UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It's a good job (for the Tories) that Labour went first or the Tories wouldn't have had any ideas at all.  Oh, there was the obligatory mention of tax cuts, and a vague promise of new housing.  I'm sure the tax cuts will materialise- for the already wealthy anyway!

We have even less clarity on Brexit than before, which is rather remarkable really.

"Dancing Queen'- 'Waterloo' more like.

She hasn't got a clue.  Embarrassing really.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aright said:

One of my requirements when I look for intercommunication with a person who is making a pitch to me is a form of intelligent critical thinking based on more than conjecture, guesstimate and insults. You fail miserably in this regard.

The more you post, the more I'm convinced you don't actually know what critical thinking is

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It ain't rocket science....in the event of a hard Brexit ALL of IT's motor industry will reconsider their situation or just leave.

BMW is the latest and the Japanese industries no longer view UK as their gateway to Europe..... What the hell Sunderland thought would happen to Nissan is Amy's guess.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/paris-motor-show-no-deal-brexit-and-we-ll-have-to-leave-warns-bmw-9jf7sr5sr

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Not at all. It has nothing to do with that at all.

If you earn in your pensions more that the UK tax allowance then you pay income tax on the balance.

At the current rate of income tax in the I am in fact subsidising my state pension by some 20%.

For this magnanimous gesture on my part, and because I live in Thailand the generous UK government has actually FROZEN my pension at the rate that I EARNED it since 2009.

I truly believe that gives me the right to vote in any election or referendum in the UK for life as I started paying income tax in 1959 and will continue to do so until I die.

yes, I am aware of that tax/freezing arrangement

but, how come you retain voting rights whilst others lose rights?

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

You realise that being a tax payer or property owner as an entitlement to enfranchisement was discarded in the 19th century. It may come as a further shock to you to realise that women too now have the vote....... It's all part of growing up and being democratic.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It's a good job (for the Tories) that Labour went first or the Tories wouldn't have had any ideas at all.  Oh, there was the obligatory mention of tax cuts, and a vague promise of new housing.  I'm sure the tax cuts will materialise- for the already wealthy anyway!

We have even less clarity on Brexit than before, which is rather remarkable really.

"Dancing Queen'- 'Waterloo' more like.

Illustrates the problems she has with freedom of movement.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

But were you really expecting clarity, when the Tories are so split on this? We are in basically the same position as before:

> May wanting some form of Customs Union to preserve frictionless trade with the EU and avoid the "rules of origin" issue which has surfaced here in the last day or two, something which the remainers presumably support;

> Johnson, Rees-Mogg and co who want the UK to have the freedom to make Free Trade Deals.

I can see the benefits of both of these viewpoints.

And let's face it, Corbyn has no policy on this at all: his views as ever are oppositional - he has spent his life opposing his own party, it's the only game he knows - mixed with uncosted populist "promises".

Corbyn is a natural Leaver, May is a natural Remainer - bizarre that they have the positions they have!

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

But were you really expecting clarity, when the Tories are so split on this? We are in basically the same position as before:

> May wanting some form of Customs Union to preserve frictionless trade with the EU and avoid the "rules of origin" which has surfaced here in the last day or two, something which the remainers presumably support;

> Johnson, Rees-Mogg and co who want the UK to have the freedom to make Free Trade Deals.

And let's face it, Corbyn has no policy on this at all: his views as ever are oppositional - he has spent his life opposing his own party, it's the only game he knows - mixed with uncosted populist "promises".

Corbyn is a natural Leaver, May is a natural Remainer - bizarre that they have the positions they have!

But the gov policy is still cake and eat it.

Faisal Islam reported last night 

"PM is now defining her Brexit plan as an unwavering commitment to maintain frictionless trade with EU - at same time as an unwavering commitment to leaving free movement, and being able to sign trade deals with other countries, and not leaving Northern Ireland in Customs Union"

These don't seem to be compatible goals - we have not found a way to reconcile them in the last 2 years, how are we going to find one in the next few weeks?

23 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

> May wanting some form of Customs Union to preserve frictionless trade with the EU and avoid the "rules of origin" issue which has surfaced here in the last day or two, something which the remainers presumably support;

re Corbyn and no policy,

didn't he say that he would support a 2nd ref if that became an issue in parliament ?

58 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I agree of course, they don't seem to be compatible goals, but at least she tried to do something for the Remain position. The clearest alternative is a Free Trade Deal, as suggested by Rees-Mogg & Johnson & co, and Barnier & Tusk. The Irish border issue is fixable. But I'm not going to have time for any more replies today, sorry. 

However, as for "cake and eat it", see my my quote yesterday from Norbert Röttgen, Germany’ s de facto leader in the EU. The EU will eat any kind of cake at all when the Germans are baking:

In one of the first signs that Germany may be willing to take up at least part of Theresa May’s Chequers proposals, Röttgen said the EU should be prepared to give the UK access to the single market in relation to goods, but not services, in return for the UK accepting EU rules and the customs union for goods...The EU is wrong to claim there can be no division between goods and services to maintain the integrity of the internal market. It is a position on which the EU has to change to find compromise. Britain, in order to resolve the border question, has to accept a frictionless regime of free movement of goods but without having any say on how the rules apply to Britain".

If the Remainers here were serious about their concerns, they'd spend more time trying to be persuasive and less time insulting other posters.

But the price for free goods movement as he is suggesting seems to be more than she is willing to pay.

Röttgen said the EU should be prepared to give the UK access to the single market in relation to goods, but not services, in return for the UK accepting EU rules and the customs union for goods...

PM is now defining her Brexit plan... being able to sign trade deals with other countries, and not leaving Northern Ireland in Customs Union"

8 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Because at this time I am still within the 15 year limit which was supposed to be scrapped by the government. They have not yet done so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Tebee, it's a negotiation.

It's a step towards a possible solution; it is not the end-solution.

My initial post was to counter the remain cliche reiterated on this thread countless times that the EU doesn't negotiate. Barnier and the other bureaucrats don't negotiate, they don't have the authority to do so. The Germans are the cake-bakers.

They can negotiate, but only within the parameters given to them by the European parliament.  Hence they suggested Canada + as meeting May's red lines.

Our side's not exactly good at negotiating either is it - 18 months to come up with a plan that half her own party's rejection. 

Someone far cleverer than I likened invoking art 50 without a plan to jumping out of a plane whille intending to design a parachute on the way down. 

GA4Lf23.jpg

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Because at this time I am still within the 15 year limit which was supposed to be scrapped by the government. They have not yet done so.

right, ta

I do find it weird though that citizens lose their voting rights

• Like 2

My initial post was to counter the remain cliche reiterated on this thread countless times that the EU doesn't negotiate. Barnier and the other bureaucrats don't negotiate, they don't have the authority to do so. The Germans are the cake-bakers.

You could be right, in spite of what she said yesterday at the conference, The FT is reporting today that she is suggesting the whole of the UK stays in the CU.

https://www.ft.com/content/a4770b92-c721-11e8-ba8f-ee390057b8c9

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Brexit in whatever form it takes is of course rather salient at the moment, but the over-riding concern for me is the Government: more precisely that it is incompetent in most respects.

I wonder too whether their plan for more housing, scant and vague admittedly, will attract the same fierce criticism of impracticality as if Labour had suggested it?  When Labour announces a new plan for investment, the media pounces with calculators in hand.

Austerity is far from over.  Local authorities will have their budgets slashed next year.  Cuts in benefits will continue.

Certainly this morning's headlines seem to suggest that, with the exception of the Mirror, the Fourth Estate continues to follow instructions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

Illustrates the problems she has with freedom of movement.....

I'm not at all sure that May has a problem with 'freedom of movement' - but I'm pretty sure that a large percentage of leave voters do have a problem with this 'eu pillar' of the SM.

Edit - And May is sensible enough to realise this.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

right, ta

I do find it weird though that citizens lose their voting rights

While we lose the right to vote after 15 years the government retains the right to tax us until death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that comment deserves the price as this week's most stupid comment.

If that is how UK understand EU, just cut the moorings and let the foggy islands

drift into the Atlantic and eventually sink.

There is no place in Europe for such lack of understanding.

no authority to negotiate? germans make cakes?

bah!

• Confused 1

Another prediction 

So, either in January, or within weeks of no-deal causing havoc from March 29 2019, they would probably send whoever is prime minister back to Brussels to “renegotiate” — a euphemism for accepting any deal the EU is willing to offer, in short, no-deal should lead to a rapid deal.

Most European decision makers want Britain out, but they don’t want it going rogue under no-deal, their nightmare is a post-Brexit Britain undermining the EU as a low-regulation haven for sweatshops, opaque derivatives and chlorinated chickens. Since the UK has no plan for Brexit, the EU could end up imposing its plan: a soft Brexit or Brino, in which Britain becomes a poorer Norway, accepting all European rules including freedom of movement so as to keep trade and travel flowing.

https://www.ft.com/content/dc36f2f2-c697-11e8-ba8f-ee390057b8c9

Edited by tebee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tebee said:

Another prediction 

So, either in January, or within weeks of no-deal causing havoc from March 29 2019, they would probably send whoever is prime minister back to Brussels to “renegotiate” — a euphemism for accepting any deal the EU is willing to offer, in short, no-deal should lead to a rapid deal.

Most European decision makers want Britain out, but they don’t want it going rogue under no-deal, their nightmare is a post-Brexit Britain undermining the EU as a low-regulation haven for sweatshops, opaque derivatives and chlorinated chickens. Since the UK has no plan for Brexit, the EU could end up imposing its plan: a soft Brexit or Brino, in which Britain becomes a poorer Norway, accepting all European rules including freedom of movement so as to keep trade and travel flowing.

https://www.ft.com/content/dc36f2f2-c697-11e8-ba8f-ee390057b8c9

It will be interesting to see how uk voters react - if the FT's prediction proves to be correct.

But of course, the ft has no idea about the ordinary voters that voted brexit - and assumes they would be entirely happy with this scenario/accept it, and keep voting the tories into power ????.

Not even remainers would be happy if their predicted scenario was enacted by the tories!  And the ft will be even more unhappy at the next GE when (as a result of their predicted scenario) the Labour party is voted into power!

• Like 1