Advice regarding UK Visit application

Hey folks. 

A lot of good information here on this topic. I am looking my first visit visa for my thai gf towards the end of the year and have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help with.

I have started to familiarise myself with the visa4uk website but noticed you can also apply through the gov.uk - is there any difference or benefit to use one over the other?

I have noticed the implementation of these new barcode separators. So these must they be used now as part of the new scanning process?

I also read a bit further back on this topic about supporting documents and some people recommending taking the simple approach and only supplying core documents and not over complicating it. Could anyone give advice on the following documents to include them or not:

1. GF has changed here name - should i included this document along with English translation 

2. document that shows her residence - she doesn't own any land or house but proves where she stays

3. My parents will be providing accommodation - should i include a photocopy of their passport along with the host invite letter or is the not required

A lot of the documents i was going to include seem overkill when i look at the Visit visa: guide to supporting documents. Also if i am fully supporting her visit and not including any of her financial documents in the application do i still need to include the financial evidence barcode separator within the application.

Apologies for the vast questions but i just refuse to use a visa shop and know I more than have the capabilities to do this myself, just want to make sure i get it right.

Any guidance would be appreciated - thanks in advance

It's really up to your girlfriend how much evidence she supplies, it's her that has to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that her application is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, she will return home at the conclusion of her visit. It's really up to her to decide how much evidence to provide though it's worthy of note that if you're providing financial support you should evidence your ability to do so and your reasoning.

In answer to your specific questions:

I have noticed the implementation of these new barcode separators. So these must they be used now as part of the new scanning process? - It would seem so, but VFS might also supply them if needed.

1. GF has changed here name - should i included this document along with English translation  -  I would if only to be on the safe side, is it her first and second name? If she has passports in her previous name she should supply them as well.

2. document that shows her residence - she doesn't own any land or house but proves where she stays - Not everyone owns land or property, but she should certainly provide details of where she lives and her status there.

3. My parents will be providing accommodation - should i include a photocopy of their passport along with the host invite letter or is the not required - No need for copies of your parents passports, not everyone has a passport, just a note inviting her to stay for the duration of her holiday and a brief description of the accomodation available.

Thanks for moving the post and taking the time to respond to my questions - much appreciated!

I would if only to be on the safe side, is it her first and second name? If she has passports in her previous name she should supply them as well. - It was just a first name change and she does have a previous passport with this name which is cancelled and can be supplied as evidence. Will the hard copy need to be brought with the documents or just a photocopy?

Not everyone owns land or property, but she should certainly provide details of where she lives and her status there - Thanks.. now makes sense to supply this

No need for copies of your parents passports, not everyone has a passport, just a note inviting her to stay for the duration of her holiday and a brief description of the accomodation available - Perfect......i will just supply the invite letter along with a clear description and some photos.

Will it make a difference what website i use to complete the application (gov.uk vs visa4uk?)

Regards

8 hours ago, woad23 said:

I would if only to be on the safe side, is it her first and second name? If she has passports in her previous name she should supply them as well. - It was just a first name change and she does have a previous passport with this name which is cancelled and can be supplied as evidence. Will the hard copy need to be brought with the documents or just a photocopy? She should supply the original passports, ECO's need to see them for previous travel history, adverse or ok, as well as previous visas. I'm not sure how these are handled now the docs are scanned.

No need for copies of your parents passports, not everyone has a passport, just a note inviting her to stay for the duration of her holiday and a brief description of the accomodation available - Perfect......i will just supply the invite letter along with a clear description and some photos. No need to supply photos of the accomodation for a visit visa, photos are specifically excluded by the list of documents supplied  by the UKVI

Will it make a difference what website i use to complete the application (gov.uk vs visa4uk?) Use gov.uk, visa4uk is now for diplomats, officials or for those exempt from Immigration Controls.

One of the main things that was concentrated on when I brought my wife (gf at the time) to Canada the first time was there had to be compelling reasons she would return to Thailand at the end of her permission. We were tipped off to this prior and prepared accordingly. I know Canada doesn't follow all the U.K. requirements but I believe this 'need to return' aspect is important to a lot of western countries.

The 'need to return' aspect? What apart from the fact that they are Thai, Thailand is their country and is where their life , friends and family are? Give that up to freeze to death in the UK or Canada?  

Always thought it a very biased, insulting, arrogant concept to suggest that Thai's would want to stay. My missus has no wish whatsoever to live in the UK.

Always thought it a very biased, insulting, arrogant concept to suggest that Thai's would want to stay. My missus has no wish whatsoever to live in the UK.
Hold onto that concept, however the fact remains that Thai applicants, or indeed any applications from all visa nationals, have to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant will comply with UK Immigration Law and leave the UK at the conclusion of their visit, applicants needs to provide evidence to satisfy the ECO of that is the case.
Your wife may well not wish to live in the UK, but many more want to do so and will make fraudulent applications to achieve that aim, the ECO has to make a judgment on which category each applicant falls into.

12 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Hold onto that concept, however the fact remains that Thai applicants, or indeed any applications from all visa nationals, have to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant will comply with UK Immigration Law and leave the UK at the conclusion of their visit, applicants needs to provide evidence to satisfy the ECO of that is the case.
Your wife may well not wish to live in the UK, but many more want to do so and will make fraudulent applications to achieve that aim, the ECO has to make a judgment on which category each applicant falls into.

Really? Says who, git? I've been here almost 20 years and not met many too many Thai's who desire to live in the rainy old UK and certainly wouldn't break the law to do so, bit if you say so.

35 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

Really? Says who, git? I've been here almost 20 years and not met many too many Thai's who desire to live in the rainy old UK and certainly wouldn't break the law to do so, bit if you say so.

The weather is not relevant to their earning....?

I know a dozen Thai ladies in Suffolk who have no intention of hurrying back to Thailand; their income levels, and standard of living, are way above anything they could get back 'home'. Sure, they love Thailand and miss their families (in some cases their kids) but the aforementioned financial aspect plus LINE, FB, Messenger et al seems to adequate compensation.

I think another factor is at what age you take your Teerak to your home country - several people I know did it in their 30's (wife/GF's 20's). That suited the Farang very well because he could keep earning whilst having his sweetheart with him - she also earning decent money from local employment. 

I have turned 60, and have no need to work, so I would not dream of living in the UK with my partner - longer holidays perhaps but not re-settling to a UK lifestyle.

The economic attraction of the UK is very strong for a Thai; they might hate the food and the climate - possibly even the people -  but money has always been a prime motivator in their decision making process.

Only this week I was chewing the cud with a massage lady. She realised that, at 32 years of age, she had only got 3 or 4 'good years in her' and she was desperate to get to the UK where, as we know, the streets are paved with gold.......

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

The weather is not relevant to their earning....?

I know a dozen Thai ladies in Suffolk who have no intention of hurrying back to Thailand; their income levels, and standard of living, are way above anything they could get back 'home'. Sure, they love Thailand and miss their families (in some cases their kids) but the aforementioned financial aspect plus LINE, FB, Messenger et al seems to adequate compensation.

I think another factor is at what age you take your Teerak to your home country - several people I know did it in their 30's (wife/GF's 20's). That suited the Farang very well because he could keep earning whilst having his sweetheart with him - she also earning decent money from local employment. 

I have turned 60, and have no need to work, so I would not dream of living in the UK with my partner - longer holidays perhaps but not re-settling to a UK lifestyle.

The economic attraction of the UK is very strong for a Thai; they might hate the food and the climate - possibly even the people -  but money has always been a prime motivator in their decision making process.

Only this week I was chewing the cud with a massage lady. She realised that, at 32 years of age, she had only got 3 or 4 'good years in her' and she was desperate to get to the UK where, as we know, the streets are paved with gold.......

Yes, disagree. I'm sticking to my own beliefs and experiences that over a period of 20 years I've never come across a Thai woman who overstayed in the UK. I actually know 2 Thai woman who have recently spent six months in the UK, both on them come back after 6 months and they both said they won't go back, and yes they both DID say it was far too cold.

1 hour ago, Maradona 10 said:

Yes, disagree. I'm sticking to my own beliefs and experiences that over a period of 20 years I've never come across a Thai woman who overstayed in the UK. I actually know 2 Thai woman who have recently spent six months in the UK, both on them come back after 6 months and they both said they won't go back, and yes they both DID say it was far too cold.

Not sure Thai women who have overstayed in UK would speak about it to total strangers.

As mentioned by one poster, these rules are not exclusive to Thai applications but rather all applications.

15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Not sure Thai women who have overstayed in UK would speak about it to total strangers.

As mentioned by one poster, these rules are not exclusive to Thai applications but rather all applications.

The point is I've been here nearly 20 years and I get out and about, yet in all that time I've never heard of a friends gf, gf's friend, their butlers, sex slave, etc etc...never once heard of a Thai woman who has overstayed in the UK.

Do you know of any?

15 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

The point is I've been here nearly 20 years and I get out and about, yet in all that time I've never heard of a friends gf, gf's friend, their butlers, sex slave, etc etc...never once heard of a Thai woman who has overstayed in the UK.

Do you know of any?

Yes, but then I have been here over 20 years so I guess that gives me an edge. 555

I also lived in the UK for over 20 years. Knew some there too and not just Thai people.

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

In practical terms it is called "risk assessment or risk profiling"

In real terms it's called prejudice or racist. Each application should be judged on it's individual merit, not on what counrty the applicant was born in.

Each application is judged on its merits but the level of scrutiny and 'trust' will vary depending on the country of residence. This is generally based on behaviour of previous applicants.

A history of people overstaying will increase the risk judgement. Not really racist or prejudice, just learning from previous experience.

On 8/19/2018 at 5:34 AM, theoldgit said:

She should supply the original passports, ECO's need to see them for previous travel history, adverse or ok, as well as previous visas. I'm not sure how these are handled now the docs are scanned. That is fine. She has her old passport with her old name and can be supplied. She did have a passport before this one which has is lost. I have made reference to this in my supporting letter as it contained Visa information on a trip she made to europe over 2 years ago. The travel dates will be given during the application but unfortunately no passport.

No need to supply photos of the accomodation for a visit visa, photos are specifically excluded by the list of documents supplied  by the UKVI. I can leave that out. That would mean only just providing the visit letter. In the new barcode separators under sponsor there is a an example for saying sponsor proof of accommodation so will put there. However there is another individual barcode saying accommodation - that was where i was thinking photos could go but do see that it is not recommended. 

Although it says photos should not be supplied in the Visitor: supporting documents guide - almost everyone always sends in photographs of holidays together to help prove relationship history and travelling together etc... thoughts on this?

Use gov.uk, visa4uk is now for diplomats, officials or for those exempt from Immigration Controls. Perfect. I started to go through the visa4uk application so will have a look at the gov.uk one, I'm assuming it can't be too different.

Do i need to provide a copy of my thai entry stamps or is a photocopy of my main passport page enough? I have read mixed views on this?

My wife recently applied for  a visitor's visa for UK. The application date was 11th July 2018. This was her first application. She provided; a letter from herself explaining she is self employed, this was backed up with copies of 3 months of her bank statements showing money going in on 1st of each month and a copy of the chanote to show the house is in her name. A letter from me explaining that I would sponsor her during her stay, backed by a copy of my UK bank statement and a copy of photo page of my passport. A letter from my parents saying she would be staying with them at no cost. She also attached a copy of our marriage certificate to prove our relation ship. Her passport was returned with visa attached in 13 working days.

I hope this helps.

My wife recently applied for  a visitor's visa for UK. The application date was 11th July 2018. This was her first application. She provided; a letter from herself explaining she is self employed, this was backed up with copies of 3 months of her bank statements showing money going in on 1st of each month and a copy of the chanote to show the house is in her name. A letter from me explaining that I would sponsor her during her stay, backed by a copy of my UK bank statement and a copy of photo page of my passport. A letter from my parents saying she would be staying with them at no cost. She also attached a copy of our marriage certificate to prove our relation ship. Her passport was returned with visa attached in 13 working days.

I hope this helps.

Yes it does, thanks for posting.

I’m not married to the gf so what would be a good way to prove the relationship, seems like photos are not wanted ?, or did I read that wrong ?

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’m not married to the gf so what would be a good way to prove the relationship, seems like photos are not wanted ?, or did I read that wrong ?

You're correct, photos are not acceptable.

You say your location is Thailand in your profile and you seem to be posting from here, if you live here provide proof of your living arrangements, if you visit on a regular basis provide details of your entries into Thailand.

The most important thing is for your girlfriend to prove she has strong ties here.

5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You're correct, photos are not acceptable.

You say your location is Thailand in your profile and you seem to be posting from here, if you live here provide proof of your living arrangements, if you visit on a regular basis provide details of your entries into Thailand.

The most important thing is for your girlfriend to prove she has strong ties here.

Okay thanks for the reply.

Yes I live here 3 years and live with the gf.

She doesn’t work but has a house, bank account, some land and a couple of bin lids so I think that should be okay ?.

Probably thinking about next June/July time, don’t think she’s ready for a British winter !!

On 8/19/2018 at 10:13 AM, Maradona 10 said:

My wife loves the English weather.

My first Thai girlfriend who I met running a Thai restaurant locally turned out to be an overstayer. She came to the UK on a student visa and didn’t go home. We spent three years together and I found out that she had overstayed a few weeks after we went our separate ways. She loved it here. So yes I have first hand experience of it and I've met a quite a few Thais working in local restaurants who have come to stay with family and haven't gone home. You can stick to your own beliefs if you like but they are not accurate.

As far as the OP's question. Show proof of relationship, sufficient funds for the trip and reasons to return to Thailand and all should be fine.

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Probably thinking about next June/July time, don’t think she’s ready for a British winter !!

I thought that and my wife (then girlfriend) came here in July 2015. After her trip she returned for Christmas and she loves the English weather,  and the change of seasons. She also loves the snow and our trip to Iceland, snowmobiling, skating on frozen lakes and horse riding in the snow was one of the high points of her life. The trick is wear three or four thin layers in the winter and that way she is never cold. She will struggle with the heat of Thailand now. She found the 30 degree heat this summer too much.

Hi folks

The question on the gov.uk application that asks how much are you planning to spend on your visit to the uk (including flights ,accommodation and everyday expenses etc). If I am sponsoring the trip and paying for these things will i put the figure as 0? 

I have read before that on some applications people have stated a figure for this and when no evidence has been supported to show sufficient funds for the girl applications have been declined.

There is another asking about dependents that need financial support. she does have a little girl who is mentioned in my support letter that she takes care etc. Will i have to put yes for this or would it be better saying no that she doesnt need support during her trip to the uk. I didn't see this question on the visa4uk process. 

Archived