Thai Whiskeys

Duaned

Was wondering if there was any type sour mash or Bourbon type Thai whiskies to drink with coke 0 rot gut is fine with the same distinct taste any brand is fine most all are mostly like seagrams 7 I admit very smooth

On 8/21/2018 at 7:38 AM, Oxx said:

I believe all Thai "whiskies" are actually rum - made from molasses (sugar), perhaps with a tiny bit of rice.  Don't think you'll find anything akin to a proper whisk(e)y.

Wrong about Thai whiskey.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, car720 said:

Hong Thong is ok or 285.

True that. Tastes fine just with ice and soda and maybe a splash of coke as well.

I remember Regency being quite nice. But it's a bit pricey compared to Blend 285 and not really worth the extra I think.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Please elaborate.

Sang Som and Mekong are indeed rum types while Blend 285 and Hong Thong are whiskeys even though Hong Thong might have some rum in it.Blend is a mix of Thai spirits and whiskey from Scotland.

1 hour ago, AsiaHand said:

Blend 285 and Hong Thong are whiskeys even though Hong Thong might have some rum in it.Blend is a mix of Thai spirits and whiskey from Scotland.

Since when does a blend of rum or Thai spirits with a splash of Scotch constitute "whisk(e)y".

There is no such thing as Thai whisk(e)y.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Sangsom is ok.

And Sangsom is rum not whisky.

I have not tried Black Cock with coke as it is just fine on its own.

So Duaned try Black Cock and let us know what you think . Suggest you start with a small one , if you like it you can have a stiff one straight up.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Oh well- they say if you try Black you never go back - there is a whisky called Black Cock ? Never seen it ? 

I believe there's an ale called Speckled Hen you can use as a chaser.

If anyone has lived in the UK and spent any time drinking Scotch whisky, then all of the whisky on offer in Thailand will taste like utter garbage. Even Johnny Walker, which seems to be ubiquitous, is pretty poor.

Edited by pr9spk

Golden Stag is not too bad, it's 35% and 299 at Big C, quite a nice aroma, apparently it's conditioned in old sherry barrels. When I read it is imported I thought a reasonable price for a Scots whisky, just read the back of the bottle, it's imported from Vietnam. OK on the rocks.

But when you can buy a bottle of whisky for a lot less than wine, it is a bit of a no brainer.

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

And Sangsom is rum not whisky.

I have not tried Black Cock with coke as it is just fine on its own.

So Duaned try Black Cock and let us know what you think . Suggest you start with a small one , if you like it you can have a stiff one straight up.

Or have one in Nana Plaza, you may find you have two stiff ones straight up concurrently.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, shaurene said:

https://www.thailandunique.com/image/cache/catalog/black-cock-thai-whiskey-600x800.jpg

Label  says Thai Whisky 40% not tried it or seen it in shops. Will look and try it.

I bought a bottle for a mate last week as it was his 65th bithday.  Just to say " There you go a large Black Cock just what you have always wanted "   Funny thing is it is rather good and from my local off licence was 140B for 70cl.  Not as good as the Sothern Comfort last week from over the border ,75cl ...400B

20 hours ago, wump said:

True that. Tastes fine just with ice and soda and maybe a splash of coke as well.

I remember Regency being quite nice. But it's a bit pricey compared to Blend 285 and not really worth the extra I think.

I always thought that Hong Thong, nam kang and soda was Thailand's national drink.

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I bought a bottle for a mate last week as it was his 65th bithday.  Just to say " There you go a large Black Cock just what you have always wanted "   Funny thing is it is rather good and from my local off licence was 140B for 70cl.  Not as good as the Sothern Comfort last week from over the border ,75cl ...400B

Yup, brought 3 330ml bottles back last year from LOS to my gay friend in Palo Alto CA who is an engineer/mixologist for a party.  The party conversation kept revolving around "just how much Black Cock have you had in you today".  All 3 bottles gone in the first 3rd of the party, late comers kept thinking there was a ebony stripper that had shown up and left.  Funnier than hell!

• Haha 2