UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, candide said:

Well, there's not a wide agreement with your diagnostic on each of these issues.

Personally I feel my national identity is well protected in the EU, in particular from powerfull Russian, American or Chinese interference, or even from German interference. Better than if we had to deal with them directly with them.

The threatening comments made by the Chinese about future post-Brexit deals, after British ships patrolled with the US navy, is quite instructive in this perspective.

Are you saying your national identity is defined by your neuroses about  Russian, American and Chinese interference in the affairs of the EU?  I find that illogical and astonishing. 

You seem to not want to define your national identity beyond telling us how frightened you are.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Please go back several pages to the post that you and I were talking about, read them slowly and try to answer the simple question.

If you talk about the pension fund rules, I believe I answered to that already. Please go back several pages... 

10 minutes ago, aright said:

Are you saying your national identity is defined by your neuroses about  Russian, American and Chinese interference in the affairs of the EU?  I find that illogical and astonishing. 

You seem to not want to define your national identity beyond telling us how frightened you are.

I used the word 'protect', not 'define'. 

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Try reading post #4081 and no you didn't answer it.

Eh.. no, I don't really think you should change your pension funds rules, no, not really. Really not no. Not really.

Then again.. stipping off the pensions from people who voted to leave, to cover the costs of Brexit, might be an idea worth investigating.. 

A number of posters here seem to think that everything in the EU is rosy, but Moody's, the credit rating agency, takes a somewhat different view: 

"The next eurozone recession could be even worse as governments and central banks have run out of ammunition to fight a new crisis, credit ratings agency Moody’s has warned.

Governments in Italy, Spain and France have failed to meaningfully cut their debts, while the European Central Bank is still printing money under the quantitative easing (QE) programme.

As a result there will be little room to step in with financial support should the economy slump.

Moreover, countries with weak economies and high levels of unemployment have taken too few steps to reform during the recovery, so they remain uncompetitive."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/10/01/eurozone-has-no-ammunition-fight-next-recession-hits-warns-moodys/

Edited by CharlieH
Oversized txt adjusted
  • Like 2

Off topic removed.

Please keep it civil and dont get personal in your remarks toward others.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

11 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

It is the snide remarks and baying for punitive measures to be taken against the UK that bothers me most. The arrogance and duplicity of it is simply stunning, especially when the events of the last century are taken into consideration, as they should be!

Ok, good, you understand how bothering is it to hear snide remarks of your country or your people. I assume you can then also relate to snide and false remarks like,

EUSSR, unelected EU crooks, EU need us, more than we need them, etc. etc. what we have heard here and even by UK government. 

Here is UK's foreign secretary comparing EU to USSR. That is not speech by an adult and not definitely by a foreign secretary of any country.

Here is UK's MEP at the European parliament, saying lies earlier.

And notice the difference the way EU's Tusk responses. That's an adult response.

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Ok, good, you understand how bothering is it to hear snide remarks of your country or your people. I assume you can then also relate to snide and false remarks like,

EUSSR, unelected EU crooks, EU need us, more than we need them, etc. etc. what we have heard here and even by UK government. 

Here is UK's foreign secretary comparing EU to USSR. That is not speech by an adult and not definitely by a foreign secretary of any country.

Here is UK's MEP at the European parliament, saying lies earlier.

And notice the difference the way EU's Tusk responses. That's an adult response.

Why don't we compare leaders oli. It seems to me you have lost the moral high ground.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why don't we compare leaders oli. It seems to me you have lost the moral high ground.

Junker seems rather friendly after he has dropped in to a barrel of wine. It's also good to notice how EU country leaders are helping him during his difficult times. That's what EU is about. Life and support for us others. ???? 

3 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

The key difference here too is the fact that comparisons between the USSR and EU are totally valid and the people who run the show within the EU are 100% unelected.

And here we go again.. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

And here we go again.. 

Yup!

The truth will out. Even if you'd rather it didn't.

This thread is (or at least should be) about debate surely? Rather than roll your eyes, how about actually providing me with some evidence to the contrary of what I and other informed posters have been stating?

I've seen precious little from you or anyone else from the other side. Just hot air.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 2

I found this on another website about travel between the UK, Eire and the EU.

How accurate it is I have no idea but it seems to be sponsored and run by the Eire government.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

Brexit

The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) will not affect the rights of Irish citizens and UK citizens within the Common Travel Area. The right to live, work and access public services in the Common Travel Area will be protected, regardless of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.

You can read more about the UK leaving the EU in our Guide to Brexit.

http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/en/

2 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Yup!

The truth will out. Even if you'd rather it didn't.

This thread is (or at least should be) about debate surely? Rather than roll your eyes, how about actually providing me with some evidence to the contrary of what I and other informed posters have been stating?

I've seen precious little from you or anyone else from the other side. Just hot air.

The Truth really seems to be out in the wild now. I can not be the only one, seeing Brexit UK more and more like Trump's USA. 

Unfortunately arrogant and utterly impolite. I'm afraid the discussion will become even nastier as the time goes by. That's one of the reasons I wish that there will be a clear cut Brexit as soon as possible. No 2nd referendum, no time extension and no transfer period. Simply a clear cut out.

Related to what James Hunt said, this is one of your, UK's newspaper. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-party-conference-2018-jeremy-hunt-eu-soviet-union-ussr-comparison-brexit-europe-a8563816.html

14 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The Truth really seems to be out in the wild now. I can not be the only one, seeing Brexit UK more and more like Trump's USA. 

Unfortunately arrogant and utterly impolite. I'm afraid the discussion will become even nastier as the time goes by. That's one of the reasons I wish that there will be a clear cut Brexit as soon as possible. No 2nd referendum, no time extension and no transfer period. Simply a clear cut out.

Related to what James Hunt said, this is one of your, UK's newspaper. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-party-conference-2018-jeremy-hunt-eu-soviet-union-ussr-comparison-brexit-europe-a8563816.html

Yeh, there isn't a lot of sense coming out of the Independent anymore, clearly. ????

Plenty of people in the UK and around Europe will feel the same way as the reporter and you do, that's their prerogative and that's fine.  However, plenty also disagree with you, and that's fine too.

I know my history (especially of Europe) well enough to know that the comparisons are totally valid...

I can only hope the debate doesn't descend into further ad hominem, emotionally driven attacks. But as I have already said, that has definitely been the preserve of the Remain side including much of the MSM, who's coverage of Brexit, in particular the interviews of the key figures spearheading it, has been so utterly biased from the beginning that it's cringe-worthy and almost too hard to watch at times.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

40 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

how about actually providing me with some evidence to the contrary of what I and other informed posters have been stating?

When you accuse someone of something, it's up to you to provide evidence for your accusations. What if someone asked you to providing some evidence that you're not a kiddy fiddler? 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I can only hope the debate doesn't descend into further ad hominem, emotionally driven attacks. But as I have already said, that has definitely been the preserve of the Remain side including much of the MSM, who's coverage of Brexit, in particular the interviews of the key figures spearheading it, has been so utterly biased from the beginning that it's cringe-worthy and almost too hard to watch at times.

I can't talk for remainers, but my observation has been that they have been really terrified where UK is heading towards. When people are afraid, people react to it in different ways. Some go in to their cocoons, some fight back as much as they can to protect what they see as home and value a lot. 

What I have seen in UK mainstream media, has been heavily biased towards UK's point of view. The rest of the EU citizens thinks quite differently about EU than what average UK person thinks.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Junker seems rather friendly after he has dropped in to a barrel of wine. It's also good to notice how EU country leaders are helping him during his difficult times. That's what EU is about. Life and support for us others. ???? 

yeah,

a bit like your fellow countryman Tankero

probably the man, together with Kekkonen, that laid the foundation for making it at all possible for Finland

to move towards EU, when the time came (after USSR breakdown)

Edited by melvinmelvin

10 minutes ago, JAG said:

It's the very devil isn't it - all those glasses of sciatica medicine!

Still never mind, as the Guardian reported today, if he gets his way it will never be mentioned again - apparently suggesting that the EU's leader is a pisshead infringes his human rights!

Freedom of the press is here to stay, like it should be. 

I guess many continental Europeans were surprised how uncivilised UK's press and it's audience behaved during these couple of years of separation talks. UK audience might be accustomed to it, but I think it's not the case in most of the European countries. 

I'd say let the page three girls back on newspapers, to let UK folks to feel a bit of love again, instead of this frustrated anger we see today. ????