U.S. attorney general issues order to speed up immigrant deportations

webfact

U.S. attorney general issues order to speed up immigrant deportations

2018-08-17T003820Z_1_LYNXMPEE7G00S_RTROPTP_4_USA-GUNS.JPG

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions takes part in a Federal Commission on School Safety meeting at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., August 16, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday sought to speed up the deportation of illegal immigrants, telling immigration judges they should only postpone cases in removal proceedings "for good cause shown."

Sessions, in an interim order that was criticized by some lawyers, said the "good-cause" standard "limits the discretion of immigration judges and prohibits them from granting continuances for any reason or no reason at all."

Unlike the federal judiciary system, U.S. immigration courts fall under the Department of Justice and the attorney general can intervene. Sessions, a Republican former U.S. Senator appointed by President Donald Trump, has been unusually active in this practice compared to his predecessors.

Sessions has led efforts by the Trump administration to crack down on illegal immigration, including a "zero tolerance" policy that separated immigrant parents from their children while they were in U.S. detention. Trump abandoned the separation policy in June under political pressure.

Critical in showing "good cause" is whether a person is likely to succeed in efforts to remain in the United States, either by appealing for asylum or receiving some form of visa or work permit, Sessions said on Thursday.

Stephen Kang, an attorney with the ACLU immigrants rights project, described Sessions' order as "troubling" and one of a series that "has moved in the direction of restricting due process rights for individuals who are in removal proceedings."

Kang said Sessions seemed to portray immigrants seeking more time to prepare their cases as trying to "game the system and avoid deportation."

Kang said removal proceedings were complex and people needed time "both to get lawyers to ensure that their due process rights are protected and time just to make sure their cases get a fair hearing."

The Justice Department has been struggling to reduce a backlog of deportation cases. An analysis by the Government Accountability Office last year found the number of cases that drag on from one year to the next more than doubled between 2006 and 2015, mainly because fewer cases are completed per year.

Department spokesman Devin O'Malley said more immigration judges had been hired, but "unnecessary and improper continuances ... continue to plague the immigration court system and contribute to the backlog."

Sessions said on Thursday that the "use of continuances as a dilatory tactic is particularly pernicious in the immigration context" because people in the country illegally who want to remain have an incentive to delay their deportation as long as possible.

Granting continuances solely for good cause would be an "important check on immigration judges' authority" and demonstrate public interest in "expeditious enforcement of the immigration laws," Sessions said.

(Reporting by David Alexander; editing by Leslie Adler and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-17

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

This was badly needed the judges seem to think they run the country now. 

The country comes first and should always be that way.

Illegals should be deported as fast possible and at little cost to the tax payer

Sounds fair enough to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tug said:

Just worked a 15 hour shift yesterday poured out a 372 yard floor on a project I’m on every man on that crew was Mexican hard working family men no American kids willing to work like that none at all 0 zip zilch nada etc ect....I don’t know if they were illeagle or not but I do know that people with that work ethic do make America great and I want them on my team!i despise draft dodging predatory conn men and their minions 

And I bet you there was not one bloody Muslim among them, work is a dirty word, only for their women. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Tug said:

Just worked a 15 hour shift yesterday poured out a 372 yard floor on a project I’m on every man on that crew was Mexican hard working family men no American kids willing to work like that none at all 0 zip zilch nada etc ect....I don’t know if they were illeagle or not but I do know that people with that work ethic do make America great and I want them on my team!i despise draft dodging predatory conn men and their minions 

America does not use metric yet huh?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Redline said:

You are suggesting getting rid of the judicial branch?

Immigration judges don't work for the judicial branch. They work for the Executive Branch under the US Attorney General. There have been attempts to move immigration judges to the judicial branch that would allow judicial independence from the AG and the POTUS.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Immigration judges don't work for the judicial branch. They work for the Executive Branch under the US Attorney General. There have been attempts to move immigration judges to the judicial branch that would allow judicial independence from the AG and the POTUS.

Yes, it would probably make more sense if it were changed.  They still have to work within the scope of federal and constitutional laws, if they even know how the navigate them

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, Redline said:

Yes, it would probably make more sense if it were changed.  They still have to work within the scope of federal and constitutional laws, if they even know how the navigate them

Perhaps an expert such as yourself should apply to teach them constitutional navigation. Oh wait, that's right, you thought they were part of the judicial branch, didn't you? ?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Perhaps an expert such as yourself should apply to teach them constitutional navigation. Oh wait, that's right, you thought they were part of the judicial branch, didn't you? ?

If they need help, I'm here for them.  My original point, and still is, was that they have to follow legal precedent~some people seem to forget that the executive branch is accountable to the other branches of government.  I guess you haven't been following the news ?

20 minutes ago, SinCityGr8One said:

I wonder why the bold headline above AG Sessions just has the word Immigrant alone and not the term ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT? Hmmm? A little political correctness at work?

Perhaps a nuance derived from the article.

First line of the article U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday sought to speed up the deportation of illegal immigrants

However, it is for the immigration judges to decide if refugee status is justified at least temporarily "for good cause" for an immigrant. If it is, the immigrant is not then illegal until the immigrant has been adjudicated legal or illegal.

So "illegal" in the literal sense but not in the "legal" sense.

PC isn't applied.