Australian prime minister survives leadership contest

webfact

Looks like tomorrow Aust will have a new PM.  Turnbull has stated that if he gets a petition with a majority of members on it, he will call a Party meeting at lunchtime and declare the position vacant and resign and leave parliament. Then Dutton, Morrison and Bishop look likely to nominate themselves.  Looks like Dutton had the right idea, but didnt know how to close the deal.  Morrision would be more of the same, unless he changed direction away from Turnbull, and Julie is - well - Julie is an option if they want to go for the female vote.  Hey, who knows, maybe Barnaby will put his hand up ?   Probably any change of PM will result in an early election - especially if it is Julie chosen as leader.  

Liberal MP Karen Andrews says her understanding is the petition calling for a party room meeting now has 42 signatures. (She has just put her name to it it, she says, demanding an end to the chaos.).  If it is at 42, the petitioners only need one more signature to satisfy Malcolm Turnbull's demand and bring on the meeting at midday tomorrow.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-leadership-crisis-dutton-forces-intensify-push-for-second-challenge-20180823-p4zz66.html

Looks like it is going to be a long night and lots of knives.

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Looks like tomorrow Aust will have a new PM.  Turnbull has stated that if he gets a petition with a majority of members on it, he will call a Party meeting at lunchtime and declare the position vacant and resign and leave parliament. Then Dutton, Morrison and Bishop look likely to nominate themselves.  Looks like Dutton had the right idea, but didnt know how to close the deal.  Morrision would be more of the same, unless he changed direction away from Turnbull, and Julie is - well - Julie is an option if they want to go for the female vote.  Hey, who knows, maybe Barnaby will put his hand up ?   Probably any change of PM will result in an early election - especially if it is Julie chosen as leader.  

If MT resigns from the Parliament, then the government will probably lose its majority in the House so the GG will have a 1975-like decision to make - either ask the Leader of the Opposition if he can form a government with a Lower House majority which means, if Shorten says Yes, then he becomes PM but then has to call the Parliament together to test that he does indeed have a majority. Alternatively, if he says No I cannot guarantee a majority, then the GG dissolves at least the Lower House (and possibly the Senate as well) & calls an election.

Several difficult decisions for Cosgrove there. He will be sweating over being seen to make the right decision in each case, though he could well end up like Kerr in 1975 & detested by all sides. From Hero of Dili to feather duster in several small moves ...

What a shambles. The liberals will be in opposition for some time after the debacle of the last couple of days.

Julie Bishop for PM. That would be the biggest joke for a long time.

The Australian expats in Thailand will suffer. The exchange rate is dropping like a lead weight

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

The exchange rate is dropping like a lead weight

Not helped by the US/China trade spat, with Oz as lateral damage.

It will recover. When? next week? after the next election? - depends who wins. But most of all of course it depends on the performance of the Oz economy: high growth (not far off) leads to higher inflation leads to higher wages & higher interest rates leads to better xrate. That's the theory at any rate ...

14 hours ago, markaoffy said:

No it’s not ! Scott Morrison is gonna be PM

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As far as I'm aware that isn't the same as Malcolm Turnbull?

If you are talking about the next leader, I'd put my money on Julie Bishop, but she may have more sense....  I suspect anyone who gets the post could be gone within days to a vote of no confidence & a GE

Anyhoo....... whoever they chose it is Shorten who will end up as PM.

14 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Liberal MP Karen Andrews says her understanding is the petition calling for a party room meeting now has 42 signatures. (She has just put her name to it it, she says, demanding an end to the chaos.).  If it is at 42, the petitioners only need one more signature to satisfy Malcolm Turnbull's demand and bring on the meeting at midday tomorrow.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-leadership-crisis-dutton-forces-intensify-push-for-second-challenge-20180823-p4zz66.html

Looks like it is going to be a long night and lots of knives.

Votes now reached 43, so Turnbull is out. Be interesting to see what happens if Dutton is ruled out today due Constitutional breaches.

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

when he left the cop force his workmates gave him a going away present of a can of dog food.

I'm hoping against hope that's a true story. I have my doubts, it just sounds too perfect.

And here I was thinking Stralya was immune to this Trump/Brexit madness that seems to be sweeping the collective Anglo-Saxon world. Looks like I was wrong.

1 hour ago, NumbNut said:

I'm hoping against hope that's a true story. I have my doubts, it just sounds too perfect.

And here I was thinking Stralya was immune to this Trump/Brexit madness that seems to be sweeping the collective Anglo-Saxon world. Looks like I was wrong.

Not quite the same in Oz: they're a small - but of course - noisy minority. The main reason for MT's ouster is his weakness, political misjudgments & general ineffectiveness.

Which shows that, in politics, being rational & intelligent is not enough.

1 hour ago, NumbNut said:

Huh, you do realise Murdoch started out in Oz, right?  ?

The second spill is on, Liberal (conservative) party meeting currently underway, Turnbull is not standing.  There will be a new PM this afternoon.

Quote from Abbott on the Fairfax websites: "Abbott adds the Liberals are patriots and ...".

Sickens me no end that American crap like that is finding its way in to our politics.  Both sides of politics are 'patriots', no side owns it and it's not even a term we use in Australia.   

Morrison will have to have Dutton & Abbott in his cabinet to keep them busy & to keep an eye on them. Basically he's a good (moderate & sensible) choice. But there's still a question whether he'll have a majority in the House of Reps - assuming Tumbril resigns from his seat.

Clearly Malcolm was on the nose enough to warrant a change - a good move.

That he complained so much about what was done to him, when he did the same thing to Abbott, speaks volumes as to why he had to go.

Morrison was an Abbott ally back in 2014/15 - I wonder if they are still close enough to mend the bridge.

Dutton can stay Home Affairs, but what to do with Abbott?  Treasurer? Defence? Hire an Assasin?

I hope Morrison will reverse many of Turnbull's 'budget saving measures' - otherwise the Libs/Nats are probably still 'gone' at next election.

Archived