Danish jeweler brand Pandora cuts 200 jobs in Thailand

webfact

Pandora cuts 200 jobs in Thailand

by Lærke Weensgaard 

Pandora-jewellery-manufacturing4.jpg

Pandora manufactures its jewellery in Thailand

Danish jeweler brand PANDORA will cut 218 jobs in Thailand due to organizational adjustments.

Pandora has announced changes in the company which means 397 employees will lose their job of which 218 in Thailand.

The organizational adjustments will among others happen by centralize operations and supply chain structure to streamline manufacturing and move more resources to priorities such as digital and e-commerce.

“The adjustments are also – together with our procurement program – necessary to protect our profitability. 

Full story: https://scandasia.com/pandora-cuts-200-jobs-in-thailand/

-- ScandAsia 2018-2018-08-09

42 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Translation : we found somewhere cheaper.

This says a lot about Thailand if skilled labour intensive manufacturing is moving out of Thailand.

Your translation  must be better than mine.  I haven't got the slightest idea what the sentence means.

Edited by lanista
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Translation : we found somewhere cheaper.

This says a lot about Thailand if skilled labour intensive manufacturing is moving out of Thailand.

Or they just sell little less jewelry than expected, which is the case, if reading financial news. By the way, the CEO is the first one that looks for another job, he among the 179 less jobs outside Thailand...?

Was the owner of the brand not in the media a couple years ago for his pre-wedding photos with his Thai wife?

They were taken in a rice field, quite stylish, they went viral. His wife was a stunner. I'll try and find:

post-137452-0-33520300-1458705123_thumb.

[Edit] Found it: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/905096-farang-and-thai-love-pics-amidst-the-rice-fields-of-isaan-go-viral-on-facebook/

Edited by Bangkok Ape
Added link

8 hours ago, lanista said:

Your translation  must be better than mine.  I haven't got the slightest idea what the sentence means.

I think it means wages are to high and they will relocate to a lower cost country like Myanmar or Cambodia or Indonesia

4 hours ago, Bangkok Ape said:

Was the owner of the brand not in the media a couple years ago for his pre-wedding photos with his Thai wife?

They were taken in a rice field, quite stylish, they went viral. His wife was a stunner. I'll try and find:

post-137452-0-33520300-1458705123_thumb.

[Edit] Found it: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/905096-farang-and-thai-love-pics-amidst-the-rice-fields-of-isaan-go-viral-on-facebook/

The founder and original owner of Pandora Jewelry is Per Enevoldsen, who started the brand in 1982 together with his Danish girlfriend Winnie Liljeborg, later wife, now divorced. Today Per lives as Buddhist monk in a Thai temple, but he's still worth a billion USD; he use most of his wealth for charity. Winnie Liljeborg also has about 750 million USD. Their common charity is administrated by their company "North-East Family Office".

Per Enevoldsen's and Winnie Liljeborg's son Christian Enevoldsen is likely the "Christian" in above photo and the photos in the link, as he also lives in Thailand with his Thai family.

The Enevoldsens has sold most of their Pandora shares since the company became listed on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange in 2010, at which time Per Enevoldsen resigned from the Bord of Directors. Pandora has two factories – one in Gemopolis Industrial Estate outside Bangkok, and a smaller new one in Chiang Mai – and about 13,000 employees in Thailand, where all their jewelry is made.

?

• Like 2