primary factors, though age and other arbitrary considerations may also play a part.

Edit:  The key for longer-staying and/or frequent travelers avoiding denied-entry is not to attempt entry to the country where arbitrary / non-existent and/or "secret" rules are applied.  Entering with a Tourist Visa (from any consulate) at land-border other than Poipet with 20K Baht worth of cash, is close to 100% assured entry.  Same for visa-exempt if 2 or less per calendar-year.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Don't be silly. Of course the statement is incorrect.

The statement; 

is wrong.

The implication that having visas from his home country doesn't make a difference to how much time you spend in Thailand is wrong.

There is a big difference between having eight TV per annum from your home country and eight TV from various countries around Thailand per annum, all other things being equal.

You don't seem to understand the point being made. It is a fact that an IO can deny entry to anyone regardless of where the visa was issued. 

The main issue is the total time spent in the country as a tourist, not the number or origin of the visa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

You don't seem to understand the point being made. It is a fact that an IO can deny entry to anyone regardless of where the visa was issued. 

The main issue is the total time spent in the country as a tourist, not the number or origin of the visa.

You are wrong. The issue in this case is that so few are from his home country.

40 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

You are wrong. The issue in this case is that so few are from his home country.

You seem to think obtaining a visa in his home country will alleviate the fact that he has

pretty much been living in Thailand for 6 months of the year.

It doesn't matter if he gets his visa from Mars.

IF the IO thinks he is living in Thailand (or any reason really), they can refuse entry.

The point was, that he was spending too much time in Thailand.

Not where he was obtaining his visas from.

Edited by Will27

53 minutes ago, Will27 said:

You seem to think obtaining a visa in his home country will alleviate the fact that he has

pretty much been living in Thailand for 6 months of the year.

It doesn't matter if he gets his visa from Mars.

IF the IO thinks he is living in Thailand (or any reason really), they can refuse entry.

The point was, that he was spending too much time in Thailand.

Not where he was obtaining his visas from.

It makes all of the difference.....and you are wrong.

10 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

What you believe seems logical, and I used to firmly believe that myself. Especially if you return to home country for several months, and then return with a tourist visa from there, one would think you have shown an attachment to your home country that would assuage the concerns of the immigration official. However, there have been reports that any previous period of extended stay in Thailand, even when returning months later, can (although unlikely) result in denied entry. Since there are so few reports of this, it is hard to know what other factors might be involved, but people should be aware that it is possible.

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What you believe seems logical, and I used to firmly believe that myself. Especially if you return to home country for several months, and then return with a tourist visa from there, one would think you have shown an attachment to your home country that would assuage the concerns of the immigration official. However, there have been reports that any previous period of extended stay in Thailand, even when returning months later, can (although unlikely) result in denied entry. Since there are so few reports of this, it is hard to know what other factors might be involved, but people should be aware that it is possible.

I have personal experience, not hearsay.

Perhaps there are other factors involved with the people who claim to have been denied. Perhaps they are not revealing the whole truth. 

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I have personal experience, not hearsay.

i've always felt getting the TV in your home country helps but it isn't a 100% guaranty.  i used visa exempt and TV entries to stay in thailand about 8 months a year for 11 yrs (2006-2016).  i was interviewed at suvarnabhumi about halfway through that period due to all the visa exempt entries, i had never used a TV, just left every 30 days and didn't come back for at least 10 days each time (most were more than a month, returning to home country - USA).  immigration told me to start using TV's.  i got every one at a thai consulate in USA and was never stopped again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buick said:

i've always felt getting the TV in your home country helps but it isn't a 100% guaranty.  i used visa exempt and TV entries to stay in thailand about 8 months a year for 11 yrs (2006-2016).  i was interviewed at suvarnabhumi about halfway through that period due to all the visa exempt entries, i had never used a TV, just left every 30 days and didn't come back for at least 10 days each time (most were more than a month, returning to home country - USA).  immigration told me to start using TV's.  i got every one at a thai consulate in USA and was never stopped again. 

What you have described looks like a 100% success rate for home grown TV. ? Your only issue was due to the amount of Visa Exemptions, according to what you have written.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:35 AM, KneeDeep said:

What you have described looks like a 100% success rate for home grown TV. ? Your only issue was due to the amount of Visa Exemptions, according to what you have written.

that is correct, i did have a 100% success rate using SETV's from home country (alot of them).  but knowing the 'system' here, i was never certain that i would be allowed entry.  and i don't think it is a good idea to assume 100% certainty.  you need to be prepared for an interview for sure.  there are some IO's that are simply 'rogue' and when you meet them, where your SETV's came from doesn't matter all that much.  you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  i think going through the premium lane is an somewhat effective way to avoid the rogue officers.  i've not read of an instance where someone got pulled aside in that area of immigration at suvarnabhumi. 

On 8/8/2018 at 6:49 AM, Will27 said:

That won't help him.

Correct I usually travelled on a 6 month Metv issued in Australia,back in December 2017 at Dom Mueng I was told I will have to return to Australia and will be denied entry as had spent during the previous 12 months 251 days in Thailand apart from departing for 1 day every 2 months,they were of the opinion I was not a genuine tourist and that I needed to be on correct visa being retirement, after pleading  my case with them for over an hour and showing them I had $5,000 cash on me they reluctantly stamped my entry, and have since applied and received my retirement visa ending any frustration of any future interrogation on arrival 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

Correct I usually travelled on a 6 month Metv issued in Australia,back in December 2017 at Dom Mueng I was told I will have to return to Australia and will be denied entry as had spent during the previous 12 months 251 days in Thailand apart from departing for 1 day every 2 months,they were of the opinion I was not a genuine tourist and that I needed to be on correct visa being retirement, after pleading  my case with them for over an hour and showing them I had $5,000 cash on me they reluctantly stamped my entry, and have since applied and received my retirement visa ending any frustration of any future interrogation on arrival 

Yes, I think their "denied" form has a field for "how much money" you had.  165K Baht would not be a good number if later reviewed.  That's enough to easily cover 2 months, so even the more recent denial stamp could not remotely apply in your case.  Maybe 150K Baht is the "new" 20K Baht to be carrying if one dares fly into Bangkok "too often" or stay "too long"?   Those values, of course, being undefined - in one case reported, they counted back beyond a year to get their "too long" number.

Bear in mind, if you entered at any land-border other than Poipet, with only 20K Baht in cash, this event would never have occurred (according to reports for several years).  Only a few checkoints make up non-existent (or secret) restrictions on Tourist-Visa use - unfortunately including both capital-city airports.

I am glad to hear you were old enough to qualify for a visa based on retirement, and that experience did not permanently sour you on Thailand.  I have to wonder how many Thais would not have employment opportunities if you had been denied, and retired with your income somewhere else.

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, I think their "denied" form has a field for "how much money" you had.  165K Baht would not be a good number if later reviewed.  That's enough to easily cover 2 months, so even the more recent denial stamp could not remotely apply in your case.  Maybe 150K Baht is the "new" 20K Baht to be carrying if one dares fly into Bangkok "too often" or stay "too long"?   Those values, of course, being undefined - in one case reported, they counted back beyond a year to get their "too long" number.

Bear in mind, if you entered at any land-border other than Poipet, with only 20K Baht in cash, this event would never have occurred (according to reports for several years).  Only a few checkoints make up non-existent (or secret) restrictions on Tourist-Visa use - unfortunately including both capital-city airports.

I am glad to hear you were old enough to qualify for a visa based on retirement, and that experience did not permanently sour you on Thailand.  I have to wonder how many Thais would not have employment opportunities if you had been denied, and retired with your income somewhere else.

Last paragraph so correct, seeing I spend all of my age pension of 45,000 a month is spent in Thailand Cheers

• Like 1