Australian prime minister survives leadership contest

webfact

Australian prime minister survives leadership contest

2018-08-20T235556Z_1_LYNXNPEE7J1ON_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-POLITICS-ELECTION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Australia's Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and German Chancellor Angela Merkel (not pictured) address the media following their talks in Berlin, Germany, April 23, 2018. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch/File Photo

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull survived a leadership challenge by Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton on Tuesday, a government official said, which came after weeks of speculation and falling opinion poll ratings.

Turnbull won the vote for the leadership of the Liberal Party, the senior party in the government coalition, over Dutton by 48 votes to 35, chief government whip Nola Marino told reporters.

Turnbull declared the leadership of the government open earlier on Tuesday amid a backbench uprising as opinion polls showed the government on course for a heavy election defeat in a ballot due next year.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-21

3 hours ago, car720 said:

He is too much of a pussy.

If he walked into the party room and fired a few of them then the rest would fall down and kiss his feet.

Didn't need to!

they fell on their own swords

Turnbull has been trying to get an energy bill through his party room. He's chopped and changed it in attempts to appease the ultra conservative members there, but they still reject it as part of their attacks on his leadership.

Never has it been more transparent that pollies are in it for their own financial futures and not for the well being of the country and the people.

Dutton has been hitting the phones overnight trying to  change the minds of just 7 of these hobbesians to give him the numbers to take the leadership.

Change  may still come as early as today.

Mal and his mal-contents are in trouble.  Looks like there will be a second challenge later today.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-leadership-crisis-second-challenge-looms-as-dutton-forces-regroup-20180822-p4zyx7.html

Those who have read my views on other threads will know I am not a big fan of Turnbull (although I was at first) and am planning to vote Labor if he is still PM (first time since 1983).  Since Turnbull took over as PM when he ousted Abbott, he has been a major dissappointment.  Another politician who looked and sounded great to get the job but once in the job he has proven to be a dud (like Obama).

Since Turnbull has been PM, he has taken away most of the 'incentives' introduced by Howard when he was PM, has reduced Super benefits and implemented a lot of restrictions on paying into Super, has reduced a huge range of tax benefits to workers, has proposed increasing the pension age to 70 (already one of the highest at 67).  He has done that, and a lot more, to reduce costs - being a merchant banker he thinks balancing the budget is more important than looking after those that voted for you.  

Hopefully Dutton will succeed today, and if he doesnt then hopefully Abbott will use the instability to take back his old job as PM. 

Back in the 90s there was a similar situation in the Liberals when Howard and Peacock fought for the Liberal Party leadership - at the expense of the Party.  Howard was a smart politician who once he had consolidated his power in the Libs/Nats and became PM (sending Peacock to US as Ambassador), set about implementing conservative policies and looking after the Lib/Nats base - people who worked and paid taxes and invested in their retirement.  He became the 2nd longest serving PM is Australia's history, but he like Abbott was undone by a 'financial banker' (Costello), who also did not understand politics and what his role was meant to be (Treasurer - not PM). 

Turnbull has unfortunately shown himself to be more focussed on the financial matters, than on the politics (people).  Hopefully he will soon no longer be PM.

8 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Hopefully Dutton will succeed today, and if he doesnt then hopefully Abbott will use the instability to take back his old job as PM. 

Abbott broke all his electoral promises and those he made when he was ousted. Abbott is a bitter ultra conservative and IMO totally wrong for the future of Australia, as is Dutton; both way too divisive. If Turner retains power I'll vote for him at the next election, but not Abbott, Shorten or Dutton, I'd rather pay a fine.

32 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Turnbull has been trying to get an energy bill through his party room. He's chopped and changed it in attempts to appease the ultra conservative members there, but they still reject it as part of their attacks on his leadership.

Never has it been more transparent that pollies are in it for their own financial futures and not for the well being of the country and the people.

Dutton has been hitting the phones overnight trying to  change the minds of just 7 of these hobbesians to give him the numbers to take the leadership.

Change  may still come as early as today.

Maybe not today - but probably within a week or so.

The Senate just rejected Turnbull's Company Tax reductions (33% to 25%) - this was the cornerstone of his economic growth plan.  Whilst it is a good idea and makes economic sense, giving billions in tax cuts to businesses earning over $50M PA is just plain politically stupid.

There has been growing discontent with Turnbull for many months.  The recent by-election results further damaged him.  Within the Party many have been considering whether tyo go into the next election with Turnbull as PM.  Turnbull reacted to this by declaring the leadership vacant at the Party meeting yesterday, catching many by surprise, including Dutton who was not ready to challenge yet. Turnbull won by only 48 to 35 votes, and following that vote 10 of his Ministers resigned - including Dutton of course.   Dutton (or even Abbott) only needs to convince 7 members to change their vote - a very slim nuimber. 

Turnbull had obviously thought he could smash the discontent by getting them all to back down and give him their support.  Like most of Turnbull's decisions as PM, he has failed to understand that politics is all about the people.  Whilst the economy is the number one reason the people will vote to  keep a Govt, the 'people issues' are why they vote a Govt out - as Howard found out the hard way.  Turnbull is simply not a people person - never has been and never will be.

You are dead right about Pollies being mainly concerned with their own vested interests.  When you lose by-elections by huge swings and your own seat is under threat, all 'for the country' issues become irrelevant when it is clear that an election tomorrow means you will lose your seat/job.

26 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Abbott broke all his electoral promises and those he made when he was ousted. Abbott is a bitter ultra conservative and IMO totally wrong for the future of Australia, as is Dutton; both way too divisive. If Turner retains power I'll vote for him at the next election, but not Abbott, Shorten or Dutton, I'd rather pay a fine.

I cant see Turnbull winning the next election. It is a long way before one must be held (May 2019) and that is a very long time in politics, but I cant see Turnbull winning unless he reverses all his economic policies - especially those about people in their 50s to 70s and immigration and power costs and GST and company tax rates.  Turnbull is a very 'self focussed' person and I am not sure he is 'big' enough to admit he was wrong and change course.  He will believe he can change other people's minds through logic and intelligent argument - something that doesnt work that often when it comes to politics.  

If Turnbull is still leader at the next election, then Shorten is currently favourite to win.  Turnbull only won the last election by the skin of his teeth, because the Labor Party was in such disarray. Shorten has proven to be a stabilising and controlling leader, and has clearly got the left-wing nutters in his Party to realise that instability and in-fighting are death to the Labor Party in an election.  Turnbull has further disenfranchised many traditional Liberal voters (like me) and there are a LOT of people in the 50+ bracket that have had enough, and we like what Shorten is saying and the policies of the Labor Party.  We dont like what Turnbull and the Libs have said and done over the last 2 years, and that is why the Libs/Nats got smashed in the last by-elections.

Dutton is a conservative and will change the course of the Govt back to what a conservative Govt should be - like under Howard.  And I do believe he can win the next election.  That view is also based on how quickly the Labor Party has come out and attacked Dutton.  When any Party is about to change leaders, and the other Party sees the possible alternative leader as a better option for themselves, they always keep quiet and let the other Party implode.  Dutton is less devisive and can 'heal' things after a change within the Party, and Labor sees that as a bad thing.  If it was Abbott going for the takeover I think Labor would be keeping quiet. 

10 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

When Turnbull goes I hope they get rid of Julie Bishop as well. She is  hopeless. Turnbull is too far to the left for the Liberals.

Julie is a nice lady - but she is as thick as two short planks. 

Pity - the Libs could use a strong intelligent female leader - Julie only has 1 of 3 ?

3 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I cant see Turnbull winning the next election. It is a long way before one must be held (May 2019) and that is a very long time in politics, but I cant see Turnbull winning unless he reverses all his economic policies - especially those about people in their 50s to 70s and immigration and power costs and GST and company tax rates.  Turnbull is a very 'self focussed' person and I am not sure he is 'big' enough to admit he was wrong and change course.  He will believe he can change other people's minds through logic and intelligent argument - something that doesnt work that often when it comes to politics.  

If Turnbull is still leader at the next election, then Shorten is currently favourite to win.  Turnbull only won the last election by the skin of his teeth, because the Labor Party was in such disarray. Shorten has proven to be a stabilising and controlling leader, and has clearly got the left-wing nutters in his Party to realise that instability and in-fighting are death to the Labor Party in an election.  Turnbull has further disenfranchised many traditional Liberal voters (like me) and there are a LOT of people in the 50+ bracket that have had enough, and we like what Shorten is saying and the policies of the Labor Party.  We dont like what Turnbull and the Libs have said and done over the last 2 years, and that is why the Libs/Nats got smashed in the last by-elections.

Dutton is a conservative and will change the course of the Govt back to what a conservative Govt should be - like under Howard.  And I do believe he can win the next election.  That view is also based on how quickly the Labor Party has come out and attacked Dutton.  When any Party is about to change leaders, and the other Party sees the possible alternative leader as a better option for themselves, they always keep quiet and let the other Party implode.  Dutton is less devisive and can 'heal' things after a change within the Party, and Labor sees that as a bad thing.  If it was Abbott going for the takeover I think Lan=bor would be quiet. 

For me you make some valid points, but  I just do not trust Dutton. Shorten would likely be a better decision maker for the less well off, I don't trust him for the bigger picture. 

12 hours ago, ronrat said:

An exQLD copper as PM. Bloody hell.

Exactly what I have been trying to tell people.

If ever there was someone with a little Hitler complex it is this guy.

Give him any power and he will rip off both of your arms.

Mark my words.

Mathias Cormann, Finance Minister and the government's leader in the Senate, has just gone into the Prime Minister's office. A lot of this hinges on Cormann. A leading conservative, his support has been an important component of Malcolm Turnbull's leadership. Both the Turnbull and Dutton camps agree that the PM is finished if he loses Cormann's support. 

So his visit to Turnbull's office could be a significant – one in which he is informing the PM of a fateful decision – or it could be nothing. Time will tell. 

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-leadership-crisis-second-challenge-looms-as-dutton-forces-regroup-20180822-p4zyx7.html

Those who think it's terrible that Turnbull (or anyone else) concentrates on finances & economics need to get a grip.

(1) The numbers relating to superannuation & pensions are inexorable. NO government - practically anywhere in the Western world - can meet people's expectations of the Nanny State (which everyone loves to disparage but expects to look after them cradle to grave). The money is not there, there are too many old people and not enough young people working to pay for it all. Something has to give. Shorten can't avoid this any more than Turnbull.

(2) The origins of our modern democracies are in the battles between barons & kings, and then between parliaments & kings from the C12th thru the C19th. And it was all about money & taxes. Politics is about: what do we want to spend money on? and who's going to pay? 'Policy' is the draft answers to those questions.

In a press conference alongside Scott Morrison and Mathias Cormann, Malcolm Turnbull has announced the government will not take company tax cuts for large companies to the next election. Spruiking the government's economic agenda and going through the case for tax cuts, he says the government has to recognise the numbers and political reality. 

In another policy reset, the PM says the government will keep the energy supplement, a payment origininally introduced with the carbon tax as compensation for increased power prices. Until now, the government's policy has been to axe the supplement.

Very Interesting. Turnbull appears to be changing course - something I didnt see him doing. Maybe if he changes a few more and recinds the pension age of 70, I will believe that this is a change of path amd direction.

Ideological divisions in Liberal Party, been their for many years. The climate change denying, anti immigration ,cut tax for wealthy ,conservatives and the moderate progressives. So Dutton is the current figurehead with his blackshirts in-line behind!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Obviously the name Liberal party is becoming more and more a misnomer. There may be 1 or 2 left in it. Howard loved living at Kirribilli and was prepared to piss away a lot of the proceeds of the mining boom to do so. The only good policy he drove was the GST.

Sine he was rolled, we are really struggling. Rudd was a mess and it cruelled any chance of Gillard being any good. Not sure if she was capable or not.

Abbott, bloody hell; pity he didn't shirtfront himself. What an embarrassment. Turnbull has been a massive disappointment. At the next election I won't be voting in the Reps, because of the mandatory preferences which will mean my vote will devolve down to one of the major parties. Fortunately I can vote limited preferential, above the line, in the Senate.

By the way you only get fined if you don't attend and have your name crossed; voting is private and up to you.

19 hours ago, Cats4ever said:

Obviously the name Liberal party is becoming more and more a misnomer. There may be 1 or 2 left in it. Howard loved living at Kirribilli and was prepared to piss away a lot of the proceeds of the mining boom to do so. The only good policy he drove was the GST.

Sine he was rolled, we are really struggling. Rudd was a mess and it cruelled any chance of Gillard being any good. Not sure if she was capable or not.

Abbott, bloody hell; pity he didn't shirtfront himself. What an embarrassment. Turnbull has been a massive disappointment. At the next election I won't be voting in the Reps, because of the mandatory preferences which will mean my vote will devolve down to one of the major parties. Fortunately I can vote limited preferential, above the line, in the Senate.

By the way you only get fined if you don't attend and have your name crossed; voting is private and up to you.

Unless there's been a change in the Aussie preferential voting system I'm not aware of, my understanding is you CAN vote for a minor party/independent in the House of Reps and ensure your vote will not go to the two major parties if that's what you want.

First step, vote for your first choice as you normally would (number one in the box next to the your first-choice candidate) and then vote each remaining vote with the same number, (number 2 in each remaining box on the ballot paper). If you don't miss a box your vote is legal and will be accepted.

It's crucial you don't leave an empty box. Then your vote is valid, will be counted, and not go the major parties if your vote loses out in the early voting counts.

Anyone know if this is still the case?

Archived