Thai Whiskeys

Duaned

7 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Personally, I'll stick to a decent Ya Dong.

Satisfying...

Just checked it out on google as I've never heard of it before, it says "infused with anything from medicinal herbs to dead cobras, must have hell of a bite. ?

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Just checked it out on google as I've never heard of it before, it says "infused with anything from medicinal herbs to dead cobras, must have hell of a bite. ?

Might add that for everyone that makes a batch there's a different manner in which to create this lovely elixir - distinctly variable. 

The best and traditional Dong is attached to real home brew Lao Khao, less the commercial crap that is akin to petrol. 

On 8/25/2018 at 8:20 PM, toofarnorth said:

And Sangsom is rum not whisky.

I have not tried Black Cock with coke as it is just fine on its own.

So Duaned try Black Cock and let us know what you think . Suggest you start with a small one , if you like it you can have a stiff one straight up.

or you could even try a small white Russian.  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

14 hours ago, The manic said:

Sangsom is much understand and much maligned by snobs. It is what it is and it's pretty good

Agree , a pretty good rum and my local off licence has a batch of 18 yo SS , 160B . I doubt the 18 yo makes any difference but the price is right.

Bought a bottle of Bells and a bottle of Sang Som, the Bells smelled more like whiskey and tasted better IMO. The Bells does have embossed on the bottle 'distilled, blended and bottled in Scotland.'

The Black Cock is an Australian Whiskey and according to google it's made from the finest malt, where-as the Thai equivalent is made from rice.

Edited by vogie

What makes a whiskey bourbon?
The law. While knocking back a dram of bourbon is a decidedly carefree exercise, making it is exceedingly technical and requires that the whiskey meet a rigid set of criteria. The Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isn't bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.) The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. (Most often these barrels are white oak, but they can be any variety of oak.) If you distill a whiskey in your kitchen that meets all of these standards, congrats, you've made bourbon. Also, you've broken the law; the ATF is probably outside your house right now.

Things get a bit more complicated than that, though. If you want to call your bourbon "straight bourbon," you have to age it for at least two years in the barrel. If you age it for less than four years, you have to put an age statement somewhere on the bottle telling folks just how long you aged it. Thus, when you pick up a bottle of straight bourbon that doesn't explicitly say how old it is (think Jim Beam white label), you're probably getting sauce that's at least four years old, but probably not much older.

Bourbon can only be made in Kentucky, right?
Nope, but it's a common misconception. "Kentucky straight bourbon" can only be made in the Bluegrass State, but a handful of other bourbon distilleries are sprinkled around the country. Among them, Tuthilltown Spirits in New York makes its own Hudson Baby Bourbon, which is aged for just three months, and A. Smith Bowman Distillery of Virginia makes, among other products, a yummy 90-proof small batch bourbon under its Virginia Gentleman label. As long as it meets the base criteria to be bourbon, it's bourbon, no matter where it's produced.

Ethan Trex

If you want real Bourbon Travel to Singapore and pick up a bottle at the airport. I recommend "Woodford Reserve." A liter should set you back about 60.$ US.   Its made in the gentle rolling hills of Woodford county Kentucky about 20 miles from where I'm living now.

• Like 1