Please Help............

Hi there,

I recently started teaching at an 'international' school in the sukhumvit area. They said they would provide me with a work permit providing i supplied all the relevent documents, which i did: medical certificates, photos, original degree and TEFL certiicate. They delayed on submitting these documents for the work permit and 2 months on i am still waiting. Two weeks ago one of the girls in the office came and gave me a letter from the school confirming that they had receipt of my degree with the reference number etc signed from the schools boss. When i asked why she had given this to me she replied that all certification remained the property of the school until i left! I was a little shocked by this as i gave my degree in good faith for a work permit not for them to keep!

By chance, this weekend i met the woman who i took over from at the school, she had nothing good to say about the school and confirmed a lot of the niggling thoughts i also have about the school. she told me despite working out her months notice they refused to pay her, telling her 'she could report them but as she had no work permit it would cause her more problems in the long run'...... to top it off her parting words to me was how thankful she was she hadn't given them her original degree that they had hounded her for!

This conversation and many other things at the school have made me decide that i also would like to leave this school. I informed them of my intentions yesterday...... the schools boss informed me i would have to work my months notice (which i don't mind doing..... as long as i get paid!) and my degree would be returned to me at their descretion!!!! To this i replied they HAD to return it to me once my notice period was complete......... she then replied 'we don't have to do anything and since you've been working illegally here i don't think the authorities will take kindly to you if we don't!'

I am so angry about this, is there anything i can do?? Any help, advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Edited by gemmamccarron

Google search : stickman bangkok

Read his site.. he's a farang teacher in BKK and a Legend

Email him, i'm sure he would be the best guy for help in your situation...

:o

You can report all the details and the name of the school on teflwatch, you can google the url

Edited by haltes

Let me guess, though- the school has something "Christian" in the title, right? I know of an "international" school on Sukhumvit that I'd guess is the one you've been at, with an insane and criminal "woman" in charge that sounds like the one you're talking about.

Remind them that while you have been working there illegally, they have also been employing you illegally. Let them know that you will call the BBC and CNN regarding their illegal practices if necessary. A letter from a lawyer would probably help. And contact TEFLwatch. Good luck.

"Steven"

Sad, but a very good example of why no one should ever take a job at any school until you have checked it out every way possible including asking about it on various sites, reviewing TeflWatch.org info and inquiring of past and present teachers. And then when you think you've checked it out as much as you possibly can, repeat your steps and add a few more! :o

Edited by mopenyang

Thank you all for your comments. I contacted Stickman...... and yes he was very helpful!! I have contacted a law team in Bangkok and they have given me advice and are going to represent me and hound them for my degree...... as earlier mentioned, yes i am working illegally but they too were employing me illegally!! We shall see how it pans out....... but i'm confident!!

TEFL watch will be getting a full posted rant and no there is not a 'christian' in the title- but good to know for future reference!!! Thanks again for all your comments!!

Sorry to hear about your situation. Only one word can describe it: evil. Please post the name of your school and the situation on teflwatch.org to save others the hassles you are facing.

Believe it or not, this sort of thing is not uncommon. Schools like to hold your work permit, passport and documents to stop people from running out on the contract.

To get around this, I state clearly that I will photocopy my documents and that I will be the one to carry them and present them to the various ministries. I too had a similar problem to you but was lucky enough to get my degree back after six months of contantly asking for it.

Good luck! Let us know how it is going.

You can also post the name of the school here on the thread "Schools I would not recommend." I recommend you do so.