Grab prices! No thanks !

anon537687643

grab experience in vietnam

easy to get a car during peak traffic hours at the highest price but if you need a car for the same route during low demand time cheap price the cars will accept then cancel. i have seen them drive in circles to avoid coming to passenger. i have had up to 10 cars within the same hour pull this crap. the price is less off hour but they get to destination fast and dont lose time in traffic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Maybe it's different in Bangkok but in Chiang Mai Grab is great. That's because the alternative there is generally not a metered taxi but a tuk-tuk whose price will be set according to how much the driver thinks that he can get you to pay and who will justify the price by telling you that your destination is "very far" no matter where it is.

I agree .Grab is the best for Chaing Mai .I notice a more expensive tariff in other locations Pattaya for one . 

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

If Big C sells a bottle of beer for 30 baht and 711 sells the same beer for 35 baht, is 711 pulling a scam?

Big C probably buys cheaper in volume. 7-11 tends to be more expensive - it's a "convenience" story, ie nearby. I use 7-11 because it's only 2 min walk from my condo. Big C is 20 min, not worth the Bt 5 saving.

• Like 2

it also really depends on which grab option you choose. i’m usually very happy to pay a premium for a nice grab car, i would never book grab taxi, because thats just another shitty taxi. if its just money that matters to you than you should take a bus 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

If Big C sells a bottle of beer for 30 baht and 711 sells the same beer for 35 baht, is 711 pulling a scam?

No not a scam unless pricing is set and controlled. It’s what the market might beer I mean bare. At least you’d know the best place to buy beer. 

I find Grab prices in Bangkok generally a fair bit higher than a metered taxi. But I get picked up where I want, I know how much I’m paying and there are often promo codes to reduce the cost. Unless it’s getting towards double the meter price then I’m ok with paying a bit more for a Grab

9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I find Grab prices in Bangkok generally a fair bit higher than a metered taxi. But I get picked up where I want, I know how much I’m paying and there are often promo codes to reduce the cost. Unless it’s getting towards double the meter price then I’m ok with paying a bit more for a Grab

Considering how cheap taxi's still are (compared to some other countries), that in my eyes still makes it better (even if paying a bit more) than having to stand out in the heat and possibly waiting 10 - 15min, wondering if the next metered taxi will take you or reject you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2018 at 6:31 PM, markaoffy said:

271 baht to a destination in Bangkok of 25km at 6pm ,peak traffic.. return journey at 9pm quote price 296 baht.no traffic problem . Took taximeter 207 baht! RIp off Scam Grab Taxi Thailand ‬

Hmmmm....we're talking about a 90 baht difference one way....that's less than $3.00.....considering the convenience factor and haggling hassles especially with unscupulous taxi drivers that refuse to use the meter, I think it worth it unless your name is Charlie.....

6 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Maybe it's different in Bangkok but in Chiang Mai Grab is great. That's because the alternative there is generally not a metered taxi but a tuk-tuk whose price will be set according to how much the driver thinks that he can get you to pay and who will justify the price by telling you that your destination is "very far" no matter where it is.

Hmmm, I partially agree but this time last year my average journey by Grab was 40 baht, today it is 100 baht for the same journey!  The price hikes are going through the roof....soon I'll be on a Mobike.

Yes, there are always promotions but again these were 50 baht discount last year, now only 25 baht discount!

Bring back some competition like Uber.

Grab Taxi, booked via app is the same metered fare price as a taxi hailed on the road. The app will give an approx fare usually on the upper side. There is a 20bht booking fee for Grab on top of the fare. The flagfall is 35bht, same same, and the meter is the same as any taxi. You aren't paying any extra premium unless you book a Grab car, which is a private unmarked car with a fixed fare based on the app, and usually 10-20% higher than a Grab taxi.. I use Grab at least weekly, and with GPS technology it knows where to pick you up and your input destination.. I live in an area where taxis don't usually frequent, so Grab is convenient. If I hail another normal taxi for the return trip, the fare is the same depending on traffic conditions, except for the 20bht booking fee I pay Grab, only for online bookings. 

3 hours ago, balo said:

After UBER dissappeared no more competition and Grab can basically charge anything. So in Bangkok only taxi meter for me.

Yes fares have increased since Grab bought Uber but not hugely and as a frequent user I get lots of promos. At busy periods I might use a meter taxi but still mostly use Grab for the lack of potential hassle

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 8:06 AM, suzannegoh said:

I rode songthaews (sp?) in CM. You didn't mention that option. Definitely cheaper and better than tuk tuks. I would think Grab is can be more convenient but more expensive. But I never had a problem going to the YMCA by songthaew.

16 hours ago, gaff said:

Sorry but I didn't follow up, why is grab legal when uber had so many problems when it was here ?

and now all uber drivers became grab drivers ?!

The head of Softbank ( he has a $Billion to buy stuff) owns stakes in all of them and he orchestrated which company got which area so he could maximize his return on investment. Uber didn't completely leave SE Asia however because it got a stake in Grab. So Uber makes money when Grab does and in other areas Grab left but it got a part of Uber so it still makes money there. It is collusion for profit. Why did he do it? Because he could.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I rode songthaews (sp?) in CM. You didn't mention that option. Definitely cheaper and better than tuk tuks. I would think Grab is can be more convenient but more expensive. But I never had a problem going to the YMCA by songthaew.

Songthaews work well on the standard routes where you can just jump in the back and pay the standard rate.  But if you try to charter them to go someplace that they aren't going anyway, then the prices are set the same way as with tuk-tuks.

When baht bus won't do, I always call same taxi driver. Always fair. Service above and beyond the call of duty yesterday and I offered a big tip. He returned most of it by far and said, "Too much, this enough".

On 8/16/2018 at 2:13 AM, Fairynuff said:

Anyplace I need to go I can go by shanks mare or BTS/MRT boats etc. During peak times or during rain, its faster to go out of your way with mass transit than it is to sit in traffic.

Traffic is no-no, bad, evil. I dont come to Thailand to sit in traffic.  Taxi is fine late late at night unless you are coming from a "f-you falang got ya now" area like RCA at closing time when its pay it or walk, then hey, walk a few blocks and Grab......

I always manage to keep a few Taxi drivers on the stash for cool things necessary in life.....find the right one and you are gravy. 

• Like 1