IDC - After a Court Sentence

Good afternoon,

first of all all sorry for my English.

I’m a Portuguese citizen who comes on holidays to Thailand and arrive here at 19 June.

in the day I arrive I have found a small backpack in the bus station outside of the airport.

i have pick up the backpack, anyone in the station.

the backpack contains a photograph Machado, a tablet a wallet with 300bath, and some personal items such a pens, electronics accessories.

at the 2 of July when I was in the airport near the boarding gate the police arrested me and send me to some place they call  court.

All the itens are in my possession except the wallet.

i stay in the samut prakan prison from 4 July to 16, because my family arrange one lawyer company and one family who works to the government, and pay 200.000 bath to release until the court sentence at 21August.

mean will my lawyer contact the onwer of the backpack and pay 40.000 bath to drop the charges.

my lawyer information is I’ll get a suspended sentence and the court I’ll send me immediately to the IDC to be deport, but don’t know how much time this process I’ll take.

my question is if I get a ticket for the same day as my court appearance I need to go to the IDC same way? 

Thanks to everybody for the informations.

I’m so sorry and shame about everything what happened. 

For me defense, I don’t have still any thing to anybody. I have found one backpack on a seat of the bus station, and I stay at that bus station out side of the airport waiting for a bus to dom muang airport more than 15 minutes and anyone appears. And I was think, if I don’t pick the bag someone will do. 

even the photographe machine I don’t touch for the 12 days in my possession same as the tablet, every photos, email everything in the camera and in tablet.

The only thing missing on the backpack was a small teddy bear, because I see a small girl in the street asking for money and I give the teddy bear to her.

i never in my life have intentions to still anything to anybody.

i know is not a defense for me, but in Portugal we a proverb which is:

”Achado não é roubado”

translate to English is something like what you found is not stole.

i know I don’t have excuse for my moral, but with all of this I have already spend more than 15.000€ and worst, 2 days in a police station jail, 12 in the central prison and far from my son and family and wait more than a month to go to the court. 

Fortunately my brother have good connections and have a friend here, and the family of this friend work for the government, and warranties my stay out side of the jail waiting for judgement.

for the girl I have give 40.000 bath, more than enough to compensate all the things to her and I thing more than enough to forget this story. And she already sign the papers and drop the charge. 

The lawyer said I’ll get a suspend sentence for sure.

my questions are about IDC and flights ticket but all you people already answered.

my best regards,

Tiago

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

You are a Black man with Portugese citizenship are you not?I am not prejudiced against you if you are but there are reasons Thai authorities might be.

If I see some other persons property on the ground in Thailand I DO NOT TOUCH IT. NEVER
A very old scam known to all and sundry

I report it to security guards, staff, or police
And let them deal with it less I get reported for theft.

No I’m not a black man citizen.

now I know about the scam, have meet a lot of foreign people in the prison because of things like that, wallets mobile phones, luggage at airport.

this is my 3 time in Thailand, and I have already travel a little bit around the world and never have seen anything like that. That scam is only to foreigners? What the people earn doing that scams?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TiagoPT said:

No I’m not a black man citizen.

now I know about the scam, have meet a lot of foreign people in the prison because of things like that, wallets mobile phones, luggage at airport.

this is my 3 time in Thailand, and I have already travel a little bit around the world and never have seen anything like that. That scam is only to foreigners? What the people earn doing that scams?

The bribes you have paid go into their pockets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Literally “ found is not stolen “, but yes “ finders keepers “ is the common English phrase.

Tiago,
you have been brave to admit your moment of weakness and although some have criticised your actions ( posts removed ) not everyone knows how they will react in your situation .

Ubonjoe and Darksidedog will be able to answer your more specific questions and I suggest you use their experience in this matter to help you come to a satisfactory solution.

Como outros já disseram, boa sorte e vai com Deus.

Thanks for you kindness words Andrew,

who never had done anything wrong?

it was an error and I’m so regret off that.

At this moment i stay in Udonthani, but at 19 August I’ll return to Bkk to the court appearance at 21.

if anyone want take a coffee, please say me something.

i miss so much take a coffee and talk with  someone friendly.

at this moment my life resume to stay in an apartment and nothing more, because the friend off my brother who have garante me travel a lot for the government.

Andrew you speak Portuguese? Are you Portuguese?

• Like 2

OP,you need to speak with your lawyer.

if girl dropped all charges, then there is no case, no court, nothing at all.

your bail should be refunded and providing your visa in order you could do as you wish.

though I have a feeling visa has expired as police would have kept your passport and visa was not extended, in which case you charged with overstay 

what i I do not get is why your lawyer keeps telling you suspended sentence when case has been dropped and if it has not been dropped then why did you pay girl 40000 baht

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

OP,you need to speak with your lawyer.

if girl dropped all charges, then there is no case, no court, nothing at all.

your bail should be refunded and providing your visa in order you could do as you wish.

though I have a feeling visa has expired as police would have kept your passport and visa was not extended, in which case you charged with overstay 

what i I do not get is why your lawyer keeps telling you suspended sentence when case has been dropped and if it has not been dropped then why did you pay girl 40000 baht

The lawyer have meet with the woman own of the back pack and she sign the papers and the lawyer pay her the money.

the lawyer say to me is because of the police investigation I have to go to the court and then they see the charge has been drop.

the lawyer say I have to pay a fine to the court (30.000) and I already give him the money for that. 

My my visa is for 30 days, so have expired at 18 July, but because I have no passport the lawyer and my embassy say I don’t have to pay the overstay because I’m still here on demand of the court.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TiagoPT said:

One more time thanks for your kindnesses words.

one of the things I have learned with all of this is have a bunch of marvellous persons in the world.

when I sent to the central prison, without any money, clothes, nothing have pass the night in one cell with more ham 100 people.

next day in the morning, when I go to outside I have a lots of foreign people, waiting for me, giving me food, clothes, cigarettes and comfort words.

that people, from Algeria, Iran, Brasil, don’t know me from anywhere and treat like a soon ( I have a small appear, so I  look very young).

im not a rich guy but used have a regular life, and I’m that day without anything, that people show me what is kindness and human being. 

Before i I leave from Bkk to Udon, I try visiting them on jail, and send money to them and food, but the police don’t allow me because I have my original passport confiscated.

but that kindness people, people I’m sure never more in my life I’ll see, I’ll stay the rest of my life on my heart. 

Have  any way to send money to them, without being in person?

Yes, it’s good to know that there are still some kind people left in this world.

As for repaying the kindness shown to you in central prison I cannot answer your question but hopefully someone on here will offer some advice.

47 minutes ago, TiagoPT said:

My my visa is for 30 days, so have expired at 18 July, but because I have no passport the lawyer and my embassy say I don’t have to pay the overstay because I’m still here on demand of the court.

For the benefit of any doubting Thomases out there, 90-day extensions are, indeed, possible under para 2.26 of Police Order 327/2557 in cases of litigation or court proceedings:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNib_gx9zYEYkFjMUNHV1pXdWs/view

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

For the benefit of any doubting Thomases out there, 90-day extensions are, indeed, possible under para 2.26 of Police Order 327/2557 in cases of litigation or court proceedings:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNib_gx9zYEYkFjMUNHV1pXdWs/view

Yes, but you actually have to go to extend it. That is my understanding . Not doing the extension makes you an illegal overstay

19 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Ubonjoe and yourself seem to be 2 great guys with character and great tolerance towards others. Many on TV and other forums could learn from you and a few others. Bravo!!!  The world could be so pleasant without condescension and  arrogance, often paired with ignorance. To the original poster: BOA SORTE!!! To Joe and Dog. Thank you for your support on TV and all the Best. MS>

Since you are off topic, I'll do the same. When we forgot, my wife's handbag on Koh Chang's White Sands beach it was brought back to our hotel. Honest people will go out of their way to return lost property.

Further, one of the rules of TV is that we don't suggest criminal activity. Therefore I am not sure we should respond to the OP at all. But I can understand that some people have some form of compassion.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Haha 2

When someone loses something it feels almost like being raped or left with a void. Yes in many countries it is finders keepers, but I always think of how it would feel on the other foot and no matter what I would not even touch a wallet or back pack or anything like that. Not even a phone unless there was a security booth or guard or police man around to give it to.. Now a wad of cash maybe... A big gold necklace maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1