UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm obviously missing something here as this seems to support the brexit viewpoint?

Not that it matters as it's just a 'blog'.  Even more pointless than 'expert opinion'......

"A leavers view of the UK gov position". Right again!

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm obviously missing something here as this seems to support the brexit viewpoint?

Not that it matters as it's just a 'blog'.  Even more pointless than 'expert opinion'......

hehe

I also noticed that

thought that tebee was probably suffering from an overdose of last week's BN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Grouse said:

"I think I'm corrrect in saying that most leave constituencies voted leave?" For once you are definitely correct there!

Corbyn is a Brexiter as he intends more state support for industry. If he was strongly for remain, as he should be, Brexit would be dead by now. I suppose a big bus might come at exactly the right time!

Sorry, I corrected my post about the same time that you responded - desperately trying to make a point by my obvious mistake.

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Spot on.  By 2050 the world population reaches 10billion

and food becomes a problem.   One child per family,

like the Chinese did, leading to self sufficiency economy,

recommended by Rama 9. 

I expect the Americans will handle most of the population

culling, it is they that made the Georgia Stones.  

I think a Malthusian catastrophe is unlikely. Birth rate drops as economies improve. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

He does support brexit - I don't wholly agree with him, but at least he provides logical arguments for brexit as opposed to most of the nefarious waffling about sovereignty.

However I agree with him that the current deal is a steaming pile of you know what which satisfies no one. It's simply the only possible solution to ending FOM without completely wrecking the British economy -  and by not  completely wrecking the British economy I mean only wrecking half the British economy - our profitable services sector still gets thrown under the bus.

But I completely agree with him that most of our politicians and living in a world that has passed some years ago, and our current systems and goverment are unfit for purpose.

This is especially problematic for the UK. We really did pick an inopportune time to go into a deep political slumber. Rather a lot has happened in the last twenty years which rewrites to book on most of what we know about trade, economics and the world in general. We have been to the brink of financial collapse, we have seen the mass adoption of internet, media has changed, work has changed and we have seen a massive expansion of global governance. Our politics isn't remotely equipped for these challenges.

Hence we get brexit, when we have really no idea how to deal with it. We are heading into a bad compromise, paying lip service to the vote without addressing what is wrong with our society and making everyone's lives worse   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tebee said:

He does support brexit - I don't wholly agree with him, but at least he provides logical arguments for brexit as opposed to most of the nefarious waffling about sovereignty.

However I agree with him that the current deal is a steaming pile of you know what which satisfies no one. It's simply the only possible solution to ending FOM without completely wrecking the British economy -  and by not  completely wrecking the British economy I mean only wrecking half the British economy - our profitable services sector still gets thrown under the bus.

But I completely agree with him that most of our politicians and living in a world that has passed some years ago, and our current systems and goverment are unfit for purpose.

This is especially problematic for the UK. We really did pick an inopportune time to go into a deep political slumber. Rather a lot has happened in the last twenty years which rewrites to book on most of what we know about trade, economics and the world in general. We have been to the brink of financial collapse, we have seen the mass adoption of internet, media has changed, work has changed and we have seen a massive expansion of global governance. Our politics isn't remotely equipped for these challenges.

Hence we get brexit, when we have really no idea how to deal with it. We are heading into a bad compromise, paying lip service to the vote without addressing what is wrong with our society and making everyone's lives worse   

that last paragraph of yours;

will not become easier to sort this after Brexit -- quite a challenge

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I think a Malthusian catastrophe is unlikely. Birth rate drops as economies improve. 

Economic improvement will not affect the majority.

Perhaps you've heard of the UK austerity, in the 5th.

or 6th of the richest countries in the world.

The world birth rate is approx 2.4 per family.

Birth rate drops when food is scarce.

A simple example: When bugs on an isolated petri dish

have consumed the nutrients, reproduced millions

and, oops, reached the edge of the dish.

What happens?   Answer: They are b=ggered.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, vogie said:

I read it where it will take 8 countries (35% of the EU countries/states) to block Mays divorce paper and of of course as you stated Merkel just will not allow that. So not going to happen.

The difficult bit for May will be Parliament, but what MPs say and what MPs do are two different things.

do MPs do? I thought they were limited to say

Oilinki posted something many pages ago about much of the electorate not being happy about the 'open doors' policy - that allows poor eu citizens into the uK. 

Quite right when it comes to eu citizens from poor countries being allowed to automatically enter the country, and keep wages for the poorest as low as possible for uk companies....

He tried to twist this into 'uk people hating/feeling superior' to other nations....

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tebee said:

The Tory minister is a twit.

The art in negotiation should be to convince everyone

thinks that they have the biggest portion of the pie.

so everyone wins. 

Edited by talahtnut
addition
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

I read it where it will take 8 countries (35% of the EU countries/states) to block Mays divorce paper and of of course as you stated Merkel just will not allow that. So not going to happen.

The difficult bit for May will be Parliament, but what MPs say and what MPs do are two different things.

don't fall into that hate Germany Merkel trap

EU members are sovereign

Italy Sweden Finland Hungary Poland Bulgaria and more couldn't care less what Merkel says

she might scare the <deleted> out of Cyprus, Malta  and rest-Yugoslavia.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

The Tory minister is a twit.

The art in negotiation should be to convince everyone

that they have the biggest portion of the pie.

so everyone wins. 

Yes, it seems a bit of a strange argument doesn't it ?

You're going to lose because of brexit, but that's fine, because everyone else is too....

4 hours ago, JAG said:

I'm not sure what it has to do with the discussion at hand, other than a frankly rather pathetic attempt to continue your groundless crusade to try and establish that I am suffering from some sort of paranoia as regards foreigners. 

Remind me again, in a widespread taxi problem who was it that picked on drivers from a particular part of Europe.

No doubt democracy will whip into action.

More than 80 Tories have criticised the package, pointing to a heavy defeat and a constitutional crisis, unless most can be talked around in the next few weeks of frantic arm-twisting.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-brexit-deal-eu-mps-blindfold-questions-future-unanswered-a8647511.html

• Thanks 1

If it only needs a majority vote from the eu to approve May's 'leave in name only deal' - then Spain is screwed re. Gibraltar.

Not sure why we are discussing this?

The Withdrawl Agreement just requires QMV, our future trading arrangement requires all members to ratify it which is a problem because the political declaration is such a fudge at present. Potentially the issue would now be that Spain block any future trading agreement triggering a backstop, agreed by treaty, we cannot unilaterally remove.

Though the negotiations so far to get to the current point have been tough they are just a starter compared to what is to come.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app