800,000 baht hypothetical

Just now, Phuket Man said:

The bank letter shows the amount in the account on the day it is issued.

Nothing more and nothing less.

It is a requirement when applying for an extension when using cash in the bank.

As I thought. I think it's a long standing myth by some (as I've heard that occasionally for many years) that the bank immigration letters confirm seasoning. 

25 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

There must be a reason why OP cannot move 100K from K Bank to BBL 3 months before the extension and have 800K in BBL for the extension.

Actually, no reason. I'm just putting up a hypothetical case. I'm blessed or cursed with an inquiring mind.

24 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

The bank letter shows the amount in the account on the day it is issued.

Nothing more and nothing less.

It is a requirement when applying for an extension when using cash in the bank.

If that's true,  I'm amazed. 

Bank transaction statements will show the same.  It's a double up.  a waste of a piece of paper.

1 hour ago, ozbanglamung said:

Take note of the comment about being told to go to the ATM and give them the slip of your account balance on the day you are trying to extend. I saw a couple of comments on here about that the night before I went to the Domo to extend my retirement visa and I had already obtained the letter from the bank earlier that day. So better to be safe than sorry I went back to the bank the next morning on the way to the domo and got another letter. When I handed Immigration the papers I deliberately put in the letter with the previous days date to see what would happen and they said it has to be dated today. I said “oh sorry wrong letter” and handed them the right letter . I think it very much comes down to who does the checking and if it’s the right time of the month but nevertheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You are making another point in favour of using an agent. I am damn sure the date on the bank letter is 3 - 4 days before the date of extension, because that's when I give the letter to the agent.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Let's say I have 800,000 baht with Bangkok Bank, and 300,000 baht with Kasikorn. I draw down on both accounts for living expenses, and when my extension is due I have 700,000 baht with Bangkok Bank, and 150,000 baht with Kasikorn.

I must be missing something here! 

Why are you debiting BOTH bank accounts?

Why not just keep at least a minimum balance of  800,000 for the whole 3 months seasoning in one bank a/c and use/transfer between banks as required.  The old I/O will be scratching his head to make sure that you never went below a "combined" total of 800,000 on ANY single day during the three months period required while he checks what debited/credited what account with what bank on what date and what were the accumulated balances on every day for the last three months.   

I don't know how many transactions you are talking about but just wait for the IO run around when he/she gets p***ed off with the extra work and says "I need copies of...." Watch that happen for a few days. 

PS;  Since your reasoning seems to have something to do with saving a few hundred Baht the use of an agent to achieve  a smooth path is obviously not an option.

Edited by scottiejohn

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

I must be missing something here! 

Why are you debiting BOTH bank accounts?

Why not just keep at least a minimum balance of  800,000 for the whole 3 months seasoning in one bank a/c and use/transfer between banks as required.  The old I/O will be scratching his head to make sure that you never went below a "combined" total of 800,000 on ANY single day during the three months period required while he checks what debited/credited what account with what bank on what date and what were the accumulated balances on every day for the last three months.   

I don't know how many transactions you are talking about but just wait for the IO run around when he/she gets p***ed off with the extra work and says "I need copies of...." Watch that happen for a few days. 

Refer Post 33. Hypothetical is in the subject title.

• Sad 1

Yes, it's more work for the officer.

But some people have quite reasonable practical reasons why they might need to use multiple accounts.

I agree it's not good to annoy officers, which is why if I did multiple accounts I would prepare a report to give them of combined total balances during the entire seasoning period, showing each and every day where a balance on either account changed. 

Cheers. 

Just now, Lacessit said:

Refer Post 33. Hypothetical is in the subject title.

It's not that hypothetical. This is something immigration will accept. Using multiple accounts to meet the balance and seasoning requirements. Obviously it's simpler to use one account but if you need to use multiple accounts, you can do so. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, it's more work for the officer.

Hence the bigger chance of a hypothetical I/O run around and wasting more of your limited money and also your time and energy.

Hypothetically why would anyone not just open the one account with the 800000 for the 3 months seasoning requirement and use as many other hypothetical accounts to run this myriad of complicated hypothetical transactions and accounts?

Edited by scottiejohn

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

PS;  Since your reasoning seems to have something to do with saving a few hundred Baht the use of an agent to achieve  a smooth path is obviously not an option.

I do use an agent. The saving is 1500 baht by forgoing the income route - I could do the extension either way.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. yes

2.Yes and copies of your updated bank books.

I wouldn't confuse the issue.. have  > 800k in one account... its not worth it..

the checks and questions and paperwork are all random depending more on moods than the "rules"

• Like 1

Hence the bigger chance of a hypothetical I/O run around and wasting more time and energy.

Hypothetically why would anyone not just open the one account with the 800000 for the 3 months seasoning requirement and use as many other hypothetical accounts to run this myriad of complicated hypothetical transactions and accounts?

Again, it's allowed. People have their reasons to it. It's not recommended because it's more complicated but it will be accepted assuming the COMBINED balances are seasoned. Not going to bother with your what if questions. Every individual has their own finances and needing to use multiple accounts is something that happens. End of. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not that hypothetical. This is something immigration will accept. Using multiple accounts to meet the balance and seasoning requirements. Obviously it's simpler to use one account but if you need to use multiple accounts, you can do so. 

And wonder why the noise of the expats waiting behind you grows louder and louder as the I/O gets more and more annoyed.

I suggest KISS.  It costs nothing to open a savings account for your 800000Baht.

1 minute ago, Seeall said:

I wouldn't confuse the issue.. have  > 800k in one account... its not worth it..

the checks and questions and paperwork are all random depending more on moods than the "rules"

It's worth it if that's how you need to do your application. It will be accepted. 

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

And wonder why the noise of the expats waiting behind you grows louder and louder as the I/O gets more and more annoyed.

I suggest KISS.  It costs nothing to open a savings account for your 800000Baht.

Again, there is no way you can know the personal reasons some people might NEED to use multiple accounts. I agree it's better to use one account, but you CAN use multiple ones. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Let's say I have 800,000 baht with Bangkok Bank, and 300,000 baht with Kasikorn. I draw down on both accounts for living expenses, and when my extension is due I have 700,000 baht with Bangkok Bank, and 150,000 baht with Kasikorn.

Questions:

1/ Can I combine the two accounts to satisfy the 800,000 baht requirement?

Yes we all agree you can hypothetically do it, but what is the "hypothetical" point of this apart from wasting everyone's  time?

It's not a waste of time to confirm to people that if for whatever reason of their personal finances they need to use multiple accounts, you can do so. Many of us have multiple Thai bank accounts that we use for different things. I have three. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Again, there is no way you can know the personal reasons some people might NEED to use multiple accounts. I agree it's better to use one account, but you CAN use multiple ones. 

I have multiple accounts.  One is for retirement 800000 and never touched.  OK some might need to use B4 the three months but there is no logical reason why anyone cannot have a stand alone retirement account.

If you exceed your bank's limit on the number of accounts you can hold open at one time, join another bank and open some more accounts. 

The OP's hypothetical question is just pointless.  I say again.  KISS!!

It's a more general issue that comes up from time to time. Can you use multiple accounts to meet the financial requirements including seasoning for annual extensions? YES. 

Of course, also yes, you will need multiple bank letters. 

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not a waste of time to confirm to people that if for whatever reason of their personal finances they need to use multiple accounts, you can do so. Many of us have multiple Thai bank accounts that we use for different things. I have three. 

I totally agree. See my post above. 

What I do not understand is why anyone cannot just open an account and stick their 800000Baht in it for the seasoning period and leave it alone.  They can then have as many other accounts as they want for all their other transactions with as many banks as they want.  They still MUST keep an accumulated and verifiable total of at least 800000Baht in accessible cash in Thai Bank accounts on a daily basis for the seasoning period.  Just one timing Mix up  with inter account/banks  debit and credits and tough sh*t. 

Why would people make life complicated for both themselves and the Thai Officials?

Edited by scottiejohn
spelling!

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's much simpler to use one bank but multiple banks are accepted. When you apply using one bank the officer will DEFINITELY examine your bank book copy and note the place in the book where the needed seasoning level was met and then look to see that it never went under. With multiple books, that's much more complicated. If I ever do that, I would prepare a separate sheet showing the combination balances indicating when it hit the number and every movement going forward with the combined balances. That would no kind of official or required document but it's basically doing the work for them, which I think might be appreciated. They can eyeball the books themselves to confirm. 

It's less a matter of multiple banks than multiple accounts.

A few years ago I had my 800,000 spread across two accounts at Bangkok Bank and one at Siam Commercial. At renewal time the IO at Jomtien complained it was too much work for him, but renewed me anyway. I asked him if in future two accounts would be okay. He said "okay". So that's how I've done it ever since.

1 minute ago, AbeSurd said:

At renewal time the IO at Jomtien complained it was too much work for him, but renewed me anyway. I asked him if in future two accounts would be okay. He said "okay". So that's how I've done it ever since.

That is my point, yes you can but why should you or want/need to.  There are so many alternatives.

It is extra work that the I/O's can do without, including everyone else waiting for their number to be called. The multiple bank a/c holder is taking up very valuable time that other expats want to use to their advantage.

19 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I have multiple accounts.  One is for retirement 800000 and never touched.  OK some might need to use B4 the three months but there is no logical reason why anyone cannot have a stand alone retirement account.

If you exceed your bank's limit on the number of accounts you can hold open at one time, join another bank and open some more accounts. 

The OP's hypothetical question is just pointless.  I say again.  KISS!!

I did that once for marriage extension with 400,000.  Had my bank book, letter from bank.  IO at Chiang Mai wasn't happy, because the bank book didn't show any uptodate balance.  I told her that's because i've not used that bank account, it's just for my visa extension.  lot's of tutting by IO, who said Bangkok immigration might refuse the extension...

They didn't

That is my point, yes you can but why should you or want/need to.  There are so many alternatives.

It is extra work that the I/O's can do without, including everyone else waiting for their number to be called. The multiple bank a/c holder is taking up very valuable time that other expats want to use to their advantage.

It's called not putting all your eggs in one basket. For the amount of money concerned I wouldn't worry in my own country (UK) but I'm more cautious in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Samuel Smith said:

I did that once for marriage extension with 400,000.  Had my bank book, letter from bank.  IO at Chiang Mai wasn't happy, because the bank book didn't show any uptodate balance.  I told her that's because i've not used that bank account, it's just for my visa extension.  lot's of tutting by IO, who said Bangkok immigration might refuse the extension...

They didn't

Always update the bank book when you get the letter.  

My bank does that for me automatically when they print the letter.