A rat found in a bag of fermented fish

webfact

A rat found in a bag of fermented fish

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__30646384-1024x768-1.jpg

Phuket consumer protection officials inspected Phuket’s main department store in Rassada after a customer found a dead rat inside a packet of Thai fermented fish (Pla ra) products.

A team of officials from the Office, headed by Somnuek Halem, inspected the large department store in Rassada after the news had already gone viral in social media.

Officials found that all the fermented fish bags had already been removed from the shelves of the main store and other branches.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/a-rat-found-in-a-bag-of-fermented-fish

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-20

16 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

That's nothing.

The missus showed me a clip on her Faecesbook news page feed about a dish of yellow curry served up with a condom in it.

Whether new or used I couldn't tell...

You mean it was not in foil ?  Maybe the curry vendor had an offer on - Buy one stop one free

Consumer Protection pull ‘pla ra’ off Phuket shelves after rat carcass found

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1534762196_1-org.jpg

Head of the Phuket Consumer Protection Office, Somnuk Harem, and other officials carry out there inspection of the well-known local supermarket. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- The Phuket Consumer Protection Office today ordered all bags of fermented fish, ‘pla ra’ in Thai, be removed from the shelves of all stores of a well-known local supermarket after one customer found a rat carcass inside one of the bags.

Head of the Phuket Consumer Protection Office, Somnuk Harem, today (Aug 20) visited the main branch of the well-known supermarket following photos of the rat carcass in a bag of pla ra circulated on social media.

Mr Somnuk, who declined to name the store in question, together with other officials inspected 26 bags of pla ra and told the supermarket manager to take all bags of the traditional northeastern Thai seasoning off of the selves in all of the supermarket’s outlets.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/consumer-protection-pull-pla-ra-off-phuket-shelves-after-rat-carcass-found-68316.php#bz00COpLJsfJgpgi.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-8-20

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Off topic - but I was wondering what the Phuket Consumer Protection officials have done to earn all those medals.

My thoughts exactly...

Maybe these are like the badges boys scouts get - a medal for a dead rat in pla ra, another for a rotten snake in som dtam, and a big one for an old condom in tom yam. I mean, this explains why there are so many.

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, it doesn't.  The BBC's article is not about pla ra, it is about koi plaa!

I'll give you that technicality, but the deal is the same for bla ra. The same liver flukes as koi bla. They survive the fermentation process.

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

I'll give you that technicality, but the deal is the same for bla ra. The same liver flukes as koi bla. They survive the fermentation process.

Nonsense.  And it wasn't a "technicality", you were talking about something completely different!

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Nonsense.  And it wasn't a "technicality", you were talking about something completely different!

Plenty of stories over the years about the connection of bla ra and liver cancer by means over liver flukes. But I am not going to bother looking them up.  

14 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Plenty of stories over the years about the connection of bla ra and liver cancer by means over liver flukes. But I am not going to bother looking them up.  

You'd be wasting your time anyway, there have been no reports of cancer links caused by river flukes in pla ra.  There have, though, been many related to the consumption of raw fish, which is very different from pla ra. 

Since this thread appears dead I will make one more post since you seem so determined to be wrong.

Here's what the Chonburi Cancer center had to say about pla ra and cancer.

Link

Dr. Sutat Duangdeeden was the lead speaker at the center’s 8th annual cancer seminar at the A-One Royal Cruise Hotel.

Sutat said rates of deaths caused by cancer in Thailand have increased in recent years with 60,000 cases now reported annually. Fatality rates also are increasing.

While he noted that causes of cancer vary, Thais’ love of “pla ra” or raw fish used in somtam, as well as other undercooked foods are responsible for increased rates of worm infections, which can lead to liver cancer.

Archived