Visa agents in Penang

Have done some research and found a few.

Jim gets mentioned often and has good reviews, however I found him to be rather rude and disinterested.

Contacted him a few times and and unhelpful short responses such as yes/no.

Also no idea on what he charges and he would not respond either.

banana has got a lot of negative reviews , so count them out.

Found guy name Durai, has all 5 star reviews on Facebook and google but when I met him, he comes across as a a bit of a space cadet.

so anyone with recommendation or experience with Durai? Or anyone else ? I just give up on Jim and his manner , by the way Saturday he is also closed 

thanks In advance

Edited by BestB

Looong time since I had to do visa runs, but in those days I always used Pravez book store on Chulia Street. 1946842922_ParvezBook.jpg.44d18a58977ac6912177d68adfadf31e.jpg

They are situated on the corner of the entrance to the Grand Swiss Hotel. The NJS shop on the other corner also provided visa service, but I was always satisfied with Parvez to never actually tried them.

1801352304_GrandSwissHotel.jpg.136bc7c426add85010ff9490f4c558ca.jpg

As I said was long time ago so things may have changed, but the Google image is dated 2017 and it looks just the same as in my day so possibly they still do visas. 

I used to stay at the Swiss Hotel as it was then called, bit of a dump but handy for the couple of days of a visa run. See the name is now Grand Swiss Hotel so maybe it's gone upmarket now.

Georgetown!.jpg.9ef52dec9e4f5d0e4c5f16a043a598c3.jpg

Hope this helps.

:smile:

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Why don't you just take a taxi to the consulate and hand in the application by yourself? In case you don't have your documents in order, the agents can't help you. DIY, it's easy.

A good agent will know what documents are required for each visa and if you are in town you can get extra copies or do something about the problem without wasting money on several taxi rides to the consulate and standing in line for possibly hours at a time.

Still whatever floats your boat. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Why don't you just take a taxi to the consulate and hand in the application by yourself? In case you don't have your documents in order, the agents can't help you. DIY, it's easy.

1. An agent is cheaper than two trips with a taxi. 

2. They only accept 100 applications per day nowadays. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Looong time since I had to do visa runs, but in those days I always used Pravez book store on Chulia Street. 1946842922_ParvezBook.jpg.44d18a58977ac6912177d68adfadf31e.jpg

They are situated on the corner of the entrance to the Grand Swiss Hotel. The NJS shop on the other corner also provided visa service, but I was always satisfied with Parvez to never actually tried them.

1801352304_GrandSwissHotel.jpg.136bc7c426add85010ff9490f4c558ca.jpg

As I said was long time ago so things may have changed, but the Google image is dated 2017 and it looks just the same as in my day so possibly they still do visas. 

I used to stay at the Swiss Hotel as it was then called, bit of a dump but handy for the couple of days of a visa run. See the name is now Grand Swiss Hotel so maybe it's gone upmarket now.

Georgetown!.jpg.9ef52dec9e4f5d0e4c5f16a043a598c3.jpg

Hope this helps.

:smile:

Thanks dafffy, do you recall the fees? Non b single entry I was quoted 400 ringgit, all in. 

On 8/11/2018 at 9:43 AM, BestB said:

so anyone with recommendation or experience with Durai? Or anyone else ? I just give up on Jim and his manner , by the way Saturday he is also closed 

What is more important ? Manners ? Or to get your visa ? ?

Indeed, he doesn't seem  very "talkative" on Internet... But we all have the same questions, over and over again, do we ?

I went to see Jim last year (for a O visa, family, 1 year, multiple), after a first trip to Penang consulate on my own (i got then a 3 month single, which was a kind of failure).

My point is : he did the job. That's all I can say.

And I will definitely to go to see him again in october, for a new visa.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I used Banana for many years although last time about 2012 but always great service. Lilly would always respond to emails with latest requirements

I checked banan reviews on google and nothing but negative 

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

What is more important ? Manners ? Or to get your visa ? ?

Indeed, he doesn't seem  very "talkative" on Internet... But we all have the same questions, over and over again, do we ?

I went to see Jim last year (for a O visa, family, 1 year, multiple), after a first trip to Penang consulate on my own (i got then a 3 month single, which was a kind of failure).

My point is : he did the job. That's all I can say.

And I will definitely to go to see him again in october, for a new visa.

You absolutely right, but when someone just ignores you it makes you wonder ?

On 8/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, Daffy D said:

A good agent will know what documents are required for each visa and if you are in town you can get extra copies or do something about the problem without wasting money on several taxi rides to the consulate and standing in line for possibly hours at a time.

Still whatever floats your boat. :thumbsup:

I think D.I.Y is much much better. If you go yourself and lack of document you can prepared on the spot. There is one van at outside Thai Consulate selling WIFI and printing. You can sent your document to them and they will print it out for you. Of course there is some charges for printing. But due to convenient it worth. And they are very helpful. I suggest everyone before enter to Thai consulate office, let the van man check through all the document to avoid reject from the office. And their checking document service is free of charge (F.O.C). So you can save time and save money too. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2018 at 3:01 PM, PoorSucker said:

1. An agent is cheaper than two trips with a taxi. 

2. They only accept 100 applications per day nowadays. 

1. If you order 'GRAB' two trips is still cheaper than agents.

2. Now no more limit on 100 application anymore. Just come before 11am Malaysia Time.

54 minutes ago, danielbehcy said:

1. If you order 'GRAB' two trips is still cheaper than agents.

2. Now no more limit on 100 application anymore. Just come before 11am Malaysia Time.

Application limit of 100 per day still applies .

having gone with an agent , I can confirm going alone is not different. Not only agent does not do anything , but does not even come with you, no queue jumping or any privileges at all.

Agent fees range from 30-50 ringgit , that’s pretty much taxi fare there and back.

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

having gone with an agent , I can confirm going alone is not different. Not only agent does not do anything , but does not even come with you, no queue jumping or any privileges at all.

Agent fees range from 30-50 ringgit , that’s pretty much taxi fare there and back.

What you mean you went there with an agent? Isn't the agent go there without you? And work out everything for you.

13 minutes ago, mihastare said:

What you mean you went there with an agent? Isn't the agent go there without you? And work out everything for you.

Nope, you go , agent does nothing and it’s the well known and “respected “ one ?

you line up, you hand over your documents , you deal with anything that arises.

agent does not even come with you 

Edited by BestB

Have things changes so much?

I used to just sign the form and hand in my passport with the fee. The agent would fill in the forms and the visa would be ready next day early afternoon at the shop.

The shop was also had a minibus service which would wait until the visa arrived so you could catch the buss to Hat Yai  straight away if you wanted. Or wherever you wanted to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Have things changes so much?

I used to just sign the form and hand in my passport with the fee. The agent would fill in the forms and the visa would be ready next day early afternoon at the shop.

The shop was also had a minibus service which would wait until the visa arrived so you could catch the buss to Hat Yai  straight away if you wanted. Or wherever you wanted to go.

Cureny procedure, you hand over your papers and passport along with fee to an agent.

agent advises what time to come back in the morning.

in the morning, agent hand she back your papers with a rubber band, fees inside passport , less agent fees and tells you to go with taxi driver who is waiting outside .

taxi drives you to embassy , points at the door and you on your own.

once you do all the work yourself , taxi driver drives you back and agent tells you to come back the next day , so that the same taxi driver will drive you back to embassy to collect papers and passport.

16 hours ago, BestB said:

Application limit of 100 per day no more applies . Just walk in before 11am (Malaysia Time)

24 minutes ago, danielbehcy said:

Application limit of 100 per day no more applies . Just walk in before 11am (Malaysia Time)

Against 100 limit per day applies and clearly says so at the consulate.

might be wise not to argue with someone who is in Penang as I type and was in consulate yesterday