800,000 baht hypothetical

I'll be coming up for my visa extension in November. Let's say I have 800,000 baht with Bangkok Bank, and 300,000 baht with Kasikorn. I draw down on both accounts for living expenses, and when my extension is due I have 700,000 baht with Bangkok Bank, and 150,000 baht with Kasikorn.

Questions:

1/ Can I combine the two accounts to satisfy the 800,000 baht requirement?

2/ I'm assuming I would need a letter from both banks verifying the balances have met the 3 month seasoning requirement. Is this correct?

To explain - it's a cost thing. Two letters from the banks would cost me 400 baht. An income statutory declaration from my beloved Australian Consulate would cost me 1900 baht.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

To explain - it's a cost thing. Two letters from the banks would cost me 400 baht. An income statutory declaration from my beloved Australian Consulate would cost me 1900 baht.

It should only be 100 baht for each letter.

I use both Bangkok and Kasikorn banks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

It should only be 100 baht for each letter.

I use both Bangkok and Kasikorn banks.

I'm in Chiang Mai, or perhaps it's because I'm a falang. 200 baht every time so far with Bangkok Bank. Haven't asked Kasikorn yet.

On my last application, I had the bank book and the letter from the bank dated the previous day, so they told be I had to go to ATM and get a slip with that days date. First time in ten years, that I had been asked this. Apparently there was a new sheriff in town.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

1/ Can I combine the two accounts to satisfy the 800,000 baht requirement?

As long as the combined total never dipped below 800,000 during the last 3 months, you should have no problem.

Edited by Vacuum

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm in Chiang Mai, or perhaps it's because I'm a falang. 200 baht every time so far with Bangkok Bank. Haven't asked Kasikorn yet.

Relying on memory which can be dangerous, I recall KBank  told me ฿200.

And on that subject, can a part of the 800K be from a fixed deposit account?

Edited by watcharacters

54 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

And on that subject, can a part of the 800K be from a fixed deposit account?

Yes.

Providing the account allows immediate withdrawals, such as Savings and Fixed term accounts, it's acceptable

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter is to confirm it is a real and valid account.

Ok. Beauracracy kills me.  Then how about a letter to prove the letter is real and valid.  He he.  Surely an original bank book trumps a letter head A4 page for safe validity checking. But such it is.  I accept it,  but don't like it.  Like vegetables. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Ok. Beauracracy kills me.  Then how about a letter to prove the letter is real and valid.  He he.  Surely an original bank book trumps a letter head A4 page for safe validity checking. But such it is.  I accept it,  but don't like it.  Like vegetables. 

Tell me about it!

But it wasn't in Thailand. A UK bank was questioning how to 'authenticate' the British Embassy Bangkok's Consular signature on the sworn affidavit issued by the Consular office. I suggested the same way as some Thai Immigration offices do, by getting the MFA to do it. They mulled that one over for a few days before asking how to 'authenticate' the signatory at the MFA?

Bloody jobsworths!

37 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Surely an original bank book trumps a letter head A4 page for safe validity checking.

If a bank book isn't updated for a while then next time it only gets a summary line. No way to tell the minimum daily balance.

11 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

If a bank book isn't updated for a while then next time it only gets a summary line. No way to tell the minimum daily balance.

I've never heard of that.  Which bank do you bank with? What if you tell them you want full details,  even if it means attached papers or god forbid,  a new book. Will they deny you details in your bank book? 

I believe it is possible   what you say,  but easily avoidable even if that's the case. 

12 minutes ago, stud858 said:
28 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

I've never heard of that. 

It happens. The IO wants a copy of the last three months of the bank book PLUS a full 3 months statement printout on paper from bank with letter showing all transactions. Cost me 200THB as well.

1 minute ago, MJKT2014 said:

It happens. The IO wants a copy of the last three months of the bank book PLUS a full 3 months statement printout on paper from bank with letter showing all transactions. Cost me 200THB as well.

So,  is that what the so called letter is,  a detail statement only? If so then fair enough,  but after giving a detailed statement,  however presented (book and or extra pages)  then why an extra letter on top of that?

26 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I've never heard of that.  Which bank do you bank with? What if you tell them you want full details,  even if it means attached papers or god forbid,  a new book. Will they deny you details in your bank book? 

I believe it is possible   what you say,  but easily avoidable even if that's the case. 

All banks do the same. And since the process is fully automated, you can request as much as you like, the result will be the same: one line for total in and one line for total out.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

All banks do the same. And since the process is fully automated, you can request as much as you like, the result will be the same: one line for total in and one line for total out.

Right, so this so called required letter is simply a detailed transaction report. 

I was thinking it was just a worded letter giving authority for use alongside a transaction report. 

Take note of the comment about being told to go to the ATM and give them the slip of your account balance on the day you are trying to extend. I saw a couple of comments on here about that the night before I went to the Domo to extend my retirement visa and I had already obtained the letter from the bank earlier that day. So better to be safe than sorry I went back to the bank the next morning on the way to the domo and got another letter. When I handed Immigration the papers I deliberately put in the letter with the previous days date to see what would happen and they said it has to be dated today. I said “oh sorry wrong letter” and handed them the right letter . I think it very much comes down to who does the checking and if it’s the right time of the month but nevertheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

Why is a letter needed?  Can't officers understand details in a bank book? 

If you have a Savings account and don't regularly update the Passbook, it can leave gaps in transactions.

It will update the balance but that isn't proof the funds didn't drop below the minimum balance in-between.

The passbook machines also can't turn pages.

The letter confirms the amount over a set period and apart from being on letterheaded paper, is also authenticated with the banks stamp.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you have a Savings account and don't regularly update the Passbook, it can leave gaps in transactions.

It will update the balance but that isn't proof the funds didn't drop below the minimum balance in-between.

The passbook machines also can't turn pages.

The letter confirms the amount over a set period and apart from being on letterheaded paper, is also authenticated with the banks stamp.

I really think you are wrong about that. I don't think the bank letters address seasoning in any way!

It also doesn't make any sense. How does the bank know what level you NEED seasoned in the account? Yes, you can use multiple banks and multiple letters. I have had that confirmed directly at immigration.

So by your theory the bank has no idea what level you need with the combination of accounts. 

The banks don't work for immigration. 

Solve the issue of bank books aggregation by updating your book more often. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I really think you are wrong about that. I don't think the bank letters address seasoning in any way! I would happy to be wrong about that, but I don't think so.

Would be good to see an example of the documents,  otherwise I'm waiting a few more years before I actually need to do it and will see for myself whether any unnecessarily doubling up of work and documents is needed.. 

If I see unnecessary steps and items that can be removed or changed to improve things for everyone I'll point them out.  That's the type of chap I am.  I like to see dreams become reality. 

Peace and harmony to all. 

It's much simpler to use one bank but multiple banks are accepted. When you apply using one bank the officer will DEFINITELY examine your bank book copy and note the place in the book where the needed seasoning level was met and then look to see that it never went under. With multiple books, that's much more complicated. If I ever do that, I would prepare a separate sheet showing the combination balances indicating when it hit the number and every movement going forward with the combined balances. That would no kind of official or required document but it's basically doing the work for them, which I think might be appreciated. They can eyeball the books themselves to confirm. 

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's much simpler to use one bank but multiple banks are accepted. When you apply using one bank the officer will DEFINITELY examine your bank book copy and note the place in the book where the needed seasoning level was met and then look to see that it never went under. With multiple books, that's much more complicated. If I ever do that, I would prepare a separate sheet showing the combination balances indicating when it hit the number and every movement going forward with the combined balances. That would no kind of official or required document but it's basically doing the work for them, which I think might be appreciated. They can eyeball the books themselves to confirm. 

It appears that the OP will be drawing down on both accounts so the IO will just have to add the minimum of the two accounts. One account will never go below 700k and the other never go below 150K.

There must be a reason why OP cannot move 100K from K Bank to BBL 3 months before the extension and have 800K in BBL for the extension.

It is true K-Bank would  summarize your transactions  into one sentence if you have not updated your passbook for a while, but not Bangkok Bank.

Edited by Thailand J