Huge increase in fines and jail terms for drivers without licenses

webfact

On 8/21/2018 at 8:38 AM, Prairieboy said:

Now to enact the changes then to find someone to enforce them. (or will it simply open the door for more lucrative handouts to the BIB!)

Now if one knows he has a suspended or no license, he fails to produce one and comes out lightly!!!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

There are many farangs here who dont believe the rules should apply to them, getting a Thai DL is so very straight forward and cheap.

One should applaud the authrorites for even making these changes and making the penalties meaningful, and one hopes this translates to improved safety on the roads generally, and gets a lot of those dangerous old farang pensioners off the roads, who are obviously riding with no license and cant really ride their motocys properly, and have even seen them riding with kids on bikes, no helmets etc...and given they are farangs and should know better, one can only hope the police throw the book at these people 

I have no problem with that, the real problems will start when they take a look at the rest 5555555555

On 8/21/2018 at 8:56 AM, madmitch said:

Sounds good but only with the following provisos:

1. It's enforced

2. No "negotiations" with the police

3. Same law for all, regardless of nationality, class or position

Any chance of this happening?

The infamous snowball's chance in you-know-where.

I don't know if it is my previous training BUT I would like to see the objective for this and some analysis to support it. Why not try it out in one area and do a matched comparison?

As I look to many walks of life...for example politics in the west, there is never any evidence merely ideology...similarly here, are unlicensed drivers a problem? Do they, on average, cause more problems than licensed drivers? In Thailand where you can buy a driver's license for a few thousand baht even if you cannot drive, will pursuing unlicensed drivers bring any benefits in terms of fewer accidents and road deaths? And how can you analyse the current data when only deaths at the scene are recorded as being due to accidents?

All this will do is drive up the price of the tea money for the police who ask for it. If the fine is 2000baht, one might pay 2-400 and feel it was worth it.....if the fine is 50,000, what cop will accept 2-400 to let you drive on?

16 hours ago, hobz said:

I don't think a driving license in Thailand means u can drive safely. 

So what difference does it make if everyone has a license or not??

The license test is basically a glorified parking test. Means u can park. That's it.

They need to increase fines for reckless driving, drunk driving and speeding.

Then if they could set up a camera system everywhere that catches all the illegal lane changing I would be very happy.

So you'd be happy with just recording the video of illegal lane changing? Do you actually think the video would be used for anything other consuming a lot video image memory? For how many days/months/years/centuries would you recommend retaining the videos?

15 minutes ago, jorgenweihrauch said:

Its OK but how to get that kind of money from foor Thai people

Dont give it another thought it wont involve the poor Thai to any great extent

The authorities have to tread fairly carefully and they know how far they can go

They dont want to kill the golden goose or break the camels back altogether

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I don't know if it is my previous training BUT I would like to see the objective for this and some analysis to support it. Why not try it out in one area and do a matched comparison?

As I look to many walks of life...for example politics in the west, there is never any evidence merely ideology...similarly here, are unlicensed drivers a problem? Do they, on average, cause more problems than licensed drivers? In Thailand where you can buy a driver's license for a few thousand baht even if you cannot drive, will pursuing unlicensed drivers bring any benefits in terms of fewer accidents and road deaths? And how can you analyse the current data when only deaths at the scene are recorded as being due to accidents?

All this will do is drive up the price of the tea money for the police who ask for it. If the fine is 2000baht, one might pay 2-400 and feel it was worth it.....if the fine is 50,000, what cop will accept 2-400 to let you drive on?

You have to look at it in a different way.

For the vast majority here a licence is not something that you have to put effort and thought into getting. It's just the same as a credit or ATM card. 

I have a bank account so give me a card, I have a car so give me a licence, it's as simple as that.

Once I have a car I am more important than you because I think I am.

The policeman who tells me I was driving too fast or dangerously only has a motorbike so he really doesn't matter. If he doesn't have a car how can he tell me how to drive.

I'll stop now.

?

On 8/21/2018 at 2:14 PM, pokerface1 said:

Prayut said he was going to solve the traffic problem within 3 months or was it 6 months. Anyway if they implemented these new laws there certainly won't be any traffic problem. The economy will grind to a halt that's for sure.

Wake me up I think I'm dreaming?

The concept of time is diffrrent in thailand you must have noticed the passing of time here varies so these would be thai months which can vary in length to fill the time needed for any purpose from a few days to many years that way prayut will always do what he promiced within the specified time    the government has the same flexable calender in the same way

You will get used to this in time 

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Just had a stupid thought

Teach people to drive .......  naaaaaa       just too crazy an idea even for thailand ...

On 8/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, webfact said:

The proposals further state that drivers who fail to produce a valid licence when requested can be fined 10,000 baht up from the previous 1,000 baht.

That sounds as if its in line with most countries, but 50,000 should only apply for repeat offenders, plus a jail term 3rd time, say 6-12 months, plus 100,000 baht fine just to stick it right in where it hurts.

On 8/22/2018 at 3:47 PM, Pedrogaz said:

The objective is to force the hundreds of thousands of unlicensed drivers to get a license and hopefully that also means they must attend the lectures and gain proper knowledge of the road rules etc.

The objective is to also get many many Thai people to understand the law is the law. You must abide by the law, break the law and get punishment which hurts.

The objective is to reduce accidents and the reduce the second highest in the world death toll.

The only thing that will happen is that more people will buy their license, nothing else.

Anyone must be totally dumb to believe that they will drive any better because they will have a license.

It might even be worst: feeling safe with coppers because they have a license, only the sky is the limit...

29 minutes ago, gaff said:

The only thing that will happen is that more people will buy their license, nothing else.

Anyone must be totally dumb to believe that they will drive any better because they will have a license.

It might even be worst: feeling safe with coppers because they have a license, only the sky is the limit...

Yes. But its a good step towards improvement.

The next logical step is to start taking / confiscating the drivers license of speeders, reckless drivers, serial violators etc.

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Yes. But its a good step towards improvement.

The next logical step is to start taking / confiscating the drivers license of speeders, reckless drivers, serial violators etc.

Yes you have put your finger on the next problem as in "the next logical step"

Lets learn to walk shall we before we try running

You need to remove your "Western Head" and replace it with the "Asian Head"

Thats what Worzel would do 

Enforcing the thais to hold a licence will not work the ones that hold them now many haven’t a clue on road rules, don’t get me started on thais on bikes. They have no fear the attitude is it won’t happen to me, they will continue to ride on the wrong side of the road. Not use indicators or not worry if the headlight does not work. The road toll for years just keeps climbing, and it will continue to do so.i guarantee.licence or no licence

7 minutes ago, maccastime said:

Enforcing the thais to hold a licence will not work the ones that hold them now many haven’t a clue on road rules, don’t get me started on thais on bikes. They have no fear the attitude is it won’t happen to me, they will continue to ride on the wrong side of the road. Not use indicators or not worry if the headlight does not work. The road toll for years just keeps climbing, and it will continue to do so.i guarantee.licence or no licence

Yes, and it's ok as long as they kill each others. I agree with the Thai government, too many Thai in this country already !

52 minutes ago, gaff said:

Yes, and it's ok as long as they kill each others. I agree with the Thai government, too many Thai in this country already !

I think they should introduce a new style crash helmet, for the super smart.

This one has all the safety features required, maybe sell it,  with a free universal all protection Amulet.

Paper hat.jpg

On 8/22/2018 at 8:59 AM, Scottjouro said:

Do you have a Thai license or have ever visited a Thai DMV ?...dont tell porkies now...times have changed in getting a Thai DL, not so easy as even 15 years ago when i got mine...

Took motorbike license about 5 years ago and car about 2 years ago. 

It probably was even easier before, heard it was 30 questions instead of 50.

But the practical test is bullshit still today. It doesn't prove that you can drive. At all. 

8 hours ago, hobz said:

Took motorbike license about 5 years ago and car about 2 years ago. 

It probably was even easier before, heard it was 30 questions instead of 50.

But the practical test is bullshit still today. It doesn't prove that you can drive. At all. 

Yes and the heap of bodies also seems to confirm that as well 

On 8/24/2018 at 5:09 AM, scorecard said:

The objective is to force the hundreds of thousands of unlicensed drivers to get a license and hopefully that also means they must attend the lectures and gain proper knowledge of the road rules etc.

The objective is to also get many many Thai people to understand the law is the law. You must abide by the law, break the law and get punishment which hurts.

The objective is to reduce accidents and the reduce the second highest in the world death toll.

The real objective is to collect profits from fines and assorted schemes. 

Has little to do with promoting the regulated and general well being of the good citizenry.

20 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Yes and the heap of bodies also seems to confirm that as well 

25 years ago there was no test written or driving. Just fill in the form and 10 minutes later all done (at least that was at the office where I applied, Rayong).

Luckily I applied when lifetime licenses were still the norm (car and bike), so that's what I have today.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

25 years ago there was no test written or driving. Just fill in the form and 10 minutes later all done (at least that was at the office where I applied, Rayong).

Luckily I applied when lifetime licenses were still the norm (car and bike), so that's what I have today.

Its todays heap of bodies that are of concern, hopefully you are in a position not to add to them

Archived