Thai Army Chief confident army can handle water situation

webfact

Army Chief confident army can handle water situation

PNEVN610808001001201.jpg

BANGKOK, 9th August 2018, (NNT) - The Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army is confident that the Army can handle the ongoing flood crisis. 

Although Army Chief, General Chalermchai Sittisart has admitted that the water level this year is higher than last year, resulting in the need for more water to be stored at various reservoirs in the Kingdom, which are now at about 70% of their combined capacity.

The volume is about 5,000 million cubic meters higher year-on-year. He said that each dam is releasing water into appropriate buffering zones to maintain the proper level. General Chalermchai is also convinced that the water situation this year will not be as dire as the 2011 floods. 

Meanwhile, the ad-hoc center for handling the ongoing water crisis recently reported that the water level at Nam Oon dam, has reached 85% of its capacity. It said that the inflow to the reservoir has decreased and the outflow has increased to 4.5 million cubic meters per day. The center has already informed residents in Sakon Nakhon, Bueng Kan and Nakhon Phanom about the incoming water from the dam. 

The water level at Vajiralongkorn and Srinakarin Dams have reached 85% and 87% of their capacity with a higher rate of outflow at 43 and 20 million cubic meters a day respectively. The increased volume of outgoing water of both reservoirs is expected to have some impact on resorts along the Khwae Noi river banks.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-09
  • Confused 1

Sounds to me as if we need a shift of personnel from the military to the irrigation departments. Surely the govt needs professionals in all departments. If trained men are needed for the activity of organizing water storage (or its opposite) then put them in the right place and remove them from the overbloated military and hire them in that new capacity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

Sounds to me as if we need a shift of personnel from the military to the irrigation departments. Surely the govt needs professionals in all departments. If trained men are needed for the activity of organizing water storage (or its opposite) then put them in the right place and remove them from the overbloated military and hire them in that new capacity. 

No money, status or power in being a senior irrigation official... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

They have a large supply of waders?

In 2011 the army was real helpful, i know they helped me and countless others who were flooded. So I believe they can help, but if they put better people in charge of the dams and water management they can prevent it.. seems a better option then helping with the after effects of flooding.

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Not long back the PM appointed himself with the responsibility of the management of natural water resources. It is now looking like there is some sort of risk attached to that having that honour.

Could it be that he is palming the job off to the Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army and setting him up to take the blame if things go pear shaped? Surely not!

Must be tough to lay blame now that there are no politicians. Heck, they like to blame Yingluck for floods. 

5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

BANGKOK, 9th August 2018, (NNT) - The Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army is confident that the Army can handle the ongoing flood crisis. 

All they have to do is incarcerate anyone who complains.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Must be tough to lay blame now that there are no politicians. Heck, they like to blame Yingluck for floods. 

With good reason, she messed up kept the dams closed too long. Now if the army does the same they only have themselves to blame. YL came to power 5 august.. now its 9 august and the junta is in control. Lets see if they are any better. 

Those in power are those that should get the blame. Even if you can't fully blame YL for the floods she pulled the same stunt the junta did with saying there would be no flooding and downplaying it.. not giving people the right information. That cost many people in my village a lot of money. Now the junta has cost many people in Petchabun a lot of money same situation.. lying face saving government that thinks "face" is more important then giving out accurate information.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

With good reason, she messed up kept the dams closed too long. Now if the army does the same they only have themselves to blame. YL came to power 5 august.. now its 9 august and the junta is in control. Lets see if they are any better. 

Those in power are those that should get the blame. Even if you can't fully blame YL for the floods she pulled the same stunt the junta did with saying there would be no flooding and downplaying it.. not giving people the right information. That cost many people in my village a lot of money. Now the junta has cost many people in Petchabun a lot of money same situation.. lying face saving government that thinks "face" is more important then giving out accurate information.

She didn't messed up according to the right leaning NACC who dropped that charge against her in September 14 2017. Maybe you should read their conclusion that said " the flooding was the result of natural disasters, as there were several storms smashing the country during the period" The NACC concluded that nobody should be held responsible. Let's agree to put this blame game on her to rest. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

She didn't messed up according to the right leaning NACC who dropped that charge against her in September 14 2017. Maybe you should read their conclusion that said " the flooding was the result of natural disasters, as there were several storms smashing the country during the period" The NACC concluded that nobody should be held responsible. Let's agree to put this blame game on her to rest. 

I said its debatable if she was guilty... but if she is not guilty then neither will the junta be guilty for this. Personally I hold them both responsible. Strange isnt it.. that I condemn the same action similar no matter if they are junta or Shin.

Anyway even if you accept she was not guilty for the flooding she certainly was guilty for the lack of information and downplaying it so causing extra damage to properties. Here we have quite a few people who still hold her responsible for the loss of their cars. It would not have happend if she had been honest. You see exactly the same in Petchabun.. done by the junta. They are just as guilty. So how do you feel about this paragraph.. do you not see how similarly they both messed up causing hardship to the people affected ? I love to see a honest reply here instead of one tinted by your love of the Shins. We all recall YL saying no flooding of BKK nothing.. it did flood. Now junta and Petchabun.. same thing.. both should have known better and not put their image above that of those affected.

Btw you brought YL into this not me. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Although Army Chief, General Chalermchai Sittisart has admitted that the water level this year is higher than last year, resulting in the need for more water to be stored at various reservoirs in the Kingdom, which are now at about 70% of their combined capacity. 

versus

Nam Oon dam, has reached 85% of its capacity

Vajiralongkorn and Srinakarin Dams have reached 85% and 87% of their capacity

Looks like time for spillway releases.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I said its debatable if she was guilty... but if she is not guilty then neither will the junta be guilty for this. Personally I hold them both responsible. Strange isnt it.. that I condemn the same action similar no matter if they are junta or Shin.

Anyway even if you accept she was not guilty for the flooding she certainly was guilty for the lack of information and downplaying it so causing extra damage to properties. Here we have quite a few people who still hold her responsible for the loss of their cars. It would not have happend if she had been honest. You see exactly the same in Petchabun.. done by the junta. They are just as guilty. So how do you feel about this paragraph.. do you not see how similarly they both messed up causing hardship to the people affected ? I love to see a honest reply here instead of one tinted by your love of the Shins. We all recall YL saying no flooding of BKK nothing.. it did flood. Now junta and Petchabun.. same thing.. both should have known better and not put their image above that of those affected.

Btw you brought YL into this not me. 

The NACC has closed her case. You should too. Didn't asked for your opinion either. 

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The NACC has closed her case. You should too. Didn't asked for your opinion either. 

I am not talking about if she caused flooding.. I am talking about how she handled it and gave out information that is totally different. I guess your talent for never wanting to say something bad about the Shins shines again. Then you better stop commenting on the junta too as they are handeling it exactly the same.. and that is badly. 

Your bias is clearly showing.. 2 incidents both handled badly yet you only comment on one.

Edited by robblok

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am not talking about if she caused flooding.. I am talking about how she handled it and gave out information that is totally different. I guess your talent for never wanting to say something bad about the Shins shines again. Then you better stop commenting on the junta too as they are handeling it exactly the same.. and that is badly. 

Your bias is clearly showing.. 2 incidents both handled badly yet you only comment on one.

I see that you are caught offguard about the NACC's verdict. Bet you didn't know until I told you and now you have to digress. That subject to me is closed but the junta's handling is still for the jury. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I see that you are caught offguard about the NACC's verdict. Bet you didn't know until I told you and now you have to digress. That subject to me is closed but the junta's handling is still for the jury. 

Sure Eric, completely similar situations but you comment on how bad the junta is with their information while YL did the same. I never met anyone as bias as you. I think discussion with you is pointless if you can't see the similarities your beyond help.

You either say both are doing a good job or both are doing a bad job with how they give the public information to safe their belongings. My money is on that they both did a bad job.. yours is on... blame the junta.. but never ever the Shins.. I seen it so often it gets boring. 

Mind you the NACC verdict is about handeling the water, NOT about how her goverment communicated about the problems. So its not the way you make it appear to be. 

In the BKK post (NACC verdict)  they are only talking about handeling the water.. not the information.. they did not even look to that.. if you have information that they did then please share.. because what i found was only about the flooding itself. 

Edited by robblok