Foul stench of sewage in black-water canal spurs Phuket hotel wastewater inspections

rooster59

Foul stench of sewage in black-water canal spurs Phuket hotel wastewater inspections 

By The Phuket News

1534573650_1-org.jpg

Tourists look on as workers clear the sand so that the filthy black water, reeking of sewage, can flow freely into the sea. Photo: Kamala OrBorTor

PHUKET: Outcry by local residents has spurred Phuket officials into dredging a canal in Kamala, on Phuket’s west coast, that has turned stagnant with the black water reeking of the foul stench of sewage so it can flow freely into the sea.

Work began on clearing the canal, which empties directly onto Kamala Beach, yesterday (Aug 17) after the Phuket Provincial Office of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MNRE) and Kamala Tamabon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) received a slew of complaints through the ‘Pineapple Eyes’ community Line Group.

The group acts a community watchdog for atrocious acts of pollution across the island. (See here.)

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/foul-stench-of-sewage-in-black-water-canal-spurs-phuket-hotel-wastewater-inspections-68297.php#QfURU7wB5ETRhrJ4.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-19

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

That´s great! I guess a normal waste water sevage system is out of the question. Now all the tourists and residents of Phuket, really feel the need to swim.

...and take a deep breathe at the beaches fake-rated No. 2 worldwide.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 2

I went past Friday afternoon- it was rancid. This is next to the two 'thump-thump' beach clubs and the huge new development being constructed at the north end of Kamala. They also managed to cut a water pipe the other day, depriving part of Kamala from its water supply. I had video footage at one point of the beach club construction pumping directly into the canal but the old phone blew up and I lost it.

Progress and profit- gotta love it!

@Pinot will be along shortly I'm sure!

Edited by Psimbo

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

PHUKET: Outcry by local residents has spurred Phuket officials into dredging a canal in Kamala, on Phuket’s west coast, that has turned stagnant with the black water reeking of the foul stench of sewage so it can flow freely into the sea.

I've posted this on Facebook so that anyone who is thinking of swimming in the clear, pristine waters shown by TAT can know what they really face.

Not defending Kamala, never swam there, no plans to do so.

But I have to laugh at the indignation, horror and hypocrisy some posters express when a bit of sewage flows to the ocean.

News for you, it happens nearly everywhere around the planet! Are you aware cruise ships dump an estimated BILLION gallons into the oceans every year? 

The part I find humorously ironic is that usually these critics come from Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Two of the most air polluted places on the planet!

If there are a few turds floating around on one beach because of a spill, Phuket has about 35 more pristine beaches, and hundreds of beautiful Islands to go to.  Alternatively we can swim in the pool or enjoy the crisp clean ocean air at a beachside bar or restaurant. (Away from the sewage outlet!)  An infinitely better lifestyle than cowering indoors, or choking on cancer inducing, air borne pollutants in your cities. Plan your holidays elsewhere, if you can find somewhere you're not scared of, you're not needed, we have plenty of Chinese.

Bangkok.

choke.png 

Edited by Old Croc

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So if ur sigarette butt lands in there then u will pay 100k for polluting?

Nope- you'll just spontaneously combust from the noxious gases emanating from the 'sweetwater canal' as they ignite.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Not defending Kamala, never swam there, no plans to do so.

But I have to laugh at the indignation, horror and hypocrisy some posters express when a bit of sewage flows to the ocean.

News for you, it happens nearly everywhere around the planet! Are you aware cruise ships dump an estimated BILLION gallons into the oceans every year? 

The part I find humorously ironic is that usually these critics come from Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Two of the most air polluted places on the planet!

If there are a few turds floating around on one beach because of a spill, Phuket has about 35 more pristine beaches, and hundreds of beautiful Islands to go to.  Alternatively we can swim in the pool or enjoy the crisp clean ocean air at a beachside bar or restaurant. (Away from the sewage outlet!)  An infinitely better lifestyle than cowering indoors, or choking on cancer inducing, air borne pollutants in your cities.

Plan your holidays elsewhere, if you can find somewhere you're not scared of, you're not needed, we have plenty of Chinese. Sad!

Bangkok.

choke.png 

Clearly not- the stench was apparent from 50m away but I guess that because other places are worse off that makes it OK does it?

People in Kamala DO have to put up with it- I'll stand by for the stock 'well you can always move if you don't like it' cop-out.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1