Calling USA from Thailand for free

Instead of calling the U.S with +1-xxxxx, use 00500-1-(area code) -xxxxxx. I am not sure how it all works (maybe a different international phone company?), but it is incredibly cheap. Sometimes the quality isn't that great, but overall, a worthy option.

You can also use Skype, as others have mentioned. Calling a land line in the U.S. with Skype costs pennies. I call family and talk for hours.

Edited by scoutman360

There are quite a few options - I assume that you have reliable WiFi - or a robust mobile data plan?

Google Voice is probably the best option, but registration can be challenging if not currently in the U.S. It can be done, but maybe best to do it during a trip back or have a friend do it for you?

I have two GV numbers and use many features (SMS/text/email, voice calls, voicemail) both via a mobile and with a home VoIP adapter (oBi200, supports up to 4 GV/VoIP numbers).

I also use Talkatone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talkatone.android&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice

Both give you a free 10 digit number - you can often choose a preferred area code/exchange - and allow for both outgoing and incoming free calls. Most people in the U.S. on mobiles have unlimited calling so the area code is less of an issue. Obviously, if it is a toll call for them (from their area code to "yours"), then they would "pay" to call you, as an intra-US long-distance call. All calls ring through to Thailand and called/calling numbers get passed.

GV may still have some limitations re: SMS reception from bulk suppliers (which some banks might use for OTPs). I've yet to run across an issue receiving an OTP SMS via Talkatone.

There are quite a few other similar apps. - these are often displayed in the app stores as "similar apps".

I have some contacts who also use WhatsApp, or LINE, which makes things a bit simpler.

Edited by mtls2005

Another vote for MagicJack.  Hubby and I have had the same MagicJck U.S phone number for over 10 years and it's worked wonderfully.  Our credit union, credit cards and investment guy don't have any any problems when we use this number, which has the same area code as our Miami mail forwarding service.