UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

Sir John Major delivering at the Michael Quinlan Lecture says: “no form of Brexit will remotely match up to the promises made by the Leave Campaign in the referendum:  they were vote-gathering fantasies, not serious politics."

• Like 2

Various posters seem to favour  staying in the Customs Union. I wonder if they know that:

“As a customs union member, the UK must charge rather high tariffs, at rates set by Brussels, on various exports from outside the EU. So British shoppers will keep paying more for imports from around the world, particularly food, clothing and shoes – given that prices include tariffs designed to protect uncompetitive producers in other EU states.

Under customs-union rules, 80pc of these tariff revenues go to Brussels – billions of pounds each year. And because the UK trades more with non-EU countries than other large EU members do, we pay an unfairly high share of the combined tariff revenues.”

No wonder the EU wants us in the CU (apart from all the other reason)!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/10/13/staying-customs-union-not-option/

You are ignoring all the various FTA deals and other preference agreements that the EU has in place which means that the majority of imports into the U.K. do not have these high tariffs applied to them and, when it comes to foodstuffs,the vast majority comes from countries where zero tariffs apply.

The U.K. has already submitted to the WTO that we will be applying the EU external tariff after Brexit which effectively means that these high tariffs that you point out will be applied to the bulk of our imports and will cause a significant increase in the price of foodstuffs.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Orac said:

The U.K. has already submitted to the WTO that we will be applying the EU external tariff after Brexit which effectively means that these high tariffs that you point out will be applied to the bulk of our imports and will cause a significant increase in the price of foodstuffs.

I haven't seen specific news to support this, and in any case it would depend on the type and speed of the exit, obviously.

Evidence please.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Orac said:

"On 24 July 2018 the United Kingdom submitted to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) draft new national schedules of tariffs and equivalent charges on UK imports of goods, to come into effect when the UK leaves the European Union.  Their contents will become public in due course.  For now they are confidential to WTO member governments (including the EU27), who have been given three months in which to offer comments through the WTO machinery.  This article explains why the UK initiative is necessary, and the procedures which it sets in motion."

Mchael Johnson, former senior official at the DTI.

Please note it says nothing about applying the EU external tariff.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

You repeatedly claim this. Please provide specific evidence, about foodstuffs.

Again - I did this a couple of days ago and you vanished.

Here is an overview of EU imports from Africa

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/november/tradoc_156399.pdf

And the specific regulation enabling it

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1539751942265&uri=CELEX:32012R0978

This is the latest U.K. Govt report on our food supply

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-global-and-uk-supply

That shows we only produce 50% of our own foodstuff and 30% from the EU - that means 60% of the food we import is from the EU alone and will be subject to tariffs without a deal before you add on the current zero-rated stuff under FTA/preference deals.

As a reminder here are the tariffs that you posted earlier that will start applying to all the imports that are currently zero-rated if we leave without a deal

64F55469-EF84-4B33-9C00-95654DB9E61D.jpeg

42 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Under customs-union rules, 80pc of these tariff revenues go to Brussels – billions of pounds each year. And because the UK trades more with non-EU countries than other large EU members do, we pay an unfairly high share of the combined tariff revenues.”

Looks like the UK has been short-changing the EU for around € 2.7 billion:

Brussels, 24 September 2018

Based on a proposal by the Commissioner for Budget and Human Resources, Günther H. Oettinger, today the European Commission has decided to send a Reasoned Opinion to the United Kingdom because of its failure to make customs duties available to the EU budget, as required by EU law.

This is the second step the Commission is taking in the formal infringement procedure for this case in order to protect the financial interests of the EU. In March 2018, the Commission opened the infringement procedure following a 2017 report by the EU's anti-fraud body OLAF, which found that importers in the United Kingdom evaded a large amount of customs duties by using fictitious and false invoices and incorrect customs value declarations at importation. Further Commission inspections confirmed the very large scale of this undervaluation fraud scheme operating through British ports between 2011 and 2017. Despite having been informed of the risks of fraud relating to the imports of textiles and footwear originating from the People's Republic of China since 2007, and despite having been asked to take appropriate risk control measures, the United Kingdom failed to take effective action to prevent the fraud.

The Commission calculates that the infringement of EU legislation by the United Kingdom resulted in losses to the EU budget amounting to €2.7 billion (plus interest and minus collection costs) during the period between November 2011 and October 2017. In addition, the United Kingdom also infringed EU Value Added Tax legislation, leading to additional potential losses to the EU budget.

All Member States are liable for the financial consequences of their infringements of EU law.

The United Kingdom now has two months to act; otherwise the Commission may refer the case to the Court of Justice of the EU.

Edited by damascase
  • Thanks 1

"On 24 July 2018 the United Kingdom submitted to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) draft new national schedules of tariffs and equivalent charges on UK imports of goods, to come into effect when the UK leaves the European Union.  Their contents will become public in due course.  For now they are confidential to WTO member governments (including the EU27), who have been given three months in which to offer comments through the WTO machinery.  This article explains why the UK initiative is necessary, and the procedures which it sets in motion."

Mchael Johnson, former senior official at the DTI.

Please note it says nothing about applying the EU external tariff.

The U.K. has not had the time to agree a new tariff schedule which would involve a massive consultation with industry and take more time than has been available so far - also there has been no mention from govt or industry that any of these talks have specifically taken place yet.

If the U.K. has submitted a tariff that varies from the EU one it would be a massive task to get it through the WTO where any member could block it whereas the hope would be, that by adopting the same tariffs that are currently in place, this can get through quickly.

There is nothing to say we cannot do this later after Brexit but it is a massive task, difficult to get through WTO/EU and puts us in a tough position negotiating new trade deals - why would anyone want to negotiate with us it they didn’t know what our position regarding tariffs was going to be.

https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/julianbraithwaite/2017/01/23/ensuring-a-smooth-transition-in-the-wto-as-we-leave-the-eu/

Looks like the UK has been short-changing the EU for around € 2.7 billion:

Brussels, 24 September 2018

Based on a proposal by the Commissioner for Budget and Human Resources, Günther H. Oettinger, today the European Commission has decided to send a Reasoned Opinion to the United Kingdom because of its failure to make customs duties available to the EU budget, as required by EU law.

This is the second step the Commission is taking in the formal infringement procedure for this case in order to protect the financial interests of the EU. In March 2018, the Commission opened the infringement procedure following a 2017 report by the EU's anti-fraud body OLAF, which found that importers in the United Kingdom evaded a large amount of customs duties by using fictitious and false invoices and incorrect customs value declarations at importation. Further Commission inspections confirmed the very large scale of this undervaluation fraud scheme operating through British ports between 2011 and 2017. Despite having been informed of the risks of fraud relating to the imports of textiles and footwear originating from the People's Republic of China since 2007, and despite having been asked to take appropriate risk control measures, the United Kingdom failed to take effective action to prevent the fraud.

The Commission calculates that the infringement of EU legislation by the United Kingdom resulted in losses to the EU budget amounting to €2.7 billion (plus interest and minus collection costs) during the period between November 2011 and October 2017. In addition, the United Kingdom also infringed EU Value Added Tax legislation, leading to additional potential losses to the EU budget.

All Member States are liable for the financial consequences of their infringements of EU law.

The United Kingdom now has two months to act; otherwise the Commission may refer the case to the Court of Justice of the EU.

It has been an issue for many years and, as the EU are saying, U.K. HMRC put very little effort in dealing with it particularly for our large clothing importers. I had retired before the period in question but some of the invoices I used to see were ridiculous- one major high street name brought in a container load of ladies night gowns and prices them at 6p each

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orac said:

It has been an issue for many years and, as the EU are saying, U.K. HMRC put very little effort in dealing with it particularly for our large clothing importers. I had retired before the period in question but some of the invoices I used to see were ridiculous- one major high street name brought in a container load of ladies night gowns and prices them at 6p each

All the more reason why the EU insists on a proper agreement with regard to the Irish border and also why the Chequers plan was never viable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

His view of them: “I believe those who promised what will never be delivered will have much to answer for. They persuaded a deceived population to vote to be weaker and poorer. That will never be forgotten -- nor forgiven.”

Sir John Major

Coming from him, that's pretty good.

• Like 2

Mr Grieve :“And I have to say to her that, in those circumstances, I will not be able to support the government in this unless this matter is put to the British people again, because it’s entirely different from what was discussed and negotiated during the referendum in 2016.”

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think that's a bit rich coming from John Major, he endorsed Cameron in having a referendum, he didn't get the result he wanted, so let's have another.

He didn't endorse the 'pie in the sky' promises.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tebee said:

Sir John Major delivering at the Michael Quinlan Lecture says: “no form of Brexit will remotely match up to the promises made by the Leave Campaign in the referendum:  they were vote-gathering fantasies, not serious politics."

And sir John is an expert on these subjects so listen up folks!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orac said:

You are ignoring all the various FTA deals and other preference agreements that the EU has in place which means that the majority of imports into the U.K. do not have these high tariffs applied to them and, when it comes to foodstuffs,the vast majority comes from countries where zero tariffs apply.

This statement could do with some real evidence, please.

53 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

His view of them: “I believe those who promised what will never be delivered will have much to answer for. They persuaded a deceived population to vote to be weaker and poorer. That will never be forgotten -- nor forgiven.”

Sir John Major

"We must not allow the remainers to betray the people" Kate Hoey

• Like 2