Video: You might want to avoid double parking after seeing this!

rooster59

last year I've picked up my sister at the airport BKK. it took me 40 mins to find a proper parking spot. After we was coming back somebody was parking in the aisle in front of me with the car in gear and the parking brake atouched. We couldn't leave for the next 3 hours until this guy was coming back. one of those parking assistances asked him, why he didn't leave the car in nutral. without any comment he started his car and left.
lucky for him, I didn't drove my old pickup otherwise I had pushed my way free. But now all these new cars with plastic all around, I would have damaged more on my own.
my wife was really pissed, she has called him many animal names.
this year I've told my sister fly to Ubon Ratchathani or Buri Ram, I'm not any more a city slicker. it is also much shorter to drive for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I refuse to double park. I don't trust people pushing my car around, and I don't like leaving it in neutral with no brake. I have no problem going elsewhere if I can't park.

Me too. Big C C/Rai it is the same in the underground car park.  I park outside in the rain , 1 minute and you are inside , too easy ?  Of course it is but loss of face walking in the rain for most Thais.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ulic said:

Going against the grain here but I have no sympathy for those who double park leaving

properly parked cars blocked in. I don't know about this Dude. If it was a condo with 

assigned parking and he could not get to his spot because of double parked cars. 

Fair play. 

I agree with your point but would never use my own car as a bumper car.

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Me too. Big C C/Rai it is the same in the underground car park.  I park outside in the rain , 1 minute and you are inside , too easy ?  Of course it is but loss of face walking in the rain for most Thais.

I invariably park outside Central Udon, at the nearby PTT or the external car park, it is only a short walk. 5 minutes after opening most levels are already double parking. When I do venture inside, usually because the wife insists, I will go straight up to level 5. it is empty most of the day, and like other levels it has a lift attached.

16 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I refuse to double park. I don't trust people pushing my car around, and I don't like leaving it in neutral with no brake. I have no problem going elsewhere if I can't park.

That's right. Go to any big mall in Bangkok and see cars double parked near the entrance while scores of spaces stay empty at the back of the car park.

Why walk an extra 50 meters when you can double park. I guess they like to save that little bit of energy for their shopping experience.

Oh......and look. There's an empty disabled parking space near the entrance. Perfect. In like flint as bold as brass. Not even a fake limp needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ulic said:

Going against the grain here but I have no sympathy for those who double park leaving

properly parked cars blocked in. I don't know about this Dude. If it was a condo with 

assigned parking and he could not get to his spot because of double parked cars. 

Fair play. 

I agree. The other owners leave the cars in neutral so they can be moved. He moved them so what is the problem?  By the actions of the car owners leaving in neutral and tires straight they are obliging people to move them if necessary.

What did he do wrong under these rules that are understood by users?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ulic said:

Fair play. 

Save your disdain.

That's perfectly accepted in many BKK complexes with more cars than parking spots.  I have a friend who needs to make an appointment 2-3 days in advance if she wants to take her car out of her apartment parking lot.   The lot attendant then has to move a bunch of cars around so she can get hers out.  Everyone leaves their car in neutral to facilitate it, and nobody is dismayed when it happens.  It's just part of life in a $2-300 a month condo in a major city.  Sure, they could get their own spot in that $1,000+ a month apartment.  But that's the trade-off and many are perfectly content with it. 

There are no assigned spots, and you may park your car on one spot and find it across the lot when you come back to it.   But you can afford the rent, even on a Thai salary.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

OCD dude. I'm impressed with his ability to improvise and maneuver vehicles, especially his. I'm also amazed by how many left their cars in neutral with the parking brake off. Or maybe I'm not amazed since this is Thailand.

When you double park rule is to leave the car in neutral so it can be easily moved.

Have you not lived in Thailand?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

OCD dude. I'm impressed with his ability to improvise and maneuver vehicles, especially his. I'm also amazed by how many left their cars in neutral with the parking brake off. Or maybe I'm not amazed since this is Thailand.

Not amazed as it's standard practice to double park & leave it in neutral with the brake off or half on... so that it can be moved...

• Thanks 1

To those who find this very common practice unacceptable, and whose solution is to "go elsewhere" when they find conditions that don't meet their high western standards, you're going to miss out on a lot of what Thailand has to offer.  

Go with the flow and you won't need as many antacids.  Except for the spicy food.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When you double park rule is to leave the car in neutral so it can be easily moved.

Have you not lived in Thailand?

More than ten solid years in Bangkok. However, I don't get involved here with any type of motor vehicles at all, except when they are obstacles (more likely threats) to my cycling or the very rare instances when I take a taxi. Besides having a serve case of "motorcycle disease", Bangkok also, obviously, has a serious case of "excessive motor vehicle syndrome". I encounter carelessly and irresponsibly parked cars and trucks every day even on the sidewalks, but I don't attempt to relocate them. ?

An unassuming soul without a hint of impertinence are you?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not amazed as it's standard practice to double park & leave it in neutral with the brake off or half on... so that it can be moved...

Many automatic cars can't be left in Neutral... Need to put it to Park to be able to remove the ignition key, but I'm sure the idiots that drive these cars and double park don't care about others.

Best not to park where there is a risk of double parking blocking you in, even if it means a short walk in the rain..

19 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Many automatic cars can't be left in Neutral... Need to put it to Park to be able to remove the ignition key, but I'm sure the idiots that drive these cars and double park don't care about others.

Best not to park where there is a risk of double parking blocking you in, even if it means a short walk in the rain..

Because the rate of increase in the number of cars in Thailand (especially BKK) far outstrips the increase in the number of parking spots, double parking is a well accepted fact of life in many locations.  You just can't avoid a double parking situation if you want to drive yourself to a lot of venues.

Calling people out as idiots for doing what's widely accepted locally smacks of the Bwana complex.

The best thing to do is to learn how life works where you're living it, adjust your expectations to the reality on the ground, and then go with the flow.  Learning to deal with double parking is just one skillset that improves the Thailand experience.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, impulse said:

Because the rate of increase in the number of cars in Thailand (especially BKK) far outstrips the increase in the number of parking spots, double parking is a well accepted fact of life in many locations.  You just can't avoid a double parking situation if you want to drive yourself to a lot of venues.

Calling people out as idiots for doing what's widely accepted locally smacks of the Bwana complex.

The best thing to do is to learn how life works where you're living it, adjust your expectations to the reality on the ground, and then go with the flow.  Learning to deal with double parking is just one skillset that improves the Thailand experience.

So you think it's perfectly acceptable to block someone in by double parking, and leaving your car in "Park"....?  Just because you can't be bothered to walk to a better suited space.  Serious question..

I have no objection to someone double parking as it is sometimes necessary !!
I had to do it at Immigration one time and had to put a brick under the wheel to stop it rolling !

But, I do take objection to people who double park when it is blatantly unnecessary, these people do so at their own risk and should not get upset when they have scratches on their bonnets/hoods from rings or when their front or rear bumpers become dented or chipped !!

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

So you think it's perfectly acceptable to block someone in by double parking, and leaving your car in "Park"....?  Just because you can't be bothered to walk to a better suited space.  Serious question..

It doesn't matter what you or I think.   We're on Rome.  (metaphorically speaking)

Edit:  I'd like to think anyone doing so would buy one of these phone number placards specifically for the purpose...

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=parking number&location=local

Edited by impulse