Truck driver blames reckless tourist for motorbike slam

rooster59

Truck driver blames reckless tourist for motorbike slam

By Eakkapop Thongtub

image.jpg

The tourist suffered serious injuries to his right knee. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Police are investigating an accident at the entrance to Surin Beach yesterday (Aug 17) after a heavy dual-rear-axle crane truck failed to brake in time to avoid hitting a tourist riding a motorbike.

The accident occurred at the entrance to Surin Beach at about 4:50pm.

At the scene officers found the tourist, who they later named as Rajif Defnani, from India, on the ground. He was wearing a helmet at the time but suffered concussion, facial injuries and a large gaping gash to his right knee.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/truck-driver-blames-reckless-tourist-for-motorbike-slam-68293.php#UMklMdb3e0UcJWjk.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-18

After a motorcycle accident eight years ago with an operation that went completely wrong, I can only assume how well the poor guy's injuries will be treated. I'd have thought that there were witnesses? If the Indian drove out, there's no way a heavy truck can break in time. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

A heavy truck does take longer to stop

Truck brakes are pretty darned  good and either way they should  allow  more  room. Driver training here NON EXISTANT along with maintenance, concentration brain power etc

3 minutes ago, kannot said:

Truck driver too  close...............normal.

Should be able to stop for any reason behind other vehicles etc if he hit the bike he was  too  close even if  the tourist gave no signals and just decided to stop.

Not necessarily true if the truck driver wasn't lying. 

At the scene the truck driver, Wichitchai Perngporphan, 44, told police that he was driving from Patong back to the company office of Chockchai Kreuasant Co Ltd in Baan Manik when the accident happened.

Mr Wichitchai said that while driving down the hill toward Bang Tao, the tourist pulled out from the beach entrance and cut across the front of his truck.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/truck-driver-blames-reckless-tourist-for-motorbike-slam-68293.php#VTEJJVmcVOlls1LV.99

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

Not necessarily true if the truck driver wasn't lying. 

At the scene the truck driver, Wichitchai Perngporphan, 44, told police that he was driving from Patong back to the company office of Chockchai Kreuasant Co Ltd in Baan Manik when the accident happened.

Mr Wichitchai said that while driving down the hill toward Bang Tao, the tourist pulled out from the beach entrance and cut across the front of his truck.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/truck-driver-blames-reckless-tourist-for-motorbike-slam-68293.php#VTEJJVmcVOlls1LV.99

theres  always exceptions. I wonder if he was in a low gear and not riding the brakes as  well?

Edited by kannot

9 minutes ago, kannot said:

Truck brakes are pretty darned  good and either way they should  allow  more  room. Driver training here NON EXISTANT along with maintenance, concentration brain power etc

You can't use a good quality truck from a European country as an example of how fast a truck can stop. Please look at all the TATA and other trucks here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

I've never heard of a Thai driver accepting responsibility for an accident as all accidents are either caused by someone else or by a mechanical defect.  Like the boy who cried, "Wolf", it's sorta difficult to believe.  But considering that the truck driver didn't run away, it could actually be true. 

Have you ever heard of a Thai person in general who admitted that he, or she had made a mistake? And I'd even include my own wife I'm married to for 16 years. It's always somebody else to blame, the loss of face is ridiculous, especially when people have to lie, to save face. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

A heavy truck does take longer to stop,especially if loaded,that said,and not being racist,a Thai driver and an Indian driver,two countries not renowned for their driving skills.

In most (civilized) countries the law states that hitting somebody from the rear is the fault of the hitting driver and it is his responsibility as to the distance it takes to stop.

Edited by AsiaHand

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

A heavy truck does take longer to stop,especially if loaded,that said,and not being racist,a Thai driver and an Indian driver,two countries not renowned for their driving skills.

A Hindu recently drove an 18 wheeler into a bus carrying a hockey team in Canada- killing 16 young people

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

You can't use a good quality truck from a European country as an example of how fast a truck can stop. Please look at all the TATA and other trucks here. 

why not? im showing how fast a truck "can"  stop, if  I was  showing not how  fast a truck can stop then id  show a Thai truck

Edited by kannot

5 hours ago, kannot said:

theres  always exceptions. I wonder if he was in a low gear and not riding the brakes as  well?

I experience almost every day that motorbike and car drivers drive out of a small Soi, almost invisible. Yes' many truck drivers shouldn't be behind a wheel, but some of them are good drivers. It's not only about the driving skills, it's also about the maintenance of trucks. And we all know that this doesn't exist here. They only do something when the truck has got bigger problems. sad, but true. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I guess you didn't read the article. The tourist entered fro a beach side road. He was not

traveling in front of the truck going in the same direction.

yes i read it, just  commenting in general

• Confused 1

Bottom line 90 percent of all drivers in thailand motorbike or car are insane. I am surprised the numbers are not higher for road fatality.

Every single day is a crap shoot if some psycho is going to wipe you out.

None of these drivers would be on the streets in a civilized country.

Since thailand has the number 1 spot already for road death ,there should be no where to go but up. But i think its just going to continue all the way to hell.

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

I guess you didn't read the article. The tourist entered fro a beach side road. He was not

traveling in front of the truck going in the same direction.

Don't disturb with the wording from the article :biggrin:

Cutting in from a side road (especially left turn) without any care: the Indian has assimilated quickly.

• Haha 1

Is it possible that some members do not understand what accident really means? 

ac·ci·dent
ˈaksədənt/
noun

1. 1.
    an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
    "he had an accident at the factory"
    synonyms: mishap, misadventure, unfortunate incident, mischance, misfortune, disaster, tragedy, catastrophe, calamity; 
    technical casualty
    "an accident at work" 
Edited by jenny2017

8 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

AS well as , Hino, Mitsubishi Fuso,  Isuzu, Scania Volvo,, Mercedes Benz.,  Unfortunately another tourist lacking driving skills and awareness.. 

Mr Wichitchai said that while driving down the hill toward Bang Tao, the tourist pulled out from the beach entrance and cut across the front of his truck.   He said he was unable to brake in time to avoid hitting the motorbike."

A heavy crane truck versus a scooter. Indian tourist very lucky.

• Like 1

What is it they say  -"He who wins, gets to write the history."

The guy lying on the road bleeding from head and leg injuries didn't give his version of the accident. It could be completely different from that of the truck driver.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 6:51 AM, Whip said:

A Hindu recently drove an 18 wheeler into a bus carrying a hockey team in Canada- killing 16 young people

You cannot compare the two collisions because they took place in two completely different countries and under completely different circumstances.  Even the weather conditions here in Canada can make it very difficult and so can the vegetation at the crossroads where the Canadian collision took place. The investigation into the situation has still not been completed but I believe the driver is being charged although he was released on bail pending the outcome of the investigation.  Incidentally, apparently there was a collision at the same location a few years ago and the local authorities were told to clear the shrubbery and remove tree limbs but failed to do so correctly/completely thus leaving it difficult for drivers to have a clear view.  The roads were clear of snow, the weather was good and sunny at the time but nobody knows exactly what happened although the semi was in the crossing when the collision took place.  For more info check Humboldt Broncos Hockey team collision, April 2018 on Google.

Edited by wotsdermatter
more relevant material added