IDC - After a Court Sentence

Tiago you really have put yourself in a very awkward situation. Firstly you should not have touched this bag it could have held explosives, you should have left it alone and advised airport security or staff. There are warnings in many countries about this. In saying this I hope you are ok and have learnt  your lesson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never touch someone else's stuff, unattended or otherwise. Don't yield to temptation. CCTV is a powerful tool. Location is irrelevant. Police can track a person's movements from one camera to the next... up until the moment you appeared before the immigration officer at passport control.

• Like 1

Very interesting that this was a scam to nail somebody to get money. I was waiting for a friend at Phuket airport and saw a pack sitting for quite a while alone. I had no interest in its contents, but was concerned it might be a bomb especially after the bombing in BKK. I pointed it out to a policeman and a couple of airport security, maybe bomb guys showed up and just picked it up and looked inside and walked away. This story maybe explains why they had no concerns etc. Scary stuff getting arrested for trying to do the right thing.

• Like 2

I dont know about anybody else but if you find something bring it to police or lost and found straight away or leave it where you see it , i dont understand why you have to keep it with you the whole time before bringing it back thats the mistake you made 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Inflammatory posts have been removed. OP is asking for help not to be harangued. 

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just a reminder and to state posts are being removed without notice.

A now another clean up of the topic.

9 hours ago, TiagoPT said:

The lawyer have meet with the woman own of the back pack and she sign the papers and the lawyer pay her the money.

the lawyer say to me is because of the police investigation I have to go to the court and then they see the charge has been drop.

the lawyer say I have to pay a fine to the court (30.000) and I already give him the money for that. 

My my visa is for 30 days, so have expired at 18 July, but because I have no passport the lawyer and my embassy say I don’t have to pay the overstay because I’m still here on demand of the court.

Still does not add up champ, someone feeding you false information .

Pay fine for what ? For case that has been dropped?

if girl has dropped the case, there is no case, all over.

however because you did not extend your visa and you had to do it as it’s separate matters , you now have a provlem

with overstay .

A lawyer could explain to judge  the reason and judge may possibly accept but again I feel

someone feeding you false information .

now , technically you are stuck here because of court so you do not have to pay now, but you will be charged max amount of 20000 for overstay and blacklisted

how well do you know the lawyer and the Thai guarantor?

Edited by BestB

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

Still does not add up champ, someone feeding you false information .

Pay fine for what ? For case that has been dropped?

if girl has dropped the case, there is no case, all over.

however because you did not extend your visa and you had to do it as it’s separate matters , you now have a provlem

with overstay .

A lawyer could explain to judge  the reason and judge may possibly accept but again I feel

someone feeding you false information .

now , technically you are stuck here because of court so you do not have to pay now, but you will be charged max amount of 20000 for overstay and blacklisted

how well do you know the lawyer and the Thai guarantor?

The lawyer is one recommend for the police to my family.

the Thai guarantor use to work with my brother on cruises. This guy I put my hands on fire was a good person.

The money I give to the girl drop the charge is a kind of compensation.

the 30k my lawyer say is the amount of my fine at 21 August.

10 minutes ago, TiagoPT said:

The lawyer is one recommend for the police to my family.

the Thai guarantor use to work with my brother on cruises. This guy I put my hands on fire was a good person.

The money I give to the girl drop the charge is a kind of compensation.

the 30k my lawyer say is the amount of my fine at 21 August.

Champ, you still not getting it, you paid to drop the case, there is no fine as there is no case.

Someone is milking you or taking you for a ride.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, BestB said:

Champ, you still not getting it, you paid to drop the case, there is no fine as there is no case.

Someone is milking you or taking you for a ride.

I don’t know.

the lawyer sent already the papers sign for the girl, and in is receipt have one item “fine sentence 30.000”

the lawyer yer say to me the girl dropped the charge but the public prosecutor continued.

i have to go to court at 21 August (48 days since I have been arrested)

the lawyer say say for sure my sentence is fine 30.000 and suspended sentence.

now the problem is the IDC and all the burocracy 

On 8/15/2018 at 2:10 PM, BestB said:

Yes, but you actually have to go to extend it. That is my understanding . Not doing the extension makes you an illegal overstay

Might be a tad difficult for him to do this, if, as I gather from the final para of his posting at #19, his passport has been seized by the powers-that-be (as is normal for pending court cases):-

"My my visa is for 30 days, so have expired at 18 July, but because I have no passport the lawyer and my embassy say I don’t have to pay the overstay because I’m still here on demand of the court."

On 8/15/2018 at 8:29 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't speak Portuguese, but I would guess your idiom translates as "Finders keepers".

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Find is not stolen according to google translate.  In the UK, if you find something and do not take reasonable steps to return it, like handing it in to the authorities etc. you can be assumed to have 'dishonestly appropriated' the property, which is an important part of proving theft.  The basic definition of theft under the theft Act 1968. - A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Might be a tad difficult for him to do this, if, as I gather from the final para of his posting at #19, his passport has been seized by the powers-that-be (as is normal for pending court cases):-

He was probably not aware it was possible. I have read of people being accompanied to immigration by the police with their passport so they could apply for the extension.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TiagoPT said:

I don’t know.

the lawyer sent already the papers sign for the girl, and in is receipt have one item “fine sentence 30.000”

the lawyer yer say to me the girl dropped the charge but the public prosecutor continued.

i have to go to court at 21 August (48 days since I have been arrested)

the lawyer say say for sure my sentence is fine 30.000 and suspended sentence.

now the problem is the IDC and all the burocracy 

The lawyer can't say anything for sure about the fine or the sentence, it is up to the judge to decide.

50 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The lawyer can't say anything for sure about the fine or the sentence, it is up to the judge to decide.

Exactly, I am perplexed how anybody can pay a fine when the judgement hasn't yet happened, I suspect that money has gone even if the judge dismisses the case.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He was probably not aware it was possible. I have read of people being accompanied to immigration by the police with their passport so they could apply for the extension.

@TiagoPT - so, unless you somehow managed to obtain a 90-day extension of stay prior to your permission to stay expiring on 18 July, I am afraid that you are going to be liable to a hefty overstay fine (@ 500 THB per day up to a maximum of 20,000 THB) plus possible lengthy ban from Thailand when you are eventually able to leave the country, regardless of what your lawyer has advised you.

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

"My my visa is for 30 days, so have expired at 18 July, but because I have no passport the lawyer and my embassy say I don’t have to pay the overstay because I’m still here on demand of the court."

I never said Thai laws and regulations made any sense, just saying how it works 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In my case , police asked for a human deposit , let me explain . Police agreed to give me back passport to do visa extension providing someone remains in their custody until I returned. I left one of my staff as a deposit , did visa extension and she was set free.

neither immigration or police work together, each one handles it’s own matter landing people in hot water

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TiagoPT said:

Hello,

first off all I need to thanks the some people here, who have listened me, give me some comfort words and free advices.

i have been on court at 21 August, and the judge give me the sentence I know. NOT GUILTY.

As I have told,

i have found one bag, don’t still the bag to any one. The judge have comprehension and give me a 30.000 bath fine and release me of all the charges.

im in freedom not on the IDC, because my lawyer garante me, and I have to stay In Thailand for one more month, because the public prosecutor could contest the judge decision. 

I don’t know if possible put my lawyer name and contact here, but if someone need could send me a pm.

the lawyer is not cheap, but a honest and decent guy.

im here alone, and the lawyer knows that, so every day invite me to lunch or dinner In is house, with is family, always worry if I need something.

in the prison have 2 guys who help me a lot, and because I don’t have my passport yet I can’t visit then.

the lawyer arrange the things, and put me like is employee/ translator and Monday ill visit and bring food for the people who help inside the prison.

maybe it’s important say, the lawyer, now a friend of mine is the Vice President of the Thailand lawyers Association

Thanks everybody for your help and kindness words

Good to hear worked out well for you, the 30 000, do you get it back after 30 days?do you have to check in with court?

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Good to hear worked out well for you, the 30 000, do you get it back after 30 days?do you have to check in with court?

Yes, the bail I have already pay the court I’ll give me after 14

days, and the 30.000 fine on immigration at airport when I leave the country 

1 minute ago, TiagoPT said:

Yes, the bail I have already pay the court I’ll give me after 14

days, and the 30.000 fine on immigration at airport when I leave the country 

So you found not guilty by the court and 30 000 is fine for overstay?

Very confusing, because fine for overstay is max 20 000, and paid to immigration.

• Like 1

My lady wife found 5k on a bus seat as she was leaving the bus(it must have fell out of a bag) a few years ago

i would like to think she handed it in .... but no we had a few beers with it

whats the Thai for "finders keepers"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, poohy said:

My lady wife found 5k on a bus seat as she was leaving the bus(it must have fell out of a bag) a few years ago

i would like to think she handed it in .... but no we had a few beers with it

whats the Thai for "finders keepers"

Finding money is quite different to stealing a bag .

Its quite unlikely that you would be able to find the owner of the money found on a bus , it would be quite likely that the owner of the bag in the OP's story would have been found, had he not taken it

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Finding money is quite different to stealing a bag .

Its quite unlikely that you would be able to find the owner of the money found on a bus , it would be quite likely that the owner of the bag in the OP's story would have been found, had he not taken it

Fair enough but it was a long distance bus with assigned seats i was meeting her at bus station so presumably the owners had also just got off

I was concerned she wasn't .....anyway you have absolved me

On 8/25/2018 at 9:50 PM, TiagoPT said:

Hello,

first off all I need to thanks the some people here, who have listened me, give me some comfort words and free advices.

i have been on court at 21 August, and the judge give me the sentence I know. NOT GUILTY.

As I have told,

i have found one bag, don’t still the bag to any one. The judge have comprehension and give me a 30.000 bath fine and release me of all the charges.

im in freedom not on the IDC, because my lawyer garante me, and I have to stay In Thailand for one more month, because the public prosecutor could contest the judge decision. 

I don’t know if possible put my lawyer name and contact here, but if someone need could send me a pm.

the lawyer is not cheap, but a honest and decent guy.

im here alone, and the lawyer knows that, so every day invite me to lunch or dinner In is house, with is family, always worry if I need something.

in the prison have 2 guys who help me a lot, and because I don’t have my passport yet I can’t visit then.

the lawyer arrange the things, and put me like is employee/ translator and Monday ill visit and bring food for the people who help inside the prison.

maybe it’s important say, the lawyer, now a friend of mine is the Vice President of the Thailand lawyers Association

Thanks everybody for your help and kindness words

Thank you for the feedback.

So the judge was not totally retarded as the rest of the people here and even if he decided that you are guilty, he knows that it's stupid to send you to jail for such a small case.

If not guilty you would have nothing to pay.

• Thanks 1