Sounds good but only with the following provisos:

1. It's enforced

2. No "negotiations" with the police

3. Same law for all, regardless of nationality, class or position

Any chance of this happening?

ZERO CHANCE 

_20171227_140659_copy.jpg

45 minutes ago, losworld said:

yeah but my guess is they will be able to use it extort money from farangs not having a valid motorbike license for instance... notice the "valid" license quote...

I have to warn Germans, who think they can drive around here with the regular "International driving license" This license according to " Vienna Agreement" from the 8.11.1968 is valid almost all over the world, but not in Thailand, as it never has been ratified by Thailand. They need to apply for an International Driving License according to the treaty from Paris on 24.4.1926. That one is valid in Thailand.

https://www.siam-info.de/papierkrieg/fuehrerschein.html

Ha!! This will be interesting. So if all the Thai's that do not have a license stop driving? The roads will be empty! However if they are referring to a license that can be purchased, as you can with a boats skippers license? Then what is the point?  A license is only any good, if you have taken a test, that actually involves learning how to drive??? I do not believe such a test exists in Thailand?  Has the license's of the skippers and crew of the ill fated dive boat in Phuket been inspected as yet. If any of them had a license? Where did they get them from? The whole thing is a total joke!

Rules are rules and the law is the law. I KNOW, Bla bla bla

BUT what do they think will happen? Less accidents, because later all people will have a license, which is worth sh.t because they are practically giving away the licenses.

When are they waking up and start to REALLY make changes. Like don't give a license if you cannot demonstrate that you can actually drive the vehicle AND comply with all the traffic rules etc. And not just a 1 minute demonstration, but an extensive and very strict driving exam for motorcycles, cars, trucks etc etc. Not just move the car a few meter, but a driving exam on the public roads AND highways including parking reversing turning and so on.

That AND enforcing all the rules already in place, THEN you can expect some changes for the good after some time.

8 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

I have to warn Germans, who think they can drive around here with the regular "International driving license" This license according to " Vienna Agreement" from the 8.11.1968 is valid almost all over the world, but not in Thailand, as it never has been ratified by Thailand. They need to apply for an International Driving License according to the treaty from Paris on 24.4.1926. That one is valid in Thailand.

https://www.siam-info.de/papierkrieg/fuehrerschein.html

After their demise at the World Cup there are not many Germans showing their faces in this soccer mad country anyway so don't worry too much.

A couple of years ago my wife got stopped on her scooter for a routine check.  Told the police that she'd left her licence at home. Fined 100 baht, reduced to 40 baht on appeal. Later I asked her why she hadn't shown her licence as she always carries it with her. She replied, "No have motorcycle licence, fine for licence at home cheaper". She's a very thrifty lady.

A couple of weeks ago, our maid (20), got stopped on my wife's bike, running an errand. No helmet, no licence, fined 400 baht. My wife paid it at the local police station and gave the maid a dressing down for "not negotiating".

Had an accident with an old thai who drove a motorcycle. He had no driver's license, no helmet, total deaf, poor eyesight and bad brakes. At the police station (Pattaya dark side), the police officer decided to reduce fines to 100 baht for no driving license and 100 baht for no helmet. I received a fine of 500 baht because I questioned the decision.

1 minute ago, Hans Rayong said:

Had an accident with an old thai who drove a motorcycle. He had no driver's license, no helmet, total deaf, poor eyesight and bad brakes. At the police station (Pattaya dark side), the police officer decided to reduce fines to 100 baht for no driving license and 100 baht for no helmet. I received a fine of 500 baht because I questioned the decision.

The 500 baht was probably a lot less to you than the 200 baht was to him.

Som nam na.

Just now, Spidey said:

The 500 baht was probably a lot less to you than the 200 baht was to him.

Som nam na.

What worries me that the police do not think it's strange that a 73-year-old man without driving license, who is deaf, semi-blind and drives a motorcycle with bad brakes.

Next time he will probably die or get hurt when he crashes with a farang.

Guess who have to pay then?

Driving without a driver's license should give a month's imprisonment, not 100 baht fine.

My guess is at least 30% of drivers dont hold a valid driving license. Less than 50% carry enough insurance to cover anything. In my many years of driving here I have been rear ended twice. Neither driver had a license and one the taxi driver did have insurance. The insurance company paid out even though the taxi driver had no DL...

Just now, Hans Rayong said:

What worries me that the police do not think it's strange that a 73-year-old man without driving license, who is deaf, semi-blind and drives a motorcycle with bad brakes.

Next time he will probably die or get hurt when he crashes with a farang.

Guess who have to pay then?

Driving without a driver's license should give a month's imprisonment, not 100 baht fine.

It's Thainess. Just be positive and think that it won't be you that he crashes into.

Hand on heart, I wouldn't have argued, I probably would have paid his fine. Cheaper for you.

A couple of weeks ago, I was stationary in a line of traffic. A young Thai boy came up behind me, texting, and hit my rear. I checked the damage, fairly superficial, he waied me and apologised profusely. I waved him on his way with a smile. He couldn't believe I wasn't going to call the police.

I retired to Thailand for one reason, the people (esp. Issan people) show me love, kindness and generosity on a daily basis. Always nice to give a bit back. Try it. Warms the cockles of your heart.

I just had to go to the bedroom and changed my underpants, I peed in them laughing.

how can you pass a driving test for a license by answering if the light is "Yellow, Green or Red. And put your foot on the brake, then get your license. 

They cannot say that people have to go through a driving school to learn how to drive like in Western country's because there are no testers that know how to drive. 

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's Thainess. Just be positive and think that it won't be you that he crashes into.

{snipped}

I retired to Thailand for one reason, the people (esp. Issan people) show me love, kindness and generosity on a daily basis. Always nice to give a bit back. Try it. Warms the cockles of your heart. 

Is that some sort of pre-heated food?

(sorry!)

Just now, Torrens54 said:

Congratulations Khun Sanit of the Deoartnent of Transport for

displaying SANITY !

At long, long last SOMEINE is taking affirmative action to reduce our 

Daily Slaughter in the Roads.

I think the flaw in your argument is affirmative action. Would be a first for Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

Good/.

The sooner the better! If someone hit me without documents I would be very angry!

If i have to be legal, why not everyone should have to be? 

This has been overlooked for to long! You wouldn't do this in your own Country!

Anger is not your friend in Thailand. I now regard Thailand as my country, my home. I have learned to live with, nay appreciate, it's little foibles.

Despite the toughening of the law in this case being a good idea, it is pretty meaningless unless enforced well so that Thais actually bother to follow it. For example, when there is a major holiday you always read about that nationally, over like 5 days,  of approx 75,000 drivers being stopped at check points being unable to produce a license...I mean, come on! The average Thai's apathy and general belief that they are somehow special with rules/laws only being for other people is going to be a tough one to reign in on something like this.

Archived